Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

So my Ridgeline finally showed up after being delayed and I have some thoughts. I'm also curious about some things.

Why does only one mirror tilt at a time when you reverse? What purpose does that serve? There's no benefit I can see, am I just missing something that makes them both tilt?

I love the range, I'm sure this has nothing to do with it being a Ridgeline but after barely getting 300 miles out of a tank in my car this is awesome haha.

Sound system is kind of disappointing. Any settings you guys would suggest to try and improve the sound quality?

The bed is awesome, we've already hauled several things we needed to move and it allowed us to buy some new furniture we've needed. The trunk is bigger than I remembered it was every time I see it. But the smell of the new plastic is really really powerful, almost smells like fuel. I've tried leaving it open to air out and it hasn't really helped. Any tips on how to lessen the smell?

I don't get why Honda didn't integrate the blind spot monitoring into the mirror like most other manufacturers. It really is difficult to use for me where they've placed it. Maybe I just need to get used to it but it's totally counterintuitive to me to look ahead of my mirror when I want to check my blind spot. Anyone else had this issue? If so, did you ever adapt to it?

The auto cruise control on mine is constantly doing little stabs at the brakes when I'm behind someone. Is this normal? I know it's trying to maintain a distance but it's wayyyy too sensitive and the way it goes about it makes it annoying to use so I'm sort of hoping there's just something wrong with it. Curious if anyone else that has used a different auto cruise system has felt the same issue.

All in all I'm happy with the truck. It's certainly been an adjustment for me but I'm getting used to it. We got a winter storm warning and I was hoping I'd get to try it out in some of the snow, but we barely got anything. I'm hoping to do a little bit of aftermarket upgrades like running boards and a roof rack at least. Any suggestions on upgrades you guys have done would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey all.

So my Ridgeline finally showed up after being delayed and I have some thoughts. I'm also curious about some things.

Why does only one mirror tilt at a time when you reverse? What purpose does that serve? There's no benefit I can see, am I just missing something that makes them both tilt?

I love the range, I'm sure this has nothing to do with it being a Ridgeline but after barely getting 300 miles out of a tank in my car this is awesome haha.

Sound system is kind of disappointing. Any settings you guys would suggest to try and improve the sound quality?

The bed is awesome, we've already hauled several things we needed to move and it allowed us to buy some new furniture we've needed. The trunk is bigger than I remembered it was every time I see it. But the smell of the new plastic is really really powerful, almost smells like fuel. I've tried leaving it open to air out and it hasn't really helped. Any tips on how to lessen the smell?

I don't get why Honda didn't integrate the blind spot monitoring into the mirror like most other manufacturers. It really is difficult to use for me where they've placed it. Maybe I just need to get used to it but it's totally counterintuitive to me to look ahead of my mirror when I want to check my blind spot. Anyone else had this issue? If so, did you ever adapt to it?

The auto cruise control on mine is constantly doing little stabs at the brakes when I'm behind someone. Is this normal? I know it's trying to maintain a distance but it's wayyyy too sensitive and the way it goes about it makes it annoying to use so I'm sort of hoping there's just something wrong with it. Curious if anyone else that has used a different auto cruise system has felt the same issue.

All in all I'm happy with the truck. It's certainly been an adjustment for me but I'm getting used to it. We got a winter storm warning and I was hoping I'd get to try it out in some of the snow, but we barely got anything. I'm hoping to do a little bit of aftermarket upgrades like running boards and a roof rack at least. Any suggestions on upgrades you guys have done would be greatly appreciated!
OH, and my wireless charging pad doesn't work. It charges for like 20 seconds max and then flashes and stops. Does it on my Samsung phone and my wife's iPhone. Not sure what the deal is or if the dealer will be able to help.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
355 Posts
The side mirror tilt answer is here:

What trim level do you have? The sound system gets an “upgrade” at the RTL-E level.

·
Registered
2021 black edition
133 Posts
Hey all.

The blind spot sensor lights become second nature after a while, I just see them in my peripheral vision and the auditory warning also helps when you activate the turn signal.

The trunk smells like fresh fiberglass or something similar. I left the drain plug out all summer except for when it rained and it got much better. I noticed it was much more noticeable on very hot days, so I guess I'll know for sure by July.

I don't really use the acc much. My wireless charger acts the same way, I'll mention it when I'm near the dealer next.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The side mirror tilt answer is here:

What trim level do you have? The sound system gets an “upgrade” at the RTL-E level.
I've got the RTL-E. I was just kind of surprised Honda didn't offer some kind of collaboration with a high end audio brand in the higher trim models. Unless the black edition has it.

·
Registered
22 RTL-E
131 Posts
Yep, from an electronics standpoint all the things my 2018 Accord does correctly, the 2022 Ridgeline does poorly. Sort of confusing. It's like Honda just don't care thinking that all the "old guys" will buy the truck anyways. Like you said, there is a lot to say positive about the physical design and how it drives, but the electronics are substandard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just don’t understand why the wireless charger is so weak. It was the same in my Tacoma and from what I u derstand it pretty bad in new tundra as well. I have a 15 dollar charger at home and it works perfect. Ridiculous. I usually would not care but sometimes my phone Usb c doesn’t work and I need to charge wirelessly.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The tilt on the Sideview mirror is so you don't hit a curb when parking, not much chance of hitting on both sides at the same time.

I'm not even sure when the driver side tilt would be needed, but I'm sure people have found a need.

About the blindspot I've only ever had them inside, never on the mirror. So I wouldn't be used to it any other way. But I will say this, they should be standardized.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey all.

2022 BE here...As someone else said, the tilt is for parking while reversing and its unlikely you will have a curb on both sides so only one side tilts at a time. And I have been in many situations where I needed the tilt on the driver's side. Interestingly, after the snow came and the temps dropped at the start of the winter the heated mirrors caused an ice buildup under the edge of mirror and prevented it from tilting. I had to turn the tilt off for the season.

The only sound system changes I made were to the bass/treble and the sub. Not much else there for you to change but it doesn't bother me. I'm not looking for a high end audio experience in the car.

I have no problem with the blind spot monitors on the inside. Easy to get used to and you have the audio warning if it detects something when you have the turn signal on.

I see many people on this forum complain about the ACC and it sounds like a lot of you use it in regular traffic (I could be wrong). I prefer to have full control of the truck while in traffic and save the cruise control for when I am cruising long distances on the highway. It does have it's issues as many have noted but it works well for me in the conditions that I use it.

Reactions: P22Tyler

·
Banned
2022 Sport "Strippie" Grand Piano Black
98 Posts
My bed trunk wreaks bad too. Like someone just sprayed ether or very strong spray paint. Was surprising. I don't use the cruise control thing where it tails another vehicle at the same distance - don't like tailing people on highways. The regular cruise control seems ok on flat highways, otherwise I don't use it. My CVT accord had a beautiful CC system. I think it was the CVT that made it so good, even on hilly roads. Sound system is good enough to play songs from my phone library and for radio. I thought about replacing the tweeters and door speakers (2022 Sport) but I'm not good at it, and would have to pay for the installation, and would it make much of a difference really? Range, as in distance a tank-full can go, is relative. Compared to my Accord the Ridge isn't near as good, especially in stop-and-go driving. Accord had 585-mile highway range at times. Winter driving is awesome with this beast.

All in all, it's just a joy to drive- comfortable, sits up high, other trucks on the road seem to look at me differently now, haha. It's true! Unless they see the Honda badge, and then around these parts, drivers can actually get angry that it's not a Ford or GM truck. Hey at least my Honda was built in America.

"I'm smaart, and I want RESPECT!" Quote my source....

·
Registered
22 RTL-E
131 Posts
I'm happy for the people who don't care about the ACC, but for potential buyers of the truck they should know that the ACC is very substandard. It's not something that is easy to test out on many test drive loops. Luckily, I read all these forums and still made the decision to buy the truck. But if I used ACC everyday in my commute like many do, I would not buy this truck. After owning this truck for a few days, I can confirm that the ACC stinks and the design of the Auto High Beams renders them useless. I'm a bit unhappy and embarrassed for Honda that my mid-level 2019 Chrysler Minivan had a much better tech package than my top level 2022 Ridgeline. I do love how the car drives, the comfort of the cabin, the backseat folding up, the trunk, and the size of the bed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tilt on the Sideview mirror is so you don't hit a curb when parking, not much chance of hitting on both sides at the same time.

I'm not even sure when the driver side tilt would be needed, but I'm sure people have found a need.

About the blindspot I've only ever had them inside, never on the mirror. So I wouldn't be used to it any other way. But I will say this, they should be standardized.
2022 BE here...As someone else said, the tilt is for parking while reversing and its unlikely you will have a curb on both sides so only one side tilts at a time. And I have been in many situations where I needed the tilt on the driver's side. Interestingly, after the snow came and the temps dropped at the start of the winter the heated mirrors caused an ice buildup under the edge of mirror and prevented it from tilting. I had to turn the tilt off for the season.

The only sound system changes I made were to the bass/treble and the sub. Not much else there for you to change but it doesn't bother me. I'm not looking for a high end audio experience in the car.

I have no problem with the blind spot monitors on the inside. Easy to get used to and you have the audio warning if it detects something when you have the turn signal on.

I see many people on this forum complain about the ACC and it sounds like a lot of you use it in regular traffic (I could be wrong). I prefer to have full control of the truck while in traffic and save the cruise control for when I am cruising long distances on the highway. It does have it's issues as many have noted but it works well for me in the conditions that I use it.
I think the problem for me is in other vehicles I've had both mirrors tilted and when you're used to that it seems like the only way it should be done. I get that you should only ever have one curb to worry about at a time, but you'd be surprised how much you can use it for when both mirrors tilt, it's especially great for making sure you're even in a parking space. Not a big deal by any means, I'm just curious why Honda chose to do that when both mirrors can tilt in the Ridgeline.

I will say the ACC works much better on the freeway. I do like to use it when I'm cruising around town, never in heavy traffic though, and I still find the issue. I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm happy for the people who don't care about the ACC, but for potential buyers of the truck they should know that the ACC is very substandard. It's not something that is easy to test out on many test drive loops. Luckily, I read all these forums and still made the decision to buy the truck. But if I used ACC everyday in my commute like many do, I would not buy this truck. After owning this truck for a few days, I can confirm that the ACC stinks and the design of the Auto High Beams renders them useless. I'm a bit unhappy and embarrassed for Honda that my mid-level 2019 Chrysler Minivan had a much better tech package than my top level 2022 Ridgeline. I do love how the car drives, the comfort of the cabin, the backseat folding up, the trunk, and the size of the bed.
Yeah the ACC in my Stinger was a lot more advanced so I never expected the one in the Ridgeline to match it, but I'm surprised at how poorly it does work in situations I don't feel are that difficult for it to handle. I test drove a 2020 Ridgeline because it was all they had and I wasn't super impressed with the ACC, but I was hoping they'd improved it in the 2022. I don't want to rag on the truck by any means, it's great. I'm just trying to see what other owners think of certain things.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Yeah the ACC in my Stinger was a lot more advanced so I never expected the one in the Ridgeline to match it, but I'm surprised at how poorly it does work in situations I don't feel are that difficult for it to handle. I test drove a 2020 Ridgeline because it was all they had and I wasn't super impressed with the ACC, but I was hoping they'd improved it in the 2022. I don't want to rag on the truck by any means, it's great. I'm just trying to see what other owners think of certain things.
The infotainment screen sucks bad too. Trying to change preset radio stations is dangerous it's so crappy. Honda brought a volume knob back, that's it. The climate control buttons are too small. The toggle for the temp control is far slower than the accord which had a fast knob that you turn. And I'm starting to get really annoyed with the auto stop/start. I forget to turn it off every day, and then when I coast to a stop sign, entering a road from a parking lot, it shuts off for a fraction of a second and then starts up again. It's POINTLESS and ANNOYING. If I had any electrical skills I'd rewire the thing, but I don't.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts

I use the driver's side tilt when going through a drive-thru lane that has a tight curve. I can keep my eye on the back wheel and keep it close to the curb, but not so close that the wheel/tire scrapes the curb.

I also use it when backing the RL into the garage so I can align the rear wheel with a piece of blue tape I have on the garage floor. That keeps me from getting too far over on the passenger side and having the small entry door hit the RL when the door opens into the garage.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline Sport
133 Posts
And I'm starting to get really annoyed with the auto stop/start. I forget to turn it off every day, and then when I coast to a stop sign, entering a road from a parking lot, it shuts off for a fraction of a second and then starts up again. It's POINTLESS and ANNOYING. If I had any electrical skills I'd rewire the thing, but I don't.
You don't need electrical skills, there is a plug and play option called idlestopper that will turn off the start/stop after turning the car on, but still allow you to turn it on manually if you want - which is how it should come from the factory, IMO. I don't have mine yet, it's backordered, but if you have an extra $85 burning a hole in your pocket and it annoys you enough, it's an option 😁

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Until 2019 you could get an RTL with a very modest yet replaceable sound system, and no nannies. I had read so many complaints by ROC members about the touchscreen system - including that it's very difficult to replace - that I went the RTL route, and am happy with it. I realize this isn't pertinent for those buying new trucks now, but I wish Honda still built the RL with a trim-level option that gave buyers more control over their trucks' electronic systems.

·
Banned
98 Posts
You don't need electrical skills, there is a plug and play option called idlestopper that will turn off the start/stop after turning the car on, but still allow you to turn it on manually if you want - which is how it should come from the factory, IMO. I don't have mine yet, it's backordered, but if you have an extra $85 burning a hole in your pocket and it annoys you enough, it's an option 😁
Considering I'll have to push the stupid button about 500 times a year, it'd be worth it, if it works right and doesn't screw anything up. Idlestopper.com? Thank you.

What exactly is the light that comes on that people talk about covering up? Do they mean the amber light when you turn auto stop start off?

·
Registered
8 Posts

If you are on a one way street, you may want to drop the drivers mirror if parking on left side. Keeping the opposite side up allows you to see oncoming traffic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts