Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve put a couple thousand miles on my Black Edition Ridgeline over the past couple of months and I’d like to set the record straight on what my experience has been.

Here’s the top ten achievements I’ve unlocked:

1) 3 hour drive (non-stop)
2) Multiple loads of cut up limbs, tree branches and assorted yard debris taken to the dump
3) Went camping with family and kids
4) Several, “all aboard” drives and excursions
5) Daily driver
6) Assisted in moving equipment for our office (we moved locations across town)
7) Survived very limited “kids were eating in the truck” sessions
8) Loaded with fully stocked “bug out” gear”
9) Wholesale club grocery shopping
10) 80’s hair metal rock out sessions

All of the above the Ridgeline performs flawlessly on except for # 6. During a crucial moment moving a very large and heavy color laser printer, my tailgate wouldn’t open. It’s failed to open at least five more times since then but nothing so inconvenient as that. The after stopping shake is still present and varies, it still worries me but only when it does it. There is far too much variation / consistency in the brake pedal. I also had an air vent that wouldn’t open on delivery that got missed in inspection but was fixed quickly. And that’s about it for the negatives. Glad I got that out of the way.

The pros are amazing. Hell, I’m not a vehicle guys who posts in forums historically but I’ve started to be that guy. Why? Because Honda has made an awesome truck, even with the issues above.

I’ll get the first objections out of the way. This isn’t a Toyota Tundra or a Ford F-150 and I don’t think Honda is marketing it as such. It’s not even designed to compete with that so if you’re drawing those conclusions, you’re in the wrong place. If you want to compare this to something, go with the Tacoma or Colorado. But even then, I’d argue that the Ridgeline is “something else”. It’s a truck for someone who dwells in both the city and off road but probably spends more time in the city. It can be something more akin to comforts of a non-truck vehicle but have the capabilities of a truck. I like to think of an El Camino as a similar spiritual vehicle. It’s kind of its own thing when it comes down to it even though the Ridgeline can run with the Tacoma and Colorado easily.

I see a lot of questions and debate on if it will do this or that. The Honda website is a great place to start and there are tons of YouTube videos on it enough to get you 75% of the way to a decision without a test drive. But the real question is: Is it worth it?

My answer is YES. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat if I had to do it all over again. I don’t see another truck that will fit me like this does. If you want to know more about me, read my 400 mile review: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...890-black-edition-first-400-miles-review.html

Still got questions - ask me anything!

·
Registered
322 Posts
So I’ve put a couple thousand miles on my Black Edition Ridgeline over the past couple of months and I’d like to set the record straight on what my experience has been.

1) 3 hour drive (non-stop)
2) Multiple loads of cut up limbs, tree branches and assorted yard debris taken to the dump
3) Went camping with family and kids
4) Several, “all aboard” drives and excursions
5) Daily driver
6) Assisted in moving equipment for our office (we moved locations across town)
8) Loaded with fully stocked “bug out” gear”
9) Wholesale club grocery shopping

Ratt or Dokken? :wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ratt or Dokken? :wink:
My daughter is 6 and she's really into Twisted Sister. Her favorite is "We're Not Gonna Take It" something I'll probably regret later. Some Judas Priest - although Halford never really had any hair. But yes, some Ratt! She reads the titles but not very well so "Wanted Man" ends up being "Woman Man".

For whatever reason, Alice Cooper's "Poison" is one of her all time favs.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

very funny. I like the video an this review. :act024:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have a question regarding the tailgate...

Do you think... while the tailgate is open in the conventional way, if one were to have considerable weight on it... that contributes to tailgate open failures ?

I tend to think so... read somewhere that it can handle "upto" 300 lbs while open.

As with towing...it's not wise to have max limit for an extend period of time. ( I wouldn't be towing 5000 lbs daily, plus there's also math involved ..etc. )

:)

·
Registered
328 Posts

Do you think... while the tailgate is open in the conventional way, if one were to have considerable weight on it... that contributes to tailgate open failures ?

I tend to think so... read somewhere that it can handle "upto" 300 lbs while open.

As with towing...it's not wise to have max limit for an extend period of time. ( I wouldn't be towing 5000 lbs daily, plus there's also math involved ..etc. )

Good point. Interesting question. All 300lbs are not created equally. 300lbs on the tailgate next to the bed on the left side (next to the cable support thingy), is a lot different than 300lbs on the outside corner on the right side (the side without the cable support thingy).

Only having one side of the tailgate supported has always raised an eyebrow. I know i would always TRY to minimize the weight that i put on the unsupported side. I can totally see this having something to do with the tailgate problems. Then again, maybe it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Good point. Interesting question. All 300lbs are not created equally. 300lbs on the tailgate next to the bed on the left side (next to the cable support thingy), is a lot different than 300lbs on the outside corner on the right side (the side without the cable support thingy).

Only having one side of the tailgate supported has always raised an eyebrow. I know i would always TRY to minimize the weight that i put on the unsupported side. I can totally see this having something to do with the tailgate problems. Then again, maybe it doesn't.
The cable is there only served as a restriction ( 2nd safety fail-safe )

The weight I'm thinking is directly on the hinges itself :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
My daughter is 6 and she's really into Twisted Sister. Her favorite is "We're Not Gonna Take It" something I'll probably regret later. Some Judas Priest - although Halford never really had any hair. But yes, some Ratt! She reads the titles but not very well so "Wanted Man" ends up being "Woman Man".

For whatever reason, Alice Cooper's "Poison" is one of her all time favs.
Have you shown her a picture of Dee Snider yet? That may change her mind. LOL

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you shown her a picture of Dee Snider yet? That may change her mind. LOL
She's seen the videos - she really thought they were funny (guy getting falling out the window).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or Alice Cooper in full 'Alice' mode!:grin:
Not yet - some tame Alice. But at this point she's watched all kinds of Pokemon stuff and I hate to say it, some of it gets a little extreme. But hey, if she's going to headbang with the old man, I'm happy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The times my gate stuck I wasn't putting anything heavy on it. It was really hot days though and lots of sun (we get maybe 18ish hours in the summer). So the truck was warm, not sure if that contributed anything to it but I don't recall it happening on a non-hot day.

The only way I've gotten it unstuck was to pull up on the right side of the gate - that worked. The dealership says there is a clip that needs replacing but I haven't had the time to take it in here recently for that.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Not yet - some tame Alice. But at this point she's watched all kinds of Pokemon stuff and I hate to say it, some of it gets a little extreme. But hey, if she's going to headbang with the old man, I'm happy.
Funny thing is, I met 'Alice Cooper' in Phoenix, sans makeup. Quite a nice, articulate, friendly guy. He was sitting near me at a concert and was quite the gentleman when approached. As we all know, the 'Alice' persona is all a schtick...and he has made millions from it. He has a home in the Phoenix area and loves to do the Halloween shows for his fans...the last one was 'Alice Cooper's Halloween Nightmares' or something like that..always sells out.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
What vehicle did you come out of?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last vehicle I had was a 2004 Nissan Xterra (non 4WD). I lived on the beach so I didn't really need it. Xterra came up with me to Alaska and it didn't work out so well. I traded it in and started carpooling with my wife until we bought our house and some other financial odds and ends. So I was without a vehicle for about 3 years. I was very close to a Toyota Tundra but I figured I'd waited so long already, I could wait a little while longer.

In reality, I probably should have waited until around now to get an RTL-E in black with chrome (what I originally wanted). I do like the BE a lot and it's grown on me. So a tad bit of regret but I still love it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Last vehicle I had was a 2004 Nissan Xterra (non 4WD). I lived on the beach so I didn't really need it. Xterra came up with me to Alaska and it didn't work out so well. I traded it in and started carpooling with my wife until we bought our house and some other financial odds and ends. So I was without a vehicle for about 3 years. I was very close to a Toyota Tundra but I figured I'd waited so long already, I could wait a little while longer.

In reality, I probably should have waited until around now to get an RTL-E in black with chrome (what I originally wanted). I do like the BE a lot and it's grown on me. So a tad bit of regret but I still love it.
I appreciate your review and will be looking for your winter driving observations from up north.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts