Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my inner and outer CV boots replaced at Firestone. They did such a lousy job that the inner and outer boots on the drive error side began to leak and they actually broke the passenger side axle and a boot that is a part of the steering assembly.

All the work was originally done to prevent possible damage from broken/leaking CV boots... instead they caused more damage.

Oh, and they also wound up replacing one of the boots for free because they originally replaced the boot on the wrong side!

When my car started to creak and make clacking sounds I took the car back to Firestone and they said everything thing was fine.

I then took it to the local dealership (Front Range Honda) and they graciously checked out the car and pointed out all the damage...that was caused by Firestone's shoddy work.

I then called up Firestone, filed a complaint, and eventually got them to pay for the damage to be repaired at the local Honda Dealership.

Other than tires, windshield wiper blades, etc. I will never go to Firestone again.

This was the last straw, previously they jacked up a brake repair on a previously owned Toyota Sienna. It is better to pay more at the dealer and get it done right.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Many years ago I purchased an extended warranty that only honored repairs performed at Firestone stores. They covered they replacement of leaking power steering hoses on a 91 Ford Taurus (my first mistake).

Unfortunately I had to come back the second day so they could take care of the PS fluid they never cleaned off the engine during the hose replacement. I was very lucky I lived close and the engine never got hot enough to start a fire.
Glad to see Firestone is maintaining their tradition. Sorry for your experience.

I learned to avoid repair chains at all costs. Putting your energy into finding a reputable local mechanic will be worth all the time it takes you. 2nd course, take it to the dealer, but hate to tell you, unless it under warranty be careful there too. Not all dealers are created equally.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The quality of service work done at these chain stores (Firestone, PepBoys, etc) can vary between locations quite a bit. Get referrals from friends and coworkers, and take note of how old their recommendation is. A good experience 2 years ago is still 2 years ago.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Yes, there are always exceptions even with chains. The very fact the quality does vary between locales is a red flag to me.

But dad used to take his car to a particular Pep Boys in his later years when I went with him one time I found the service was very good.

Of course finding any good local service spot still relies largely on recommendations.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,587 Posts
Love my Firestone Destination LE2 tires that I had put on at Firestone for an excellent price. . .

Tires seem to have been balanced and installed correctly. However, they pretty much botched the alignment and didn't have my vehicle ready at the agreed time. No way in hell I would have them do anything but perhaps install another set of Firestone tires when the time comes.

All that said, I had to educate my local dealer about the front transfer case (and its need for service) on my Ridge.

There is a reason I now make sure to find the time to do just about all the work on my truck myself . . . .

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will admit that service at this particular Firestone has seemingly went down hill, previously it did not seem to be as bad.

However, after years of trying to use Firestone at multiple locations across the U. S. and after years of 50-50 work I am THROUGH with them.

I am even leery about having them do my free tire rotations now, I am afraid they might break something on purpose. Definitely won't go to this same store again.

I am thinking I will go up north to the "nicer" part of town.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I will admit that service at this particular Firestone has seemingly went down hill, previously it did not seem to be as bad.

However, after years of trying to use Firestone at multiple locations across the U. S. and after years of 50-50 work I am THROUGH with them.

I am even leery about having them do my free tire rotations now, I am afraid they might break something on purpose. Definitely won't go to this same store again.

I am thinking I will go up north to the "nicer" part of town.
I got a "free" tire rotation there once, and they hammered on the lugs with an impact gun. Bad practice. I could hardly budge them by hand. I went in & had them undo & retorque all of them by hand after straining a nut trying to get a couple of them loose. I let them know how unhappy I was in no uncertain terms. They acted like it was no big deal. 'Don't know why I went in there... just got lured by attractive oil change promotion & free tire rotation. That was several years ago now.... Now I try not to even drive too close when I go by, for fear some bad juju will fly out & hit me! :act024:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.... Now I try not to even drive too close when I go by, for fear some bad juju will fly out & hit me! :act024:
LOL... Dnick, I thought that was just me. I don't even want to go there for the free tire rotation anymore (I bought my tires from them) I would rather just pay my Honda Dealer.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I've seen 'free' result in broken studs, missing lug nuts and Flintstone balance jobs. No thanks... that's too free for me!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen 'free' result in broken studs, missing lug nuts and Flintstone balance jobs. No thanks... that's too free for me!
LOL..,Yeah, they seem to treat you bad on purpose. I deliberately decided to avoid their lifetime wheel alignment because it finally dawnwd on me that it is a money making ploy to get you in the shop so they can identify some problem that didn't really exist... and half the time I still left with an alignment that was still off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts