Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

241 - 260 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Speedlever,

Do you use grease or silicone to lube the pins. I use 3M silicone on the caliper pins. Everyone does it different.

And wow!!!!!!!!!! 113K on the original front brake pads ... you must be using your feet to stop, LOL :)

David
An additional caliper slide lube I swear by. Used by a lot of professional mechanics. Silicon PTFE and handles the heat...It can be used to lube o-rings and a bunch of other jobs...will not effect rubber slide boots, etc...Easy to get at Harbor Freight or any hardware/auto store...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,359 Posts
Hi Speedlever,

Do you use grease or silicone to lube the pins. I use 3M silicone on the caliper pins. Everyone does it different.

And wow!!!!!!!!!! 113K on the original front brake pads ... you must be using your feet to stop, LOL :)

David
I use CRC synthetic brake and caliper grease.
https://smile.amazon.com/CRC-05359-Caliper-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000M8PZGE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547093655&sr=8-3&keywords=brake+grease+synthetic

My truck sees a lot of in town miles, but no towing, so that helps (no towing). No Flintstone brakes here!

·
Registered
136 Posts
LOL! Shouldn't be an issue for you!! Can I come over and use your garage? Be there in 30 minutes! J/k. Maybe when my parents aren't looking I'll install one in the garage. haha.

Speaking of Subaru, we have a Forester and when doing an oil change, seeing the filter sitting on top is a moment of joy.
If you are near Stanwood let me know :smile: My wife has a 2015 Forester. I've never done the oil on it. She just makes appointments and goes to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Hi Speedlever,

David
I only had about 85K on my G1 when I sold it, and never replaced the brakes. These things LAST nowadays!

Reactions: longboat

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I only had about 85K on my G1 when I sold it, and never replaced the brakes. These things LAST nowadays!
I have over 159k on my original pads, but it is a lightweight Accord coupe with a manual trans. Also, lotsa highway miles early in its career. I may replace the pads next summer....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you are near Stanwood let me know :smile: My wife has a 2015 Forester. I've never done the oil on it. She just makes appointments and goes to the dealer.
I'm actually only about 30 minutes from Stanwood, toward Granite Falls, which isn't that far considering I commute to Seattle. :|

The Forester is super easy! It's probably more time and effort to take it to the dealer than it would be to do wherever it is parked! Our Subie lives in Oregon and most of those changes are just done in a parking lot it's so easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did my first OC today and OMG if I ever meet the engineer who put that filter there he / she will regret being born. That is the worst setup I've seen in my 35+ years of working on cars. I mean WTF were they thinking.

Good thing I only have to change oil every 7500 miles...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,359 Posts
I've seen that, but I was using ramps so that wasn't an option. Might try that next time w/o the ramps.

Still a bad design regardless.
Bubba, that's also time for a tire rotation. So I put my RL up on 4 jackstands when I do an OCI and everything is easy to get to. I remember when we first got the Pilot, I used to do oil changes on the ground by turning the wheel hard right. But with it up on jackstands, everything is just easier. And if I had a lift, that would be ever so much better! (as long as it used the jack points to lift). But the jackstands are my value alternative. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Did my first OC today and OMG if I ever meet the engineer who put that filter there he / she will regret being born. That is the worst setup I've seen in my 35+ years of working on cars. I mean WTF were they thinking.

Good thing I only have to change oil every 7500 miles...
Build some ramps out of 2x12 lumber. Two or three planks should do it, depending on how high you need to lift it.

Drill pilot holes in the lumber, then attach with screws. Bevel the ends to make driving up them easier. Add a removable cross piece so you can easily and properly space them apart each time.

Those plank ramps should be of sufficient width to allow you to turn the wheel safely.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: First oil change

It may be free at the dealer if you bought new ? worth checking....

If not, pretty easy job. Good threads on oil change here, SEARCH tab

·
Registered
554 Posts
Re: First oil change

Per the manual, no filter change required. So less than 10min job. Don't even really need a ramp.

·
Administrator
15,153 Posts
Moderator's note: Thread merged with one of many existing threads on "first oil changes". Please use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread.

241 - 260 of 296 Posts