Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone that has commented on the fingerprints and glare issues on the new RL 8" display (if equipped), it drove me crazy too. This morning I received and installed a screen protector /glare shield I order from Amazon. Seems to work great! Haven't yet tested in 'just the right sun angle' to verify that the glare issue is totally resolved, but most of the glare issues I experienced were from my own fingerprints. The protector I installed instantly resolved the fingerprint issues. Install was pretty straight forward (although I'm still a bit confused about 'step 2' removal of the "mask from the other side... after the installation"... I can't seem to see or remove the 'other mask', if in fact it exists). That said, the protector looks great (i.e. virtually un-noticable) and I am experiencing zero loss of touch sensitivity. Came with 2 pieces of protector - sized perfectly for the RL 8" display, along with the typical cleaning cloth and installation squeegee. 5 minute install. $11.99. Prime delivery in 2 days. I will give it a few days of testing and then put my review on Amazon, but so far it seems perfect.

Here is the description from Amazon:
PcProfessional Screen Protector (Set of 2) for 2017 Honda Ridgeline RT RTS Sport RTL RTL-T RTL-E Black Edition 8" Touch Display / Navigation System Anti Glare Anti Scratch Filters UV

Here is the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HH2EIUG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE: Not affiliated with the product or Amazon.

· Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the initial review. I'm interested in this as well. Do you park the truck outside? One of the main complaints on the Amazon review is that the protector comes off the touch screen in extreme heat and extreme cold. Interested if you can test that. Unfortunately the reviewers on Amazon didn't leave a timeline, only that they had experienced bubbling under the touch screen protector and separation from the touch screen itself. But for $12 to not have fingerprints, that's 100% worth it.
Edit:

I checked the link. That is not the same company that made the Pilot ones with the bad reviews. Fingers crossed for this one!!!

· Premium Member
237 Posts
Thanks for the head's up. $12 for the possibility of not having to wipe fingerprints off the screen every couple of days. Sold.

Do you park the truck outside? One of the main complaints on the Amazon review is that the protector comes off the touch screen in extreme heat and extreme cold.
My truck lives outside 24/7 (at least until hail season) and it is currently 100 degrees outside. I will let you know how it holds up.

· Registered
4 Posts
As a long time customer of Zagg products (keyboards and screen protectors), I contacted them and here is what the lady stated; "So we do not make any InvisibleShields for that specifically. We also do not recommend that you put an sort of screen protection on those kinds of touch screens because it can cause touch screen sensitivity issues."

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
Cheap enough. Ordered.

I would love to know if the Ridgeline/Pilot screen cover is plastic or glass. If it's glass, I don't mind wiping it down regularly. If it's plastic, I'm afraid it's going to eventually scratch. Just tapping on it, it feels like plastic, but the glass used on screens these days is so thin, if feels and sounds like plastic.

· Registered
46 Posts
zroger73, I'm pretty sure it's plastic as mine already has a couple of small scratches. I think a piece of grit got under the microfiber cloth before I cleaned the screen. Hoping the screen protector mentioned will hold up in the sun. My truck is in the garage when I'm not at work, but I work M-F and the truck sits in the hot Carolina sun all day.
Any ideas on buffing out small scratches?

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
zroger73, I'm pretty sure it's plastic as mine already has a couple of small scratches. I think a piece of grit got under the microfiber cloth before I cleaned the screen. Hoping the screen protector mentioned will hold up in the sun. My truck is in the garage when I'm not at work, but I work M-F and the truck sits in the hot Carolina sun all day.
Any ideas on buffing out small scratches?
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Plastic is a terrible choice for touchscreens. Suspecting it might be plastic, I've been using only a full-size, damp microfiber towel with a very light touch to clean the screen. I'd let it accumulate fingerprints before I tried cleaning it with the dry cleaning cloth that came with the truck.

I'd be very cautious about trying remove any scratches. As with any scratch, the only thing you can do is fill in the scratch to make it level with the surrounding surface or sand down the surrounding surface to make it level with the scratch. I'd fear damaging the conductive layer rendering part or all of the screen non-functional.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the initial review. I'm interested in this as well. Do you park the truck outside? One of the main complaints on the Amazon review is that the protector comes off the touch screen in extreme heat and extreme cold. Interested if you can test that. Unfortunately the reviewers on Amazon didn't leave a timeline, only that they had experienced bubbling under the touch screen protector and separation from the touch screen itself. But for $12 to not have fingerprints, that's 100% worth it.
Edit:

I checked the link. That is not the same company that made the Pilot ones with the bad reviews. Fingers crossed for this one!!!
Normally the truck will spend the majority of non-driving time garaged, although the past few days it has been outside due to a project in work in the garage. Weather today in the high ninties, but parked in the shade. Screen protector only on for 1 day so far, so only time will tell how well it sticks. The warranty specifically covers peeling up. I'll report back if I see any issues.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it says lifetime warranty. So hopefully they live up to that. How's the feel of it? Does it feels as smooth as glass?
Totally smooth... no noticeable difference (to me) in the screen feel with or without the protector in place.

I would appreciate if any subsequent purchasers figure out the 'Step 2' part of the installations about peeling off the 'other' backing using the 'Step 2 tab' stuck to the edge off the screen. I can see no additional backing (maybe it is also clear?), so if it is still on the protector it must not make a difference in clarity or touch sensitivity because it is working great for me as is.

· Registered
970 Posts
OK, got this today and installed it. My take so far:

Pros:

1) Installs very easily and bubbles are minimal and easy to get rid of
2) It is much less fingerprint prone than the screen itself (maybe about 1/4 as much)
3) No adhesive and should be very simple to remove w/o damage
4) Glossy modern appearance of screen surface is unaffected (some protectors are "matte" or slightly coarse and can look "sparkly" in the sun)
5) Function of touchscreen is completely unaffected
6) About the same to clean as the screen using a microfiber cloth

Cons:

1) Does not seem to help all that much with reflections
2) Edges show so looks less "clean" (probably true of all films*)
3) Does seem to "dull" the image on screen just a small amount, maybe 10%

I should say that frankly I have not been bothered that much by reflections on the native screen - they have never interfered with being able to use the screen easily. NuSheild does make a more matte version but I suspect it would be more obvious that there is a protector in place with that because the glossiness would be much different than the screen. I think that the DayVue might make more difference when the light is directly on the screen such as with a laptop or tablet in the sun whereas the light on the nav screen is mostly sky reflection, not direct sun glare..

My take is that it is mainly to protect against scratches and to some degree fingerprints, reflection is secondary, both for me personally and for this screen film. I plan to leave it in place mainly for that as well as to evaluate how well it stays in various weather conditions. Overall rating: Good but not Great (not sure there is great out there)

* because the edges of the display are curved, almost any protector will probably not be able to cover to the edges since they would not do well around the curves in terms of adhesion.

NOTE: The first two images are without, the second two are with

Attachments

· Registered
581 Posts
Thank you for trying and posting. As I've mentioned in prior reviews, over 4,500 miles of driving I've found that on some occasions, with the light just right, the screen is impossible to view without placing a hand over it to shade it. This is definitely unusual, but highway driving I've found at some angles in sunshine the problem can go on for tens of miles, if not hundreds. It's just an issue of the right (wrong) sun angle. The fingerprints are a bother, but not huge and I wipe it each morning before a long drive.

Based on your review, I don't think I'd try this because it doesn't seem to really address those two issues.

Thank you for the report!

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday via UPS Next Day Air. I took them out of the package, looked at them, then put them right back in the package and into a desk drawer. I'm now having second thoughts on applying anything to the screen. I'd rather have no screen protection and just keep wiping it with a damp microfiber towel every day than to risk a screen "protector" or its adhesive reacting with the screen causing clouding or residue. I think I'll wait a while to see how these things work long term. A new screen costs $1,500+labor.

· Registered
970 Posts
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Plastic is a terrible choice for touchscreens.
Agreed, I wonder if the choice of plastic is saving money or some safety regulation that does not allow tablet type Gorilla Glass? Are any luxury cars using GG screens?

For comparison, see my NuSheild review:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/139633-first-look-nusheild-dayvue-screen-protector.html#post2094057

Also FYI, the NuSheild supposedly does not use an adhesive. It apparently uses a rubber-like coating. Applying it is weird, it almost flows on like water and takes almost no effort to remove, at least so far.

I would like to see some photos as part of this review as well.

· Premium Member
237 Posts
I installed the PC Pro screen protector on Friday, and like PhatDaddy, I could not be happier. The package came with 2 protectors, one gloss and one more matte. I installed the glossier one. It is barely noticeable and does an excellent job of stopping fingerprints, though it appears to do nothing at all for glare. I suspect the matte may be better for that. It has also been over 100 degrees here and it does not seem to have affected the screen protector so far.

I can't endorse either of our trainwreck presidential candidates, but I can endorse this screen protector.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.