Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time, I’m going with a professional installer in my vehicle instead of doing it myself. I live in Central KY and there’s only a couple of mobile audio installers within a 65 mile radius. One installer carries JL Audio and Boston Acoustics. The other Focal, Memphis Audio and Arc Audio.

My issue is the cheapest Focal model carried locally is the K2 line and they’re over my budget. Which brings me to Memphis Audio- my budget will allow me to get their MClass 6.5” components up front and MClass 6.5” Coax in the rear. Next problem is the installer only has the Memphis Audio ‘Power Reference’ grade of speakers in their listening booth. The MClass is two lines above the Power Reference.

I’m going Monday to audition the Power Reference speakers but would like feedback from anyone with any experiences (good / bad) with Memphis Audio and the MClass or Power Reference line of speakers. My guess is if I like the Power Reference, the MClass should be even better (supposedly on the high-end, according to their Sales Rep). But, I’m nervous to buy without hearing first.

My last system was all Infinity Kappa components that I bought without hearing due to an earlier Infinity Kappa system I had and loved- I assumed I would love the newer stuff. However, the last system was just too bright for me and too shallow in the mid range and I was never totally happy. Exception being the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 sub- it was awesome. I’ve kept it and the amp that drove it; they will be mated with whatever door speakers I get.

I sampled the brands available locally several months ago- the Focal’s sounded perfect- just beyond the budget. The Arc Audio sounded a little too strong /warm in the lower Frequencies. The JL Audio was okay; same for the Boston Accoustics- maybe a bit warm in the mid-range.

So, anyone here with much experience w/the Memphis Audio MClass, Power Reference or otherwise? Likewise if you have strong opinions for/against any of the brands mentioned above, I’m all ears. I know there are few things more subjective in mobile audio than speakers / SQL, but I’m interested in your opinions.

Thanks for reading this rambling post!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have not heard the Memphis components, only their high end subs, which are phenominal. If all you didn't like about the Arc was that the midbass was too strong, that can be tuned out. It's a lot harder to go the other way.

Good luck with whatever you end up with, and start a thread on your install. I can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completed an audition of the Memphis Audio 'Power Reference' (PR) 6.5" Components and the Focal K2 6.5" Components. I'm taking a risk and going w/the Memphis Audio because the MClass speakers were clearer than the PR line and close to the clarity and SQL of the Focal K2's. And they're approx. $200 less.

I was impressed w/the high end, clarity and tone of the Memphis Audio components and hope that buying their top-line MClass will get me close to the SQL of the Focal K2's.

I must say that I also auditioned a pair of Arc Audio Kar series K6006 components. If I were NOT going to have a sub for the low end, I would definitely consider these if I was buying only looking to replace the 4 door speakers. Their mid-bass was probably the best I've heard from a 6.5" speaker. Very surprising and very economically priced. When a sub was added, their low-end ability was a bit masked by the sub. But without the sub, their mid-bass was better than the Memphis Audio and Focal's. Their weak point was clarity on the high-end. It wasn't bad- just not as good as the Focal or Memphis Audio. Arc Audio is the company that makes the Chip Foose speakers that many of you see installed on Overhauling.

Anyway, an interesting day and I thought I'd share the experience.

Have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts