Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have experienced our first snow of the season in the surrounding mountains so we thought a lil drive would be nice. While up there we decided to take this lil spur road up to check out some waterfalls and found ourselves on a road that initially had quite a bit of wet snow dumped on it, then a couple of higher clearance vehicles drove on it leaving deep ruts, and then it froze. Prolly not the first choice most would make for a first foray, where we found ourselves dragging the belly pan through the snow and quickly realizing this mistake for ourselves. We found a wide spot to back into and then made a couple of runs back and forth to get ourselves back onto the road again. But, overall, the Ridgeline did get us in and back out, though it quickly let us know it really was not too happy doing so being much more content staying on maintained roads, which is OK by us.

IMGP3146.JPG

Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,368 Posts
We have experienced our first snow of the season in the surrounding mountains so we thought a lil drive would be nice. While up there we decided to take this lil spur road up to check out some waterfalls and found ourselves on a road that initially had quite a bit of wet snow dumped on it, then a couple of higher clearance vehicles drove on it leaving deep ruts, and then it froze. Prolly not the first choice most would make for a first foray, where we found ourselves dragging the belly pan through the snow and quickly realizing this mistake for ourselves. We found a wide spot to back into and then made a couple of runs back and forth to get ourselves back onto the road again. But, overall, the Ridgeline did get us in and back out, though it quickly let us know it really was not too happy doing so being much more content staying on maintained roads, which is OK by us.

View attachment 407519

Bill
The Ridgeline is fantastic so long as the snow does not get too deep. Glad you had fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts

View attachment 407519

Bill
OK you LEFT OUT this -- did you put it in "Snow mode" or "sand Mode" or "normal mode"?? It will soon enough snow where my R/L lives, and this new owner seeks 'snow driving answers' before I call AAA and freeze to death waiting for them to pull me out of a huge snow drift.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love the blue
some skid plate should be installed as sideways engine has nothing but some plastic between oil pan and Radiator and what you choose to drive over.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good successful story! I'm sure we all have others that made a bit more memory the wrong way over our lifetimes :)

Tires and clearance will always be the key to going in deep snow. From my experience last year in a big storm, the snow mode was useless and stuck we were in the middle of the street in front of our house just backing out of the driveway. Tires and clearance were the main issues. Experimenting after some advice from here shows sand mode (maybe mud) may have got us going, but I doubt it. We were hung up and the hot exhaust was making that issue worse. I ordered a set of Continental Viking Contact 7s the next day. I'm hoping to be able to play a little before we bail in early January

I think snow mode would be best suited for tracking in lesser snow and slippery roads where the Honda system gets to work the best

·
Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
Listen, stuck is stuck. The only mode then is "stuck mode" (hold down the anti slip button). I've had a 64' LandRover 109 stuck in a paved parking lot! lol When you are stuck with that you are packed to the frame and the wheels are off the ground.

Steve

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
...some skid plate should be installed as sideways engine has nothing but some plastic between oil pan and Radiator and what you choose to drive over.
Actually, there's literally nothing between the oilpan around the drain plug and "what you chose to drive over". Not to worry, though, Honda claimed in one marketing gem that the Ridgeline has "ample ground clearance" for adventuring. Yeah right...better get a skidplate if you travel off pavement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All this talk of snow is making me excited for the first snow I get to drive my RL in. Mind you Ive been driving an ‘06 Mustang in the snow for the last 14 years.
in fairness the Seattle area rarely gets measurable snow but I did commute 32 miles to work in what they called"snowmageddon"🙄 here a couple of years back when my coworkers used it as an excuse to take the day off. Ice is a bigger problem here.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK you LEFT OUT this -- did you put it in "Snow mode" or "sand Mode" or "normal mode"?? It will soon enough snow where my R/L lives, and this new owner seeks 'snow driving answers' before I call AAA and freeze to death waiting for them to pull me out of a huge snow drift.
Well, since you brought this up, when we started in on this road I was all excited about putting it into snow mode, which I did. When it became obvious that we had pushed the Ridgeline far enough, we backed it into a wide spot, made a couple of back and forth runs to assure we could get back on the road, and then walked the rest of the way from there. When we returned,I didn't realize that the Ridgeline returned back to "normal" when I shut it down, it came back out just fine. So, honestly, I still do not know if putting it into snow bed actually helped or not, sorry!

Oh, and by the way, for those that are pushing installing a skid plate, I guess my reference to "dragging the belly pan" was not obvious enough, we do have a skid plate installed and I am glad that we did.

Bill

·
Registered
487 Posts
Listen, stuck is stuck. The only mode then is "stuck mode" (hold down the anti slip button). I've had a 64' LandRover 109 stuck in a paved parking lot! lol When you are stuck with that you are packed to the frame and the wheels are off the ground.

Steve
Those old Land Rovers were beasts in every off road condition. I had a few friends with them back in the 60s/70s. With a winch on the front you could go almost anywhere. One friend of mine dumped his on it's nose down a steep 8 foot embankment into a small creek bed and winched it through to the other side. He would make trails by driving over trees up to 6 inches or so. Young and crazy.

I've been wheels up stuck and unstuck now and again since 1968. I totally agree. Stuck is stuck, but what typically happens, and did, is that you normally get one more chance to get going in the situation we were in. Any 4WD/AWD will try to give you a good grunt forward by digging in a little when you hit the gas. If it works and you start forward momentum...keep er' going. Never stop! In our case, the grunt was the final hang. It dropped immediately a good inch, maybe two...and that was it. The hot exhaust then made it worse. Two factors stopped the go effort. Tires and clearance....mainly clearance. I'll never know if the sand mode would have gotten enough forward movement to get going without digging in with the poor tires. I do know that once we started moving forward with the help of shovels and several neighbors, it was a big struggle to keep going. Clearance was a problem. I had one right angle corner to make 200 yards away to get out to the partially plowed main road a 1/4 mile away from there. I skipped the stop sign at this corner and took it wide (the front understeer didn't help) and made it out. A couple of Big 3 trucks, with more clearance, came down our road without issue. That's why I decided to try it. There were tracks to get in. I wasn't the trailblazer

Like the G1, the stock tires were basically useless after 25K miles. Even when new on the G1, they didn't steer or stop nearly as well as our FWD Blizzak LaCrosse

I'm not panning the RL at all. It is what it is. I like most everything about the truck for the driving we do. I didn't have to go out that day, but at close to 69 now I still have a little adventure left to burn :) Once I got the winter tires on last year I got to play a couple times before we left here. Like the G1, with the proper shoes, it goes quite well in big snow as long you keep er going. Hoping for the same play again this year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So how prepared were you to take the spur line? Mud/ Snow rated tires, tire chains and snow shovel packed, extra blankets and a near full gas tank? Personally I have enjoyed taking my 2008 into the snow but am also prepared for the unexpected. Heck, one time I planned for going far off the beaten path and had camp stove, food, extra water, blankets and a backup battery charger for the center phone. None of which I needed but was prepared just in case.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
There was a gentleman on here a couple years ago that reported the Ridgeline as unstoppable in 14" of snow when equipped with studded winter tires. I don't really if he had a lift installed.

If I were purposefully going out to see how far I could go before getting stuck, I would have a set of chains (cables) as my first backup, probably a set of MaxxTracks (or however it's spelled) as a second backup, and my phone and a nearby friend or AAA for a third backup.

A couple bags of kitty litter and a shovel tossed in the bed wouldn't hurt, either.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was only trying to get to a Packer game a mile from here :) All I had to traverse was 500 yards of subdivision to the one plow pass the night before county road which still had a load of snow on it. It was still snowing. I really did have confidence that the RL would make it given 2 or 3 trucks had been down our road and were motoring along. Lots of neighbors to help. No safety concerns whatsoever. Just another Oh s_it moment. Hindsight is always 20/20. I had snowblowed my driveway and probably should have turned around and been facing forward instead of having to shift from reverse to drive. I'm pretty sure my winter tires would have got me going when I gave it the forward go juice as they would of had some bite to move forward. Live and learn.

I'm many years removed from seeing how far I can go in snow or mud in any vehicle. 14" of snow isn't much here. I wouldn't hesitate to traverse that with the RL...even without snow tires if it was light snow. It all depends on the heavy the 14 inches is. Light and fluffy...no issues at all. Heavy and wet. Keep er going! The example I used was about a 20 incher of heavy stuff. ...Heavier than I thought....:( I goofed up. The kid still in me said 'go for it'

I do throw a snow shovel and tow strap in the trunk for the winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New owners of 2017, and we live up a long curved steep paved road. Like nearby Seattle, snow is relatively rare, often icy but never too deep. Our 2010-CRV was a champ at tackling the hill, especially going up, and sporting only all season tires. Since we traded the CRV toward purchasing the Ridgeline, we have confidence that that our Ridgeline - also fitted with All Seasons - will at least get us back our very steep hill.
And when we get tucked into our warm home, we normally look downhill, just guessing whose vehicle will be first into the drainage ditch. But with all the drive options, I will be sorely tempted to try and beat the odds that we can manage both downhill and back up to our home. So any downhill settings advice to keep us out of the ditch?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts