Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with my friend at my local dealer today, and accessories came up in the conversation, He told me to let all members know about the fender flare kit. They mount with screws on the bottom but only with double stick tape at the top and sides and it does not hold. If some one grabs them they can pull them off and break it at the screw points. They put a set on a truck for a customer and they wont stay on. Just passing the word.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
I was talking with my friend at my local dealer today, and accessories came up in the conversation, He told me to let all members know about the fender flare kit. They mount with screws on the bottom but only with double stick tape at the top and sides and it does not hold. If some one grabs them they can pull them off and break it at the screw points. They put a set on a truck for a customer and they wont stay on. Just passing the word.
I put my flares on and they are pretty rock solid, I did tug on them pretty hard to make sure. Very important for the double stick tape to work is to make sure the paint surface is totally clean and free of wax. I rubbed my down with mineral spirits. Maybe your friend just got some bad tape or put it on a dirty surface, who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,025 Posts
My dealer installed my flares on Friday. I noticed today that they were starting to gap in different areas... I pushed & held them all in and they seem to be holding. If they come apart again...back to dealer! They may charge a bit more, but a 3 yr warrenty helps:)
My car wash did wax it(spray wax) perhaps they didnt prep it before they installed. I'll post again if it falls apart & what they dealer fix will be. I still love this truck!
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
TheRidgester said:
My dealer installed my flares on Friday. I noticed today that they were starting to gap in different areas... I pushed & held them all in and they seem to be holding. If they come apart again...back to dealer! They may charge a bit more, but a 3 yr warrenty helps:)
My car wash did wax it(spray wax) perhaps they didnt prep it before they installed. I'll post again if it falls apart & what they dealer fix will be. I still love this truck!
Dave
Another thing is you are not supposed to get the truck wet for 24 hours after they are installed. I wonder if the dealer detailer guys might wash the truck not knowing what's installed, if you get 'em dealer installed be sure to request no wash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Ditto on the clean surface before installation. It must be free of any wax or dirt for the double sided tape to adhere correctly and remain dry at least 24 hours for the adhesive to cure. I'm still on the fence about adding these to my ridge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
I was talking with my friend at my local dealer today, and accessories came up in the conversation, He told me to let all members know about the fender flare kit. They mount with screws on the bottom but only with double stick tape at the top and sides and it does not hold. If some one grabs them they can pull them off and break it at the screw points. They put a set on a truck for a customer and they wont stay on. Just passing the word.
i would love to see pics of the flare kit installed?!?!
maybe we can stick wider tire/rims combo????
please post pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Im thinking 100% installation error for anyone whos had problems. Dont rule them out just yet because of this thread. i had mine dealer installed and they are GREAT. nearly seamless, and solid. They would NOT let me take delivery on the truck on time because it was a rainy day and they had just finished the flares. They kept it in the garage for over 24 hours before they would let me have it. And im pleased to wait. I think vertrkr is right, maybe they washed it after they installed them. I love mine.
talk to your dealership about the installations and the keeping it dry and the clean surface and i think youll do fine!
(and my dealership warrentys the install for the same 3yr 30K as the truck!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
DABRidgeman333 said:
(and my dealership warrentys the install for the same 3yr 30K as the truck!)
Your dealership is the key part of what you said, Honda claims to only cover the warranty itself if the parts are installed prior to delivery or were negotiated with the purchase of the vehicle (for parts that were back-ordered at the time of delivery). So your dealership may cover the part during that time but if you move, you will need to have the parts on your purchase and sales agreement for them to be covered.

As to the fender flares, I am currently in the utility only accessory mode right now, after laying out 30+K for the vehicle, buying extras just isn't something I can do. But I would agree, if done right, there is no reason they should ever come off unless someone really pries at them.
 

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
Joined
·
7,219 Posts
just bought a 2011 ridgeline dose anyone know whereI can get fender flare at
The Fender Flairs were only available for ‘06-‘08, the front bumper was redesigned and it takes significant custom body work to get it to work with ‘09 and later.

It’s been done and posted but might take some time to find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I was thinking about getting the fender flares. I think i'll pass. now. Put the money into something else. ;)
The flares are nice since they will protect the fenders from belt buckles, etc. Fenders are protected when leaning over the side either in the engine compartment or bed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
Joined
·
7,219 Posts
Thanks do you know who sales them
ebay or craigslist, as Honda no longer has them available, which was the only source
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top