Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

There is apparently a new Firestone on/off-road tire on the market that comes in the Ridgeline's stock size of 245/60r18. It's only 31 pounds in the OEM size, which is the same weight as the OEM LE2. It appears to be a more on-road friendly update of their very highly rated previous all terrain tire.

There appears to be a bit of a trend of companies offering more highway friendly all terrain tires. Hankook definitely softened their ATM a bit for the AT2. Falken is offering a CUV line of all terrain tires (also available in Ridgeline sizes), and now Firestone has made their most popular all-terrain tire more highway friendly.

It also has the mountain Snowpeak symbol, so it is snow rated. Tirerack tested this tire against some other popular all-terrain tires and it did very well.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You can tell that TR sells all four of the tested AT tires. They don't really slam any of them and like to use the term "acceptable" when describing their characteristics. They did give the Yoko Geolanders the highest score but admit that they were not specifically testing off-road capability or durability -- something that really should be considered by drivers who regularly travel off-pavement. There seems to be some credible customer reviews claiming that the Geolanders don't offer much protection to punctures and flats when you take them on rougher roads. It would be great if TR could develop a puncture-resistance test to compare the toughness of AT tires.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't care for the square shoulders or lack of an XL rating.
XL can make the ride more harsh due to beefed up sidewalls, and the Ridgeline is not heavy enough to need them. Even the stock tires are tough enough to tow and haul the maximum the Ridgeline can handle. I think I’d prefer to avoid XL tires if given the option.

The shoulders are actually pretty tapered. If you look at a direct view of the thread you can see the edges are closer to higher highways tires than most all terrain tires.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,199 Posts
Yes with the XL rating will come poundage (often 10lbs/tire or more) too. Unless you really need a tough tire for off roading (which the Ridge isn't really built for) then XL tires have more drawbacks than positives.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah Firestone is making a push to have most of their LT / passenger non-performance tires to include the technology they introduced with the Dueler A/T Revo (and now Revo2).

If you ever had the Revos back in the day, they were incredibly in wet weather. I had a 95 Jeep Cherokee (225hp on a 2900lb vehicle and very light in the rear) and that thing struggled to break loose in wet weather on a pedal stomp + turn.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Yes with the XL rating will come poundage (often 10lbs/tire or more) too.
Not always. My Nokian WR G4 SUV 255/60R18 112H XL BSW weigh 33 pounds, pretty much the same weight of the stock Firestones 245/60R18 in one size smaller and not XL rated.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
164 Posts
The 3 peak symbol also means a different rubber compound, made for colder temperatures. These tires don't like warm weather & I wouldn't recommend them for all season.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not always. My Nokian WR G4 SUV 255/60R18 112H XL BSW weigh 33 pounds, pretty much the same weight of the stock Firestones 245/60R18 in one size smaller and not XL rated.
That’s unusual though, which is what makes your tires standout in a good way. Have you posted pictures of your truck with those tires?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had Destination A/Ts on my Tacoma - although I traded it for the RL within a year, I thought they were really good tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts