Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the third tail light panel with my pals over at California Wraps yesterday morning. It was done by 2.

In the minds eye, it seemed like a good idea to continue the theme of black bed components up to the roof. After seeing it in place, I dunno. It might grow on me but for the moment, it just isn't as attractive as imagined.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Honda ridgeline

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Luxury vehicle

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Family car Windshield

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

Any thoughts? Cool think about vinyl. If you don't like what you see, just pull it off.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
I Like it, but, that's me...

Did you replace the parts which secure it down. Seems I've read on several different threads that if you don't in that location, that panel needs those plastic fasteners as strong as possible, because more than one time I've seen, people complaining that the panel "Sailed Away" @ freeway speeds.

I'll try to find some links, Like this one... Or Here

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Carsmak: WOH! Didn't know that about the clips concern. But I did notice the panel popped loose pretty easy this time around. I dunno how the panel could literally get launched cuz there's a pair of hefty 11mm (I think) nuts at the L & R sides of the assembly but I'm trying to undo my habit of letting my assumptions become truth. If people before I have had problems like that, I have no desire to duplicate that problem.

AG: The long term goal is to cover the whole body. There are areas of wear and not so well done clear coat repair that need to be addressed & I see vinyl as the perfect solution. For the moments, a couple nuts, snaps and screws to play with the panel was a 15 minute deal for an experiment. Specific to the roof between drip/rack rails, imagination steers me towards "chrome". Mostly cuz the roof is rarely directly viewed & a reflective surface might impede solar heat gain. Lotta sedans & coupes are running around here with blacked out roof panels. I like the way they look but in sunny So Cal, I don't care for the idea of increasing heat soak issues.

That's probably just another 1 of my hair brained ideas though.

Last photo...
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive exterior

· Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
When I've thought about the whole Vinyl Wrap thing I've thought about a "Flat Black" glare reducing Hood, but just the upper part, along with changing the color. I've already picked up a few parts and pieces to make the change "easier" in my mind.

Not sure how many Gas Monkey Garage fans there are but I really love the Hood on the 1963 Ford Falcon.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Never thought about doing the panel around the 3rd brake light. I like it!

I've toyed with the idea of doing the hood, or rockers, or bumper. I mocked all three up on PhotoShop a while back, but I'm still broke, too busy and undecided. :)

· Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Man, CoolBob, I really like it. I hadn't thought of the lower part in the front bumper. I've thought about some other areas, in 2006 the Chrome part near the Grill is painted, thought about blacking that out too. I saw another member who blacked out the lower rockers. I've thought about doing that with either a Ziebart type treatment or a Line-X/Rhino Liner type treatment to black out the lower rockers.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
Carsmak: WOH! Didn't know that about the clips concern. But I did notice the panel popped loose pretty easy this time around. I dunno how the panel could literally get launched cuz there's a pair of hefty 11mm (I think) nuts at the L & R sides of the assembly but I'm trying to undo my habit of letting my assumptions become truth. If people before I have had problems like that, I have no desire to duplicate that problem.
OhSix, multiple owners have lost that rear trim panel at highway speeds. Not fun.

Honda says to use new fasteners when you replace the panel. Actually, I believe they say to replace them if they are stress-whitened. But I think the safest move is to simply use new fasteners when you put the panel back in place.

· Registered
14 Posts
Here is my finished liquid wrap and emblem removal! Now I just need to add my Vinyls and bull bar (which are sitting in my garage) and I'll be done with my "step 1" for the RL.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts

I've toyed with the idea of doing the hood, or rockers, or bumper. I mocked all three up on PhotoShop a while back, but I'm still broke, too busy and undecided. :)

Looks classy to me. I like it.

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

That's one fine looking ride. Any problem with swiping your idea? LOL

Love it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.