Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few threads on replacing the plastic fender liner in the wheel well, but am having some trouble finding the exact combination of clips/screws that I need to do the job. My passenger side fender liner (HO1249125) wasn't replaced properly after a recent shop trip, and it has now been shredded from rubbing on the tire. I'm already missing a few of the plastic clips, and anticipate snapping a few more in the removal process. I'd like to order a complete set (for 1 side) to go along with the new liner, but can't seem to find a proper listing anywhere. Thought I'd check here as I'm seeing many varying sizes and types of these clips all over. Thanks much!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you have a dealer close by, as cheap as these are (relatively speaking), I'd pop in the parts dept., and let them look 'em up (point 'em out if you have to on their screen) & get the set you need - no waiting, no uncertainty.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,369 Posts
Unfortunately, these clips are not inexpensive from the dealer. If you can determine the size(s) you need, order them from Amazon.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Unfortunately, these clips are not inexpensive from the dealer. If you can determine the size(s) you need, order them from Amazon.
His problem is not knowing what to order.

If price is "prohibitive", which is totally subjective; then go to the dealer, find out what you need, and then shop price before you buy (Amazon vs. dealer).

Unless of course someone here can answer your question as to what to buy.

·
Super Moderator
23,369 Posts
I removed the plastic splash shield on our Pilot so I could take a look at the radiator/tranny fittings. IIRC, there were 3 different sized clips (many broke) and I did not do a good job keeping up with which went where. I bought replacements from the dealer and spent $25-$30 for what I later found I could buy on Amazon for just a few bucks. So while the dealer price won't break the bank, overspending does not represent value to me. ;) And as I recall, the dealer had little clue what sizes were needed too.

Now if I could just remember what sizes went where....

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yeah I ordered 3 bags from Amazon and none fit quite right. You have to get the right 8 or 10 mm then get the right length too. Two bags I bought said they were for the RL although only one was. I still have the splash guard in the garage. Luckily my son had a Civic that they fit his splash guard so it wasn't a total waste. Finding the lower ones has been quite the challenge. I think I'm buying one fron the dealer and then ordering a bag off Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
23,369 Posts
I wish the FSM called out the correct sizes used on the splash shield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stopped by the parts department at a local dealer, and they said they keep a hefty stock on hand. He recommended that I replace the liner (which i ordered online for ~$40), then come to him with exactly which clips are needed. They also offered to sell me a full compliment of clips for one liner replacement, then I could return whatever I do not use. He did warn that they can run anywhere from $1 to $6 a piece. With about 13 clips that I can see, that will add up quickly. Seeing them online for $5/bag...looks like there is an opportunity to save a few bucks. If I can obtain part numbers or specs, I'll post back.

·
Administrator
20,054 Posts
Beware of those inexpensive, bulk, non-"Honda" clips. I've been down that road before. Although I found exactly the right sizes, I encountered the following issues:

1) They can be molded poorly resulting in inconsistent shapes or extra pieces leftover from the molding process resulting in a poor fit.
2) The manufacturing tolerances can be sloppy resulting in size variations causing some to fit too lose and others to fit too tight.
3) The type of plastic used can either be too soft (rubbery) resulting in too much compression and too loose of a fit resulting in insufficient holding power or too hard (brittle) resulting in insufficient flex to fully insert the clip without breaking it.

You wouldn't think so much could go wrong with a cheap piece of plastic, but I find the "Honda" clips from a local or online dealer to be of the highest and most consistent quality. If you order in bulk from anywhere other than a Honda dealer, it'll be a crap shoot as to what you actually receive. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you don't. How much time are you willing to spend? :)

·
Super Moderator
23,369 Posts
Yikes. Good points Zrog. I haven't used any of the clips from my generic bag yet. Guess that may be another lesson that you frequently get what you pay for (not always true though).

·
Administrator
20,054 Posts
The biggest issue with the last clips I bought is that the plastic they were made out of was so hard they were hard to push through the metal hole without breaking apart.

Here are the two sizes I ordered most recently from Amazon. These were some of the better of the crappy clips. I believe these two sizes are the only ones found around the wheels on the Ridgeline.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts