I finally found time to take pictures of my LED DRL project that I completed a month or so ago. The LED strips are from Oznium and I custom made the brackets. I'll give a brief walkthrough of the project, and if someone has a specific question I'll try to answer it then.
I ordered two 9.5" LED strips from Oznium. They are $11.49 each.
To make a template for the brackets, I just took a piece cardboard and trimmed it to fit in the slot. From there, I bought some sheet steel from the hardware store and cut it to match the cardboard template.
The most tedious part was drilling the individual holes for the LEDs to stick out of.
My original plan was to spray paint the bracket black. I sanded, primed, and applied several coats of black spray paint and it just didnt stick to my liking. The front of the truck gets a lot of rocks thrown at it, and I didnt feel like the paint would hold up well. So, I ended up having a local shop powder coat them for me. It cost about $25.
As far as mounting the brackets, I had initially intended to use the OEM fog light holes on the inside of the bumper to secure the bracket. The angles were a little weird, so I came up with something different. This part was really nerve wracking because I had to take a drill/dremel to the bumper and make some holes in the slot for the LEDs. The red sections in this picture show the holes I cut. The long one is for the LED strip, the circular holes are for the bolts I used.
Basically, I sandwitched the LED strip between the powder coated bracket and another metal strip on the inside of the bumper. It's kind of tough to describe, so hopefully this picture will help:
The steel is rusting a bit, but I didnt really mind since it is on the inside of the bumper. Also worthy of noting is that I had the heads of the bolts power coated black so they would blend in with the bracket on the front side.
I wired the whole mess through a switch connected to the cigarette outlet (using a relay). I wanted the LEDs to never be on when the truck was not on. I just keep the switch in the 'on' position all the time now.
I lost track of how many hours this project took. I measured, re-measured, and measured again to make sure stuff lined up correctly. As far as parts, it probably cost me less than $50. I did this project at the same time I was working on the circular fog lights pictured in some of the images above. I had some strange issues with those, and will post a thread about them later.
Hope this brief walkthrough helps some of you that are thinking about doing a similar project.