Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Originally Posted by bonerep
Just got my ridge home from the dealer today. YES it works. I have to program the doors to auto lock, but I'm sure that will work too. Unfortunately because my dealer couldn't find an official TSB I had to pay some costs. $24.95 for the A12 and 2 hrs labor @ 70/hr. They also gave me a loaner for the day. BTW it took 4 hrs to do the install. ( First one ) At first they told me it didn't work and I told them leave it in if everything else work. Then go find a post 09 ridge quickstart guide and follow those instructions. About 20mins later they called and said it works. Dummy me I should have told them to program the doors to auto lock. Was it worth it YES. Hope this helps.

Sounds like it is fixable.:D Congratulations on getting it done first.

·
Registered
774 Posts
When asked about a warranty install here is my answer:
Well they said no TSB no warranty. Here's my take on it Did I ask if all doors unlock when I put it in park before I bought the truck... NO. My fault. The truck worked exactly like the owners manual said. I just wanted it to work better. Could I have been a harda$$ and really put it to the dealer. After all I spent ~ 68,000.00 there in less than 4 mos.. probally but why. I intend for that dealer to service my vehicles in a professional manner for a long time. I don't want to be the "Here comes that guy again" person.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
bonerep, you just made my day! I like your perspective and your attitude. May I shake your hand? I could not agree more with what you said, but ... I also think that Honda made a bad judgement call or a mistake when the left out the option to unlock all doors. I think that it is a safety issue. Under the circumstances, if they are smart, they could offer a solution to those owners that wanted it at their cost. Dealers could be the hero in the situation if they offered to meet the owner half way on the labor. The dealer would not make any money but they would not loose any either. That seems like a reasonable solution and if it is presented properly, everyone should be happy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well the way I figure it, the normal shop rate is 80/hr. It took 4 hrs to install. I saved 180.00. I dunno I guess we'll eat in tonight instead of going out. Thanks for the positive comments Ultra-Hog.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
As they do more of them they will get a lot faster. I bet that they will get it down to about an hour. By the way, I do wholeheartedly agree with your post. In this particular case I think that there is an opportunity to make the customer happy at a very reasonable cost to everyone. If I was the dealer and I had a customer that was really upset about it, especially if you were the customer, I would be sure to take care of the bill for him. You really don't want to loose a customer over something small like this.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'm not sure why the heck I did not think of this before! I have a DEI remote start/ alarm. the combo was 349.00 installed, but they do have the remote start valet system for 189.00 installed.
I have no issues with doors unlocking or locking, as it's taken over by the alarm system.
I guess what I am saying is for 189... 4 hours labor by an alarm shop... all lock problems go away, plus you get remote start from up to 1000 feet away.
If you need spend money to get Honda to fix this.. perhaps this is an alternate way around it by spending money and getting the starter to boot! Other pluses on the system
  • sub cold weather...no prob. system auto starts every 2 to 3 hours & runs 10 to 20 minutes at your command
  • lost your RL at the mall. Find it within 1000 feet at the press of a button
  • Want a warm/ cold car when you get in... remote start 5 minutes and cab is perfect if you set controls where you want the night before.
  • Get rid of the Honda beeping horn ... alarm/valet system has a switchable high / low chirp
Anyway perhaps this is an alternate if ya need to put some bucks into it?
what works for some does not work for others... let me know if ya want more info on this

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Audiovox Pro 9800 is similar to TheRidgester's system...I programmed mine to have all 4 doors unlock when I turn the key off. Almost the same as setting it in park, just a second or two later :)
I have also really gotten to like the remote starter! Never had one before but wondered how I lived without it before!

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Maybe it's me, but this 'open all 4-doors' issue when shifting into park and having to pay the dealer if you have a pre-9/05 Ridgeline is just out of my league. First of all, I can open all 4-doors by just pressing a button. It does not make sense to me to pay the dealer to add this. It also makes me wonder when a passenger sits and waits for me to open the doors. Heck, they can reach the unlock button and unlock it themselves! What if there was a fire or an accident and I am dead? Will they die also because I could not unlock the doors? Maybe we have grown too attached to automatic accessories and sometime have I believe that we don't use common sense.
I can open all doors when getting in my truck by pressing my key-bob twice. When I park and three doors don't open, I can move my hand 3-inches and unlock all doors in about a second. So far, I'm doing OK performing this task.
I just can't understand...maybe it's just me...
(No criticizing anyone please, just my humble opinion).

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm happy with my automatic locks disabled.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The alarm and/or remote starter is a viable option. Sounds like a good idea to me, unless you park in a garage.
Just a word of warning or a reminder for those that do have a remote starter about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. If you park outside 100% of the time, no problem. If you only park inside sometimes, that is when you need to be hyper-aware of your remote starter and the possibility of accidentally starting the vehicle. It happens. People will die this year as a result never expecting that it could happen to them.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
A good reminder UH. But for those that choose to risk it or are unaware of the danger at least they have a ULEV rated engine to save them. If everything is working properly, the CO emissions are so low that it would be next to impossible to die from the CO levels. But I am NOT advocating that people run their vehicles in an enclosed space.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can't remember how many times I've gotten out of my Ridgeline (after I've already parked it) and walked around to the passenger side to get something out of that side only to find that the passenger's side door is still locked. Yes, I understand it is my stupidty but has it ever happened to you yet? Or I get out and walk around to open the passenger door for my lady friend and stand there looking silly because the door is still locked (I still believe in being a gentleman for a lady). I want / need the fuse block as soon as posible ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not to rub it in But it doesn't happen to me anymore !!!!
BTW I was able to program the doors to auto lock when the truck reaches 9 mph. So all is well with the new fuse box.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nicholas said:
Can't remember how many times I've gotten out of my Ridgeline (after I've already parked it) and walked around to the passenger side to get something out of that side only to find that the passenger's side door is still locked. Yes, I understand it is my stupidty but has it ever happened to you yet? Or I get out and walk around to open the passenger door for my lady friend and stand there looking silly because the door is still locked (I still believe in being a gentleman for a lady). I want / need the fuse block as soon as posible ... :rolleyes:
That was one of my problems too:) plus teenage or elderly passengers were fighting with the door handles when I stopped, I was afraid they will break the handel before I could unlock it:rolleyes:It was just one more thing to remember every time I stopped. I would rather pay more attention to how and where I stop safely then try to remember to quickly unlock the doors.I know I could have the feature disabled but why have a feature if you can't utilize it.so I HAD to get it fixed:)
I guess everyone has a different requirement, if it is not bothersome to someone and they can live with it, then why spend the money to get it fixed.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Hey stinger, I'm glad you got what you wanted. Enjoy your Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
One of the things at issue is that people are conditioned by SOUND - and when the auto-unlock-drivers-door occurs when the truck is put into park, people hear the unlock sound (they don't look at the locks) and assume that their door is unlocked.

I know, I can totally turn off the feature (bug?), but agree with those who have pre- 09-05 trucks and don't have this feature. It sure is nice on cold or rainy days when there are four of you in the vehicle and all are trying to get things done, or as Nicholas pointed out, you are trying to be nice to a lady friend or you've got 2 RidgeRats in the back and have enabled child safety locks (and no, I don't want to encourage them unlocking their doors - although others would just say evolution is at work if they unlock/open the door at highway speeds)... Yes - I have walked around the truck, already put the keys in my pocket, taken off gloves, shoved them on top of keys, thinking about getting kids out of the truck, and sworn at Honda for the dang blasted unlock "function" of my locks.

This is probably the only thing on my truck that I am unhappy about.

And I will splurge and go to my dealership and have them do this to/for my truck. To me, it is worth it.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
3 Posts
My original owners manual, stated it could do it (unlock all doors), couple of week later, new manual, can't do it. Should this not be a free fix? These are expensive trucks to start with why the nickel and dime approach?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts