Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up with E-85 after the pump hose hit the E-85 button after I had pressed the E-10-button on my 2007 RTX. I noticed the price was pretty cheap then saw the wrong button had been pushed and stopped it. I filled up with about 12.7 gallons. I then added another 1.7 gallons of straight unleaded to fill the tank. So, that means I had approx. 8.6 gallons of E-10 in the tank prior to the fill up. I talked to the Truck Stop mechanic and he said I should be fine. I was 60-miles from home. We made a stop and I added another 2.7 gal. of Unleaded. The truck ran well until the stop where the check engine and VTM-4 lights came on. I seems to be running normally.

I did a scan when I got home and here's what it said:

Actually both banks

My question is what to do? Shall I take it in and get the tank drained? or keep diluting it. I am concerned that I may have trashed the spark plugs at this point. The truck has 92k on ODO. Any suggestions moving forward? The dealership is less than a mile away.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
If it was me I'd just keep topping up with fuel, and attempt to pull and check the front spark plugs. You may have to change them but they are due soon unless you already changed them. Long term damage to fuel lines and such is related to the amount of water, ethanol fuel can contain, but if you can attempt to "siphon" it yourself you could try. I don't think I'd pay to pull the tank and drain the fuel, IMHO.

I'd also add this to your personal arsenal Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada it looks as if there are 215 Pure Gas stations in Nebraska, they do also have an app in the Apple App Store * in the Google Play Store.

If you do pull the plugs be sure to re-touque to 13 ft lbs.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm no expert... or even claim to be one, but I'd fill up with a few tanks of E0 to offset the E85. Any boat dock or airplane fueling station should have it.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been taking the long way home 6.5 miles vs. 50 miles to get E-85 out of the tank the last two days. The RL runs fine despite the Check Engine and VTM-4 lights coming on. I'm between 1/2 and 1/4 tank now. I'm going to drive it till the yellow light comes on and fill it with E-0 in the next day or two.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've been taking the long way home 6.5 miles vs. 50 miles to get E-85 out of the tank the last two days. The RL runs fine despite the Check Engine and VTM-4 lights coming on. I'm between 1/2 and 1/4 tank now. I'm going to drive it till the yellow light comes on and fill it with E-0 in the next day or two.
I think I would fill it up now with the E-0 rather than wait until empty. With only a 1/3 of a tank or so of the E85 left, you would end up with a much lower dilution of ethanol than you are currently running through there right now. My feeling is you want to reduce the ethanol concentration sooner than later. And keep refilling with E0 every time you hit half a tank or so for the next thousand miles...

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did find out what driving is like without the VTM-4 working. Only FWD with no traction control. Sucked on the snow and ice this morning. Felt like driving our old 1996 Civic...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts