Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 with 267k miles on it. I love this truck. I am the home depot, Lowes, grocery store, couple of kayaks city driver. I don't tow often or much. I need a truck for home improvement stuff and carrying kayaks and other things. I am not whining about the G2 truck. Honda did what they had to and things change. These are only my thoughts and my opinions. You do not have to agree with them. I am only giving another perspective. I WANT to love this truck. I just can't right now. I was optimistic that it would look better in person. It looked the same as the photos. I don't dislike the look and I am function over form. The nose seems very short to me. The truck reminds me of a Chevy S-10 (no offense to S-10 owners). I stopped at a dealership today and it was closed being Sunday. The FWD trim model I looked at was unlocked so I jumped in and sat down. Not too bad. Pretty comfy. Good visibility. Arm rests did not ratchet but they were comfortable. I had more room than I thought I would with the center console and shifter. I miss the space I have there in my G1. Seats were comfortable. The cup holders are too small. I got trashed on this complaint on another thread. I am not a super big gulp guy. I have a hydroflask with ice water with me 24/7 and it needs to go somewhere other than in my lap or on the seat next to me. Yes, I know there are adaptors but then it sits way up high. It is a small thing or non-issue to most. It fits fine in my G1. Looked in back. Doors don't open wide but others posted pics showing you can still fit stuff in there so maybe it's just a visual thing. The space from floor to bottom of seat seemed to be about an inch less than G1 (unless I remembered my numbers wrong). I thought someone posted there was more height there. You did seem to sit higher in the back. It still wasn't particularly comfortable but neither is sitting in my back seat. The trunk is tiny compared to the G1. If I remember my numbers right, the height is the same but it is 3 or 5 inches shorter (front to back) than the G1. If I remember right the G1 is 21 inches and the G2 is 16 or 18. It just looks super small.
I popped the hood and the ATF fill is in the same place but access is a bear because of hoses. It's like my wife's RDX. Impossible to get the fill bolt and washer out and back in. I use a magnet and luck to do it. I did not see a power steering reservoir so I wonder if it is electric. I may have just missed it. That front piece of plastic will not be fun to take off to change out the battery. The positive terminal is easily accessible but not the negative. I took the large plastic cover off the engine...uh-oh...3 of the 4 rubber grommets came out of the holder and one of the plastic holders was already broken. I found 2 of the 3 grommets and put them back in. This same thing happened when I was looking at a pilot a few months ago.
These were just a few observations from sitting in the truck. I haven't had time to test drive it but I am looking forward to that. Do I hate the truck? Nope. Do I love the truck? Nope. I am indifferent. It's hard to part with 40k when you aren't excited about it. Will I buy one? Yep, unless something better for me comes out. It still suits me more than any other vehicle out there. I was amped to get my G1 and never regretted it. I don't have that feeling with this one. It's too bad for me. It's great for those that are head over heels for it. I don't begrudge Honda or those that love this truck. I know it is all about compromises. The interior is nice and I like it more than I thought it would. It is just a few of the other things that bum me out. It's making it easier for me to keep my high mileage truck. I want the better MPG and the new safety features. I just wish I didn't have to give up what I have come to love about my truck. I'm not sure why I lamenting over this so much because I am sure it will drive better than any other truck out there. I know when the time comes that this will be the vehicle I buy unless I don't buy a truck. But, I need a truck. Maybe all of this is just therapy and when the time comes I will come to love this truck. I am still holding out hope. I need to get into and drive an RTL-E as that is what I will buy.
I look forward to continue reading other reviews and findings from actual owners and users. Maybe after a bunch of great stories of true love and amazing travels I too will find a new love.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts
I'm there with you RidgeHawk, I really loved my G1. I attended the LA AutoShow in Jan '05. I talked about it until the wife, said "just buy the damn thing, I had to explain it wasn't even available yet." About 6 months later I did buy, and early adopter, and I still love it today. There is a few thing's I'd like better, and MPG, Tech and such all sound great. But It's really hard to part with 40k and not see improvements in towing and have a look which I'm just not in love with

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another small thing I forgot to mention. On the model I sat in, the sunglass holder dropped down and it was convex but no mirror to see back seat occupants. Seriously?! That should be on all models.
As far as jump starting, I haven't looked at the manual that was linked in another thread to see what it says. I know small portable jump starters can plug into the power port inside vehicle and charge battery. Mine says it may take up to about 30 minutes that way ( it is a cheap Stanley) some of the more expensive ones may be quicker but I would think it has to do with the vehicle wiring and overheating as opposed to the charging unit. They are very small and well worth having. Much better than cables in my opinion because you jump yourself...uuhhmmmm so to speak.

· Registered
556 Posts
The positive post is accessible, and almost any nonpainted metal on the truck should be ground. Back in the day with vented batteries you weren't supposed to use the negative battery post anyway. I don't see why you couldn't jump start yourself or someone else.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,973 Posts
What Fargin said. And the little lithium jump starters will fit in your shirt pocket and jump several vehicles on a charge.

To the OP, let's hope Hyundai comes out with their truck soon....might be an even better option for suburban truckers, and probably higher quality and reliability to boot...

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm afraid the Hyundai is going to be too small.
In regards to jumping...my lithium jumper may not work...from the manual page 565-566..."5. Connect the other end of the second jumper cable to the engine hanger as shown. Do not connect this jumper cable to any other part." It's all the way across the engine.
Those cables are short on the compact jumpers. I agree that any metal should be fine but maybe it will interfere with all the electronics?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.