Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does everyone plan on first changing the oil in their new G2? This is my first new vehicle so I am debating how early to do it to remove any metallic bits generated during the break in period. I have followed the other rules of thumb regarding varying engine speed and not hammering on the throttle, but am not sure about the oil issue. I'm currently sitting at ~350 miles.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
When does everyone plan on first changing the oil in their new G2? This is my first new vehicle so I am debating how early to do it to remove any metallic bits generated during the break in period. I have followed the other rules of thumb regarding varying engine speed and not hammering on the throttle, but am not sure about the oil issue. I'm currently sitting at ~350 miles.
Follow your Maintenance Minder in your vehicle for the oil changes. Do not change oil any sooner I guess they still use Break In Oil for new vehicles so the owners manual should tell you.
You do not want to change this Break In Oil early.
The MM when reset at oil change will calculate what the percent of oil life is based on your vehicle driving. Follow Minder & Owners Manual on this don't trust dealer service all are not honest. And if you do it yourself oil change person should still follow MM Schedule and reset when change oil.
I guess it's still percent and service due soon and service due now type of MM system.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I normally change mine on a new vehicle at about 1500 miles.
Way to early you have Break In Oil from factory. Old school thinking on this stuff. Wait to change oil by Maintenance Minder System and what your Owners Manual says.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's generally accepted practice to leave the factory fill in the engine until at least 15% oil life. Honda uses assembly oils with high moly content to aid break in, or they use a special break-in oil. Leave it in until 15% or one year.depending on y our driving environment, you'll probably go a minimum of 5,000 miles, or up to 10,000.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Hey.... I was wrong and just learned something. That's what makes this place great! I had no idea that Honda still uses a break-in oil. It looks like the other manufacturers don't use it.....

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil

5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Hey.... I was wrong and just learned something. That's what makes this place great! I had no idea that Honda still uses a break-in oil. It looks like the other manufacturers don't use it.....

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil

5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles
Still go by the owners manual or the Maintenance Minder System or in this case the Oil Life Indicator found in the MID-Multi Information Display. They were debating this Break-In Oil back in 1999 when I was on The old Acura TL forum people were changing there new car oil way to early. I have a 2000 TL I did not change first oil it when new to soon. Did not change the Break-In Oil to soon in the 2007 Ridgeline when new got over 160,000 miles on it. I have been in for service at my Honda Center the Dealership has 2 service shops. One was the original shop they had in the 70s when the dealership was there. They re did it and reopened it because the volume of service they do and also closer to city. So in that shop waiting room it's small and you can hear phone calls and people talking to service. I have been their several times and people calling with newer Honda cars asking could they come in for oil change. They ask mileage and tell them it's to early for oil change. I been there and lady came in with same question they told her to early wait for oil life indicator to tell you. I think it says if you have not changed oil in year have it done. I guess this would be for people that don't drive their car that much. But not sure what this owners manual says but recent previous owners manual say to keep break in oil in for as long as possible following oil life indicator change at 12 months if it does not indicate change at percentage 15% due soon 5% due now.
This break -in oil is what Honda put in I am sure they know with Acura/Honda vehicles by now. As said I remember this going on back in 1999 when I got my 2000 3.2TL on the Forum. Follow the owners manual on this.
If they have not changed it in all these years must be okay.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Has anyone been able to access the maintenance schedule on the Honda Owners site? When I click to get it for a 2017 Ridgeline I just get the same selection page without any info.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,363 Posts
Unless Honda has changed their procedure, Honda does NOT use a special break-in oil. The high moly content comes from the assembly process. Yes, I agree to do the first change when the MM hits 0%. I also realize that will be a struggle to wait that long for many people! So do whatever you like, but read the following and make an informed decision on your first OCI.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have 4,252 miles on my RTL-E. Maintenance minder says I have 60% oil life. Looks like you have a way to go if you follow Honda's advice. BTW: I began a cross country trip on 6/20, which is why so many miles so fast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the blends of oil now days, the thinking of break-in oil and changes every 3,000 miles is long gone.
My wife has a 2015 Rav4 and the first oil change was at one year or 10,000 miles, no break-in change, and it only requires annual/10,000 mile oil changes. I have run Mobil 1 synthetic in my dodge dakota and change it every 5-7,000 miles.
Just as technology changes, so does mechanical things and lubricants, as well as gasoline. I would rest easy just following the MM.
Your filter will catch the particles and those that don´t get caught by the filter will settle in the bottom of the pan. The oil pick up tube in the oil pan is not directly on the bottom, it is raised a bit off the bottom of the pan, so it never gets the sediments/sludge resting in the oil pan. If for some reason there is something that floats past and does get into the cylinder, it will be small enough that it get burned out and will not cause any harm.
Just my thoughts,
and if you are wondering I am a certified Mercury Outboard Technician and Certified Gold Arctic Cat Technician.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,363 Posts
An interesting aside, the 2015 loaner Accord I had for over 4 months and 11,000+ miles was being maintained on a 5k mile OCI by the Honda shop for some reason. So when I took it in for service, there was typically 40 or 50% remaining on the oil life indicator. Shrug.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,166 Posts
An interesting aside, the 2015 loaner Accord I had for over 4 months and 11,000+ miles was being maintained on a 5k mile OCI by the Honda shop for some reason. So when I took it in for service, there was typically 40 or 50% remaining on the oil life indicator. Shrug.
What a waste, if it was me, I'd of questioned it, what's the point of the maintenance minder system, if they don't follow it.

Reactions: Mac1520

·
Registered
213 Posts
What a waste, if it was me, I'd of questioned it, what's the point of the maintenance minder system, if they don't follow it.
The dealers almost universally recommend 5k mile service intervals. Why? So they make more money. Simple as that. You come in twice as often and they double-dip into your wallet. Most people fall for this tactic, for whatever reason. They are probably keeping up the same OCI on the loaner because it's their routine and they have to keep up appearances. If customers found out the dealer's own loaner car was only getting it's oil changed every 10k miles, their recommendations to customers might get questioned.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
This came up years ago when the Gen1 came out, break in oil or not, when to do that first change. It was kind of all over the board on what to do or what not to do so I did my first change in between :grin: it takes no oil after 7500 miles and I just got 20.7 mpgs this weekend and it has 107,000 miles on it now. Most dont drive there new vehicles over 100,000 miles or a few years after purchase but those stats may have changed. So really if one falls into that youll be fine, its the next owner that might worry about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm at 6,600 miles maintenance minder says 20% left and I'm planning a 1,000 mile interstate speed trip. After reading these posts and some other stuff I'm inclined to do the trip with the existing oil and get a oil change at my destination.

If the MM drops to 10% before I leave I may take it for fresh oil and filter.

Does anyone knowledgeable on this stuff think otherwise?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
No wrong way to do it here, just be sure to check the oil level, that's what's important. Personally, I just change every 5k. The MM is definitely factoring in variables though. A few years back we had a really cold winter and our Odyssey spent a lot of time idling and short trips. It didn't even make it to 5k miles before the 20% came on.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm at 6,600 miles maintenance minder says 20% left and I'm planning a 1,000 mile interstate speed trip. After reading these posts and some other stuff I'm inclined to do the trip with the existing oil and get a oil change at my destination.

If the MM drops to 10% before I leave I may take it for fresh oil and filter.

Does anyone knowledgeable on this stuff think otherwise?
That's pretty interesting. My MM didn't advise a change until almost exactly 10,000 miles. (And I didn't do it until the MM told me too.) In any case, according to your report, you have more than 1,000 miles to go with your oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hit 15% at around 6000 miles if I remember. I had 113000 trouble free miles on my G1 and it seemed like the MM hit 15% or so anywhere from 6000-8000 miles.

1 - 20 of 297 Posts