Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola amigos,

New Ridgeline owner here, bought an '06 RTL with 176k from original owner last month and I AM LOVING IT. Other than it needing a new passenger side motor mount, some minor scratches and the headlights needing a good cleaning, this truck is in great condition.

I am waiting to change the motor mount until i get to the timing belt. Dad runs a Goodyear so I'm privileged to have the shop at my fingertips. When I get to the shop tomorrow I plan to get the timing belt cover off to check the teeth on it and determine when to tackle it. I guess I'll go ahead and do the PS as well when I do the job eventually.

So today I bought 1 qrt of Honda hypoid gear oil for the transfer case,
4 qrts of Honda VTM-4 differential fluid for the rear differential,
4 qrts of Honda ATF DW-1 for the transmission,
5 qts of Synthetic 5-20 oil and a Bosch filter
Dads shop has plenty of DOT-4 for the breaks and plenty of PS fluid.:act024:

I plan to resurface the rotors, do an alignment, change air filters and rotate tires as well.

She got a full wash, wax, plastic restorer, headlight restoration, leather conditioner and interior cleaning two days ago as well. All Mguiars products except the ArmorAll.

I'll post pictures (maybe even GoPro video as well). lml

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Looks good!

Don't forget to change the power steering fluid and the coolant while you're at it. Other than hypoid gear oil and engine oil, I prefer to stick with OEM fluids personally. And remember your cabin air filter too.

Has the radiator ever been replaced? If not, you should consider that as the OEM radiator tends to fail due to corrosion at the Belleville washer attach point on the radiator resulting in mixing of coolant and tranny fluid... not a good thing for the tranny.

There are lots of threads on all the above.

Good luck and enjoy your RL!

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Looks like a great example of an '06 RL.

Great Post with Pictures no less...

Any Gear Oil(near the same weight) will work for the Transfer Case.

The RL uses DOT 3 brake fluid, but you need to get Honda PS fluid.

I'd recommend changing the radiator when doing the Timing Belt, only need new coolant one time.

Here are all the related Radiator and Transmission threads if you haven't found them all.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

Recent Radiator/Transmission SMOD!!!

Radiator comparison: Denso/Spectra/OSC

YouTube Video of Leaking Spectra...

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
You don't like the hypoid gear oil by Honda?
Not at all...

Can't speak for Speed, but 1st it is most likely placed out to bid, and could be different source annually

Made out pretty well with the hypoid oil, transmission fluid, and VTM fluid all Honda brand for $80 at the local dealer.
Sounds you got a decent price for it all..

Only thing I'd add is Honda OEM PS Fluid..

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
I don't think my local dealer stocks OEM hypoid gear oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.