Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share with everyone...
I was under the impression that the Ridgeline was not capable of fifth wheel towing however I spoke with a representitive from American Honda and was told that the Ridgeline can tow a fifth wheel trailer as long as it is below the 5000lb rating. Kinda surprised me because I thought with the hight of the bed and the curved sides that it would pose an issue... I guess I stand corrected! :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts

Specific Questions to Ask :

Where and how is the 5th wheel hitch mounted ?

What is the corrected level hitch height on a proposed trailer
relative to the bed rails .

A 5th wheel trailer that is light enough to carry a load , with
the hitch and additional contents of the truck , would be hard to find .

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm curious as to how you would mount a 5th wheel hitch to a composite bed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2007 Ridgeline and I tow a 1988 Bigfoot 5th wheel. The trailer weighs 3800 lbs (dry). I bought a slider tow hitch. this is important because it allows the hitch to be located right over the rear axle. The hitch cannot be mounted to the composite bed. So, I had the hitch rails welded to oval steel bars. I removed the 4 bolts (2 over the axle and 2 right behind the cab) that anchor the bed to the frame. I drilled out the holes because the Honda bolts are fine thread and the 5th wheel torque would rip them out of the threads in the frame. I replaced them with #8 hardness 1/2" bolts with double nuts on the bottom side of the frame. In summary, the oval bar is bolted to the frame and straddles the composite bed. The 5th wheel rails are welded to the bars and the hitch fastens into the rails. The sliding mechanism is set towards the rear, so that the weight is over the wheels.

Speaking of weight, the tongue weight of the 5th wheel is 1,220 lbs. This makes the total weight of the vehicle (when hitched), two people and pets at 6,240 lbs., which is 200 lbs. over the vehicle's stated capacity. To compensate for this, I increase the tire pressure and I am thinking of getting air bladders. But, from a performance point of view I never have problems, including navigating Colorado's mountain highways. When towing, I average 10-12 MPG.

There is one problem that I encountered. I was backing the trailer in a tight space and it turned sharply to one side. The outer steel frame of the 5th wheel ran into the wing of the Ridgeline (see photo 3). It has been repaired, but it was an expensive lesson. Now, in tight places, I have someone watch to be sure I am not getting close to the wing.

When the rear steel beam is in place, it limits how far the trunk lid can be opened. But, when you are towing a 5th wheel, you really do not need trunk space. It takes me about 15 minutes to remove the rear bar to get full use of the trunk.

The Bigfoot factory had a fire about 10 years ago and the 5th wheel mold was destroyed and the factory closed. Now, the factory has new owners and they are producing some models, but not the 5th wheel yet. You can usually find used Bigfoot 5th wheels online.

The Scamp 5th wheel (http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/19FifthWheelTrailers/19Photos.aspx) is another brand in current production and it weighs only 2,000 lbs. I believe it uses a gooseneck hitch, but the engineering I used would still apply.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Hmmm interesting. I thought I saw a Ridge a few years ago with a fifth wheel trailer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
no pics with 5th wheel attached. But, I should have some soon and will post them. FYI, we have been doing this for 3 years with NO problems.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Love it when these old threads get resurrected; 7 years and 4 months old. Got to be a record for oldest thread revived. Interesting also when most thought the 5th wheel was not possible!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
How appropriate that this resurfaced. I was looking for a thread discussing 5th wheel trailers but coudln't find one, and didn't want to ask a stupid question as to why the RL can't pull a 5th wheel trailer. I will be following this with great interest as its time to move up from my popup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new member, but was wondering about this. As I've always wanted a small 5th wheel!!! This is great I can't wait to see some pics of this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
DonnieBob - that is awesome, I've been wondering if anyone had the guts to just go do it regardless of the fact that you had to fashion the mounting points yourself - good work man....

I don't tow much (uhaul box trailers on occasion), what are you using that trailer for? Pure hauling or a camper or ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts