Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

At the original reveal and auto show, the Ridgeline's had Firestone Destination A/T tires on them. Does anyone know what tire size was on those? It appears the production trucks will have Firestone Destination LE2's as their tire.

Main reason I'm asking is because currently the tires size for the new 2017 Ridgeline is the same as for the 18" tires available on the Gen 1. However, Firestone does not currently manufacture the A/T in that tire size, they do for the LE2's though.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
I believe the show tires were 265/60 R18, whereas stock size are 245/60 R18. Judging by the white letters rubbing, the 265 tires are a bit too wide. They are too big to use with chains.

Now, if you want to add a second set of rims (say, for winter tires), 235/70 R17 tires should fit. You can get that size in Blizzaks, as well as Destination A/T. That size will be .38" greater diameter and .39" narrower than stock. I don't know if you'll still be able to use chains (I'd think cords would work).

If a 16" rim will clear the calipers, you could go with 235/75 R16 tires. That would get you an extra 1.15" sidewall for a softer ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I'd really just like to get the A/T's in a stock size on my 18" stock rims. However, I may just find a cheap set of 17" used to put some A/T's on as they do come in that stock tire size for the 17". Maybe someone knows of somebody that has a set for sale :smile:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm considering the Firestone AT's (which I love) and the BFG KO2

Considering sizes from
245/60/18
255/60/18
265/50/18
265/55/18

I'd like them to be a little wider but I really don't want them to be taller. I definitely don't want them to be heavier than the Firestone AT's if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Maybe an aftermarket supplier will offer rims with some negative offset...that would allow wider tires. It may be a little harder on bearings, hubs, etc., probably not anecessarily an issue as long as you're not hauling/towing at max.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Joe was told the clearance is so tight that some tire brands in size 265/60X18 will rub unacceptably on the Gen2 RL. The Firestone A/Ts on the show trucks apparently rubbed but possibly only at full steering lock. This suggests to me that a small offset might solve the problem...but forget about ever using chains.

·
Registered
566 Posts
so would 265/55X18 be fine then?

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
so would 265/55X18 be fine then?
Here ya go:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=265-60r18-265-55r18

The 265/55 tires would be same width as the 265/60 tires (all else being equal), but slightly smaller diameter. I suspect width is more limiting than diameter, but we don't know if so or what proportions yet...

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,346 Posts
When I put BFG KO2's (load range C) on my Tacoma I lost about 1.5 MPG, due to their weight. They are a quality tire, bullet-proof, great in snow and highway driving.
What about the greater rolling resistance of an aggressive AT tire? How do you know its the weight of the tire rather than the friction?

·
Registered
296 Posts
What about the greater rolling resistance of an aggressive AT tire? How do you know its the weight of the tire rather than the friction?
You are right, it was probably a combination of both. The weight difference between my OEM Dunlops and the new BFG's was approx 10 lbs (per tire x four).

·
Registered
566 Posts
i guess i will wait till my stock tires are worn out, by then someone else will have experimented and found the biggest tire that fits

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rotational inertia is a much bigger factor in acceleration/deceleration than just the weight difference.

A couple years ago I installed larger/wider wheels and tires on my slightly modified 06 Miata. The combined forged wheels and lighter HP tires were about 4pounds lighter per corner, but the improvement in acceleration and braking is very noticeable. Of course, the reduction in unsprung weight also improves suspension performance too.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Just another diss for us on Hondas part for a person that would like to change to just different tire let alone a different SIZE. You now need to take several hours and do some major home work on the same EXACT SIZE tire that MIGHT fit in a different brand. They must have built the truck around the tire to just fit. I guess time will tell, Im not into wide cause of snow just a bit taller like I have now. Hope that might hold true to future new RL owners but think their are people here more into a wider tire so your bummin. Someone will have to start another tire fitment chart on this new one. It should be smaller cause a no lift RL might not be involved. Would be nice to see different off set rims that work. As I see it they dont want you messin with anything. It will be interesting if Truxxs makes a lift since they made the first for the old RL, I would think someone will do it. Not sayin I would put one on :grin:. I need to see this thing or Im gonna drop about $1500 on service on my old one that makes will me happy for another 5 years or more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts