Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up my new Ridgeline RTL in Lunar Silver with Black Leather yesterday after work. Here are a my initial impressions for those who may be on the fence.
-The overall ride quality is excellent and the interior is exceptionally quiet.
-The A/C worked well on a 93 degree day.
-Great leather seats are well sized and superbly comfortable. Lots of chatter on the forum about the armrests, which I think are completely overblown. I had no problem finding a very comfortable position in the driver's seat. My passenger felt the same (in her seat, that is)
-Another overblown criticism is the rear door opening. It is in no way a show-stopping design defect that some critics make of it. The doors are thick and rob some space. It is a little tight getting in, but once inside, there is more rear seat legroom than most cars.
-The truck's handling is much better than expected. It corners well - and there's no understeer.
-The 3.5L V6 works well with the 6-speed tranny and the truck pulls strongly off the line.
- It cruises at 75 without effort and without much wind, road, or engine noise.
-It seems like a great vehicle for a long road trip

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
My wife uses our 2011 Ridgeline for the farmers market and after hearing about the opening of the rear doors, this is a show stopper for us. We use the back seats for her market stuff and loading and unload with ease and the room needed with the doors open as far as the do on the gen 1 is a must. Also the depth of the bed.

Reactions: Rick2456

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
My wife uses our 2011 Ridgeline for the farmers market and after hearing about the opening of the rear doors, this is a show stopper for us. We use the back seats for her market stuff and loading and unload with ease and the room needed with the doors open as far as the do on the gen 1 is a must. Also the depth of the bed.
I would still take a look at it before your write the ridgeline off. I don't think that it is too bad. YMMV

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Picked up my new Ridgeline RTL in Lunar Silver with Black Leather yesterday after work. Here are a my initial impressions for those who may be on the fence.
-The overall ride quality is excellent and the interior is exceptionally quiet.
-The A/C worked well on a 93 degree day.
-Great leather seats are well sized and superbly comfortable. Lots of chatter on the forum about the armrests, which I think are completely overblown. I had no problem finding a very comfortable position in the driver's seat. My passenger felt the same (in her seat, that is)
-Another overblown criticism is the rear door opening. It is in no way a show-stopping design defect that some critics make of it. The doors are thick and rob some space. It is a little tight getting in, but once inside, there is more rear seat legroom than most cars.
-The truck's handling is much better than expected. It corners well - and there's no understeer.
-The 3.5L V6 works well with the 6-speed tranny and the truck pulls strongly off the line.
- It cruises at 75 without effort and without much wind, road, or engine noise.
-It seems like a great vehicle for a long road trip
Did you own a Gen1. Wheres Nowhere

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,341 Posts
I load tools and supplies in and out of the rear seat space (as well as the trunk) all week long in my GenI. If I was to replace my GenI with a II the smaller access to the rear seating area would be a significant detractor. Same goes for the significant reduction in front to back space of the trunk. For some of us coming from a GenI it is quite disappointing that Honda compromised utility in the GenII. How much $ would it really have taken to have better designed these fundamental (and signature) features of the truck?

Overblown criticism?? Its really a function of what you use the vehicle for.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Not a G1 owner and not a G2 hater, but I agree with G1 owners who are disappointed with G2 features like the rear door opening. IMO, this falls into the category of an uneven design focus and to some extent, a vehicle "thrown together with Pilot parts", as Joe puts it. Honda spent considerable effort developing and implementing the in-bed audio but then failed to optimize accessibility to the rear passenger space/cargo area with wide-opening doors.

To their credit, the G2 team recognized the need to strengthen most of the Pilot's suspension for the new RL but short-changed it on ground clearance. Admittedly, that may have been a conscious compromise in favor of fuel efficiency, but to me, it still feels like a misfire for a truck that supposedly "lets you tackle virtually any terrain with confidence" (I just got my new RL brochure with that exact quote and full-page images of the G2 going off-road).

That said, I do think the G2 has outstanding qualities that out-flank the competition and make it an excellent choice for the many happy buyers posting here. It's very possible that the G2 will find a solid market niche that's larger than G1's, and that those new owners will readily adapt to the shortcomings that disappoint G1 owners.

·
Registered
973 Posts
That said, I do think the G2 has outstanding qualities that out-flank the competition and make it an excellent choice for the many happy buyers posting here. It's very possible that the G2 will find a solid market niche that's larger than G1's, and that those new owners will readily adapt to the shortcomings that disappoint G1 owners.
Yes. It has a similar niche to the G1 in relative terms compared to other pickups. OTOH, compared to the G1 it is in a slightly different niche which is probably why some G1 owners do not like it. They were hoping for and expecting it to be more like the G1 and whereas it is more like the G1 than it is like other pickups, it still differs from the G1 in ways that (inevitably) some will not like. It is more a "luxury urban truck" than the G1, especially the high trims.

As for my personal taste, Honda went in just the right direction. I liked my G1 but this is even better in terms of features and design for me. As far as reliability, tailgate aside (and the G1 had that issue too), that remains to be seen. I understand the frustration of those G1 owners that did not get what they wanted but given that the sales of the G1 were unremarkable at best, it would not make sense for Honda to base the new design on G1 owner's wishes - they need to please lots of new buyers, not a fraction of the old ones. Will that work? Only time will tell that despite all opinions one way or the other.

Rear door opening? Really? Nitpicky tempest in a teapot, IMHO. Maybe I have different requirements but it is a big fat zero "issue" for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not a G1 owner and not a G2 hater, but I agree with G1 owners who are disappointed with G2 features like the rear door opening. IMO, this falls into the category of an uneven design focus and to some extent, a vehicle "thrown together with Pilot parts", as Joe puts it. Honda spent considerable effort developing and implementing the in-bed audio but then failed to optimize accessibility to the rear passenger space/cargo area with wide-opening doors.

To their credit, the G2 team recognized the need to strengthen most of the Pilot's suspension for the new RL but short-changed it on ground clearance. Admittedly, that may have been a conscious compromise in favor of fuel efficiency, but to me, it still feels like a misfire for a truck that supposedly "lets you tackle virtually any terrain with confidence" (I just got my new RL brochure with that exact quote and full-page images of the G2 going off-road).

Some seem to think that the G1 is the gold standard that the G2 should be judged against. Any design is a compromise. Some will find that the new design will suit them much better than the G1 would have. Just a little give and take. Nether design will suit everyone. Just hang on to that g1 and enjoy it. It will last for years and thousands of miles. Those not liking the G2 can buy used or pick another brand. Not a big deal either way. That's the beauty of the free market.

·
Registered
973 Posts
For that matter where is Camelot and where are the Northern Lights?
If you check my public profile and are a Monty Python fan, all will be clear if not better informed.

Generally I do not like to post information that might be useful to folks hacking with social engineering methods can use. For example, I do not refer to my dog's names by name on dog sites (or elsewhere) because dog names are common security questions. I call them OES One, Two, etc. on forums (of course they do have names).

I think I have stated in some posts that I reside in the wilds of Oregon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not a Monty Python fan and not interested in your pets' names. Thanks for the state. A lot of what's discussed here makes more sense in the context of the poster's location: snow, what I paid etc.

·
Registered
973 Posts
A lot of what's discussed here makes more sense in the context of the poster's location: snow....
Yup, snow we got, especially if one is going over the passes to the valley (Portland, Eugene, etc.) or the coast. Gotta lurk on the aftermarket wheels and tires threads since I will need those for the snow in the fall.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
POTUS who ever they may be or have been lives 2 miles from me.
I have been here thru about 10 of them.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
By golly, you got that right, don't ya know. Grew up there and spent 8 years at the U.
You got dat right, ya no u becha and lov it but dats in Nord Dakota. We Minnies kinda got pegged for dat for sum reason wit dat shooowe dat com ouuut yeears agoo wit dat chipppper, dat shooow called Fargo or sumpin like dat. Gotta go now and take da boooat out.:grin:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts