Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Chicago car show last weekend and I have to say that my first impressions were very mixed.

The truck I saw was not in very good condition.

The bad:

The rubber seals around the driver and passanger doors were falling off. They seemed very cheap compared to what I have seen on other vehicles.

The seals on both back doors were torn. Again, they seemed very cheap compared to what I have seen on other vehicles.

The center console seemed cheap.

The whole dash also seemed to be made of poor materials.

The interior rubber inserts in the dash and center console did not fit well.

The front doors were not very solid and vibrated when shut.

The the inside handles to pull the doors shut were very ugly. (I mean really ugly)

I couldn't tell if the leather looked beat or if it was just cheap.

Overall I would say it was the cab quality that bothered me the most.

The good:

Lots of head room even with the sun roof

Lots of sholder room.

Better looking than I thought.

The bed is a great design

The size if perfect.

Exteriour fit and finish looked fine.

Please don't tell me that that this truck looked bad because so many people abused it duing the show because only the "cheap" vehicles looked like this one did.

This truck looks like it was rushed into production. The new Nissan and Toyota look like they are more prepared for productinon.

I think this truck will have a spike in sales to the Honda purists and will then fall off. I think Honda knows this and is why they are only building 50k the first year to keep demand up. If you are willing to wait, you may get a deal.

It is a nice vehicle with some very smart ideas. When people spend 33k on a truck they want a little better fit and finish. When Honda fixes these problems they will have a killer product.

I will have to drive one at the dealer to make my final decision but right now I am not sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Please don't tell me that that this truck looked bad because so many people abused it during the show because only the "cheap" vehicles looked like this one did."

I won't say that, but I will say that the Ridgeline you saw is probably a demo that's toured around the country and is showing the wear from that. Also remember that vehicles at car shows are usually better representations of vehicles than their production counterparts because it IS a show. It might very well be that the "cheap" vehicles were the production versions while the other vehicles were souped up for the show.

As you've said, wait until you drive it at the dealer where there's a better chance to experience the vehicle in the real world. Also remember that this is the first year of production and things will probably improve in the future, that is, if the Ridgeline is popular enough to stick around. From all the reviews, it seems like it will be.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Luckily for me, my local dealership will be getting their first allocation before my truck is even built. Gives me time to go and check it out and decide how I feel about the quality.

The delay may even allow for certain quality issues to be discovered and corrected before my truck is assembled (build date of March 26).

To the original poster, thanks for your honest feedback of the vehicle you were able to examine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with a friend who has a MDX about my concerns. He said that the rubber on his door jams also seems "flimsy" but he has had no problems so far and believes that he may get a better seal.

He said that his doors also do not feel as solid as others which does bother him a bit.

In terms of the interior he said he felt the Honda pilot interior was also just "OK" and that is the main reason he went up to the MDX.

He believes that Honda may have stuck a lot of money into the drive train/stability which has more in common with the MDX than the pilot and may not have a lot of money left for the interior.

This is so Ironic to me because the main reason people may fear this truck is because the engine/ drive train which is probably the least of their fears.

This truck looks good, will probably drive well and haul well.

Bottom line will probably be:

1. Can you live with the interior?
2. Can you live with the price?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ravishol said:
I went to the Chicago car show last weekend and I have to say that my first impressions were very mixed.

I think this truck will have a spike in sales to the Honda purists and will then fall off. I think Honda knows this and is why they are only building 50k the first year to keep demand up. If you are willing to wait, you may get a deal.
I will have to drive one at the dealer to make my final decision but right now I am not sure.
I just want to clear up one thing, Honda said they hope to Sell 50K, not that that they would only build 50K. If enough people know this fact it will stop dealers mark-ups over MSRP. In Fact when asked the president of Honda said that if sales take off, they have the tooling reading to add a line at the Alabama plant.
You need this info when talking to your local dealer, when he says shortage, hence .01 cent over MSRP, you can tell him no way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts