Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my first oil change last week at 6300 miles. The MM said 20% but because of CV19 and working at home, I knew it would take a while to get in. Normally when working on site, I am very close to my dealer. Working from home, I am not. My appt. was actually in two weeks from today, but they had a cancellation and called and ask if I could bring it in last Wednesday. I did and they told me it was going to take ~90 minutes. I was like, WHY? "Oh we need to do the three point inspection". I said, I don't have time for that, especially since I am stuck here on a 90F day. Do it next time. They agreed but it was still 80 minutes. I am sure it would have been way longer than 90 minutes to do it all. Did I do wrong by not having that "Three Point Inspection" done? I am planning on going back on site to work next month. Perhaps they can do it then.

Edited to change 80% to 20% which was a typo as mentioned below.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you mean the MM said, 20%?

15% is when the warning is triggered on the dash. I just had B1 done with 14,600 miles

What does you receipt say they actually did? I'm assuming it was A1, which is:

Main-Code
AReplace just the Engine Oil

Sub-Code
1Rotate Tires

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you mean the MM said, 20%?

15% is when the warning is triggered on the dash. I just had B1 done with 14,600 miles

What does you receipt say they actually did? I'm assuming it was A1, which is:

Main-Code
AReplace just the Engine Oil

Sub-Code
1Rotate Tires
Yes, the MM said 20%. Sorry for the typo. In my mind I was 80% into it.

Nope, nothing like that. It says:
1. Sentinel Oil Change 0W20
Filter, Oil Washer, Drain
2. Multi Point Inspection
Customer declined
3. No Open Recalls

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went for my first oil change last month and the Honda dealer was very short staffed of technicians. Maybe that's why it took 90 minutes?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went for my first oil change last month and the Honda dealer was very short staffed of technicians. Maybe that's why it took 90 minutes?
Yes, they were definitely short on staff.

Reactions: Tswiftma

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The multi-point inspection is checking on things like brake wear, coolant level, air filter condition, and so on.

Reactions: LeXRidge

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, the MM said 20%. Sorry for the typo. In my mind I was 80% into it.

Nope, nothing like that. It says:
1. Sentinel Oil Change 0W20
Filter, Oil Washer, Drain
2. Multi Point Inspection
Customer declined
3. No Open Recalls
Sounds like you just passed on the multi-point inspection. You should be fine to get it done in a month.

I think the SOP for a lot of dealers is to give you a print out of a vehicle, and use the colors green, yellow, and red to signify the status of those items they checked. Green: Good - Yellow: May need attention soon - Red: Needs attention now.

Like I mentioned, I recently had my second maintenance service done. All green.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
57 Posts
Concerning the initial oil change, there are some that believe the initial oil should be performed quite a bit earlier to remove metal pieces that the filter doesn't trap. Are there any here that changed the oil earlier the first time? In regards to the MM, I will probably not do a reset so to keep everything on schedule with Honda dealer servicing. I ask when I purchased the truck if they put Molybdenum disulfide antiwear additive in the engine oil and they said no. RTL-E with 400 miles on it.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
611 Posts
Concerning the initial oil change, there are some that believe the initial oil should be performed quite a bit earlier to remove metal pieces that the filter doesn't trap. Are there any here that changed the oil earlier the first time? In regards to the MM, I will probably not do a reset so to keep everything on schedule with Honda dealer servicing. I ask when I purchased the truck if they put Molybdenum disulfide antiwear additive in the engine oil and they said no. RTL-E with 400 miles on it.
Yes, there are some on here that do the first oil change early to remove anything left in the engine during the manufacturing process. I did my first oil change with about 1500 miles on the truck. I changed again about 3500 miles later and now change every 5000 miles. I don’t reset the MM when I change oil but I do track it separately.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I did my first change before 200 miles.

·
Registered
689 Posts
.........I ask when I purchased the truck if they put Molybdenum disulfide antiwear additive in the engine oil and they said no. RTL-E with 400 miles on it.
The heavy dose of moly is in the factory assembly lube.....initial start-up protection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I posted about this very thing, as I have my own break in procedures. I was basically told the MM is the most brilliant thing known to man and don't mess with it and change my oil like a Honda drone should at 15%.
Molly shmolly. It is a complete engineering impossibility for Zero wear to occur in the first few thousand miles I don't care how brilliant the Honda engineers are.
I will be changing my oil for the third time at 2100 miles. Don't reset the Moron Minder!!! all the flippin maintenance schedule is based on that and you can't even buy a printed copy of the maintenance schedule to do it your self.
After the this oil change I will be changing every 5000 miles and humor the MM with an update when it wants me to just to keep it happy and on track.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The OP says 6.3K miles and 80%........I’m just under 1K miles on last change and at 70%.😱 Big difference in driving habits.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The OP says 6.3K miles and 80%........I’m just under 1K miles on last change and at 70%.😱 Big difference in driving habits.
The 80% was actually not accurate. It was actually 20% and I edited it to reflect that.

Reactions: HRL383

·
Registered
689 Posts
👍 Ooops, didn’t see post #3. Something tells me I won’t get close to 6.3K and 20%.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
👍 Ooops, didn’t see post #3. Something tells me I won’t get close to 6.3K and 20%.
I bought my RL last October. So nearly 9 mos ago. I would have had many more miles on it by now (and the first oil change months ago) but with CV19 I have been working from home since the first week of March.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe I did something wrong as I drove mine 10 months and 7000 miles before A1 MM kicked on. Been a weird year. Now my dealer is telling me since I only have two months before my initial 12 months run out that my second free oil change is no longer free (would have been B1 service). Little bummed about that - thought it would be first two oil changes free. Free state inspections for life anyway (getting that done too since I’m here) but they rake you on the required State of PA emissions.

Sure doesn’t seem like my dealer is offering any extensions or considerations due to the changes in the mileage calendar under Covid-19. I’ll remember that.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,044 Posts
Sure doesn’t seem like my dealer is offering any extensions or considerations due to the changes in the mileage calendar under Covid-19. I’ll remember that.
Unfortunately they need to keep the lights on and people employed during this time. I believe understanding goes both ways, but I do see your point. One oil change should not break their back; in this case, that might be the case.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts