Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Fender cutting...Anyone done it?

9K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Jesse14 
#1 Ā·
So I want to run a 32" tire (actually I WANT a full 33" but I'll settle for 32"). Does anyone have any experience with "what" is safe to cut out behind the wheel well liner? Just looking for any insight that someone might have. Lifting higher will do no good because of the way Honda built the shape of the wheel well. That only leaves me one alternative.... cutting. Please don't think I'm crazy. Coming from full size trucks I just like a little more meat underneath me. :)
Thanks!

#3 Ā·
Ha! Yes.. I just put on lift and wheels and tires. However, I won't be totally satisfied until I have at least 32" all terrains underneath. It may be a pipe dream with the way Honda designed this truck, but I'm going to keep trying! :) (Also still working on rock sliders under the doors.. ones that fit up real tight to the body and a winch bumper up front.) Come on Honda! Give us off road guys something to work with!

#6 Ā·
However, moving the axles back or forward, with whatever those Traxda guys did, along with using 1 and 2 inch spacers, and cutting the fender liner is just absurd. Just from a mechanical function point of view, they made a bastard out of the suspension geometry. I wonder what the shock angle is, and the type of strain it will be placing on the strut mount. It is safe to say that venture would only satisfy a very few with much emphasis on a compromised suspension geometry.

Well this G1 Baja truck stuffed 32" nicely with a set of King shocks and modified strut towers.

Also, in 2005, there was a Ridgeline Sport Concept in SEMA and it stuffed 305/40R22 under the wheel wells with some fender cutting. That tire was around 31.6" tall.

So using the same concept, you can stuff a 32" in you wheel well, use some aggressive offset and trim the hell out of the body panels and then yes, you can say you have a 32" tire under there. :). You are crazy as the rotational drag and its implications on a complicated drivetrain is not that well documented. Aside from Companies with much resource in R&D, HPD, and other unknown shops, not many have much experience on this.

Good luck.

#8 Ā·
Thank you!
I know.. I'm probably asking too much out of this truck. Just hoping I can take the Honda power train reliability - comfortable and spacious cabin - and combine them with the off road capability I'm looking for. I like to push platforms a little bit. Not rock-crawling mind you, but moderately tough trails. Maybe I purchased the wrong truck? Hoping not.

Reactions: Venphic
#7 Ā· (Edited)
My head is spinning just imagining what Traxda did to the front axles. I'd probably be satisfied with the 1.5" lift, a minor reduction in wheel offset, one size larger tire that leaves enough room for snow cables, and a good skid plate. I'm also warming up to Jsport's (overpriced) 3/4" rear lift as a way to re-capture a little bit of the forward rake to reduce potential calibration issues with Honda Sense systems. Oh, and I do wish Honda had given the G2 some front tow hook options. But first I have to buy the truck!

#14 Ā·
This has crossed my mind! However, when they relocated the axle, they decided not to cut into the rear of the fender... you can tell on the video that they didn't actually cut, probably because they would have to have cut into the passenger cabin floor. I'm thinking IF I do this, I will have to cut out the area needed and then shape new sheet metal that fits up into the hole I've opened up and weld it up. Sigh...
Thanks!

#16 Ā·
So I want to run a 32" tire (actually I WANT a full 33" but I'll settle for 32"). Does anyone have any experience with "what" is safe to cut out behind the wheel well liner? Just looking for any insight that someone might have. Lifting higher will do no good because of the way Honda built the shape of the wheel well. That only leaves me one alternative.... cutting. Please don't think I'm crazy. Coming from full size trucks I just like a little more meat underneath me. :)
Thanks!
I just did the flares on my 2020 BE and dropped it 2". The flares gotta come out anyways for your job. You pop them out with just screws and push pins so they are pretty easy to do. I sure didn't see much behind my fenders but you'll see for youself when you do it. You'll pay hell to remount them as you'll be removing most of their mounting holes in the fender edges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.