Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

261 - 280 of 296 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I did my oil change myself. Per the Manual, 0W-20W Full Synthetic Motor Oil

The recommended 1st change from our local dealer was 3500miles, but I changed at 1500 then again 3500 +/-

Next will be 10,000, then every 7,500 +/- thereafter. A lot has to do with how you drive and the conditions in which you drive.

When a motor is 1st made the 1st oil change will be pretty dirty. Mine was, my 2nd was dirtier than I thought it would be.

Proactive maintenance is the best way to keep the drive train healthy.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,359 Posts
Actually, it's pretty important to leave the factory fill in there until the first oil change is due.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,153 Posts
The recommended 1st change from our local dealer was 3500miles, but I changed at 1500 then again 3500 +/-

Next will be 10,000, then every 7,500 +/- thereafter. A lot has to do with how you drive and the conditions in which you drive.
Your dealer recommends premature and unnecessary oil changes because that's how they make money.

Honda, the company that designed and manufactured your vehicle, spent lots of time developing an oil life monitoring system that calculates remaining oil life based on actual driving conditions and minimum quality oil - not time or mileage.

Honda expects you to follow it.

You won't hurt anything by changing your oil prematurely and unnecessarily other than your wallet and the environment, unless you're resetting the Maintenance Minder before the oil life reaches 15% so it can prompt you for other maintenance items that are due along with that oil change. If you keep resetting it prematurely, you won't know what other maintenance is due.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Appreciate that Honda recommends oil changes when they do, agree that all companies error on a large side of caution and opportunity. But, common sense dictates when the oil is black, probably a good time to change it, as was the case with my 1st oil change.

With my New 2012 Ford Truck 150 , My New 2014 GMC Sierra and my New 2017 Nissan Frontier ..... All the dealers I bought them from did a oil change at 1500 mi, that was free. The Honda dealer here did not offer or recommend that. Having personally built and rebuilt engines of every American and most Japanese manufacturers (Honda not one of them) It is typical to change oil in new engines after the the break in of the motor (1000-1500mi). I know that is old school, But it does not hurt and keeping lubrication system pristine is cheap insurance to a motor.

A good example ... living in Hawaii and other tropical islands keeping the car cleaned is essential to keeping corrosion from destroying the body. In my work our vendors provide to outside machines a 5 year coating (that's what they call it) but in reality, it is only rated for 3 years ..... In Guam, the salt corrosion there is twice as bad as here. So, the generic recommendations we get for that equipment we cannot go by or we are replacing for free, the corroded equipment because we relied on the manufacturer's recommendations and warranty spec.... Warranties are always in my world ... you go fix it, then later, we (the mfr) will repay you.

So, vigilance and prevention are always paramount with anything mechanical.

Here in Hawaii, really do not have the same measure of trust in mechanics here as I did in the other states. The expertise level here is not the same.

As stated before, although Honda's manual and other manufacturer's manuals provide guidelines to when they recommend a maintenance schedule. Those recommendations are based on weighted averaging of statistics they compile and engineering design testing. That said, the owner or maintainer of any motor vehicle should always consider their environment and driving conditions and adjust any maintenance schedules accordingly. my 2¢

·
Administrator
15,153 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
A good example ... living in Hawaii and other tropical islands keeping the car cleaned is essential to keeping corrosion from destroying the body.
If I lived in Hawaii I wouldn't give a damn about a truck.
I'd walk to the beach every day and you'd never get the smile off my face.
You lucky dog...

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
63 Posts
The retail price of a "genuine Honda" crush washer at the dealer is 50 cents. I buy them in packs of six for 96 cents (16 cents each) when I buy six filters and cases of oil from College Hills Honda. Given an average of 9,000 miles per oil change and 1,000 miles per month of driving, that breaks down to 1.8 cents per month or $1.49 over the average ownership period of seven years to replace the crush washer. If you pick up one penny off the ground every two weeks, you'll have paid for the crush washer. Honda says to replace it, so I'm going to do so at every oil change without exception. :)
Do you have the links to the washers and filters? I only found the single washers.

·
Administrator
15,153 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first oil change on my G2 had some interesting issues. Yes, the truck is lower by a inch so it makes it just a little more difficult to slide under. Secondly, I can throw away all my cap style oil filter removers and I used a Tong Grips to loosen the filter by the front tire. Oil flows all over the lower control arm and all you can do is catch it with a pan. Replace the filter and topped up the oil with 0w-30 Syn I wanted that extra high temp protection coverage. I then dropped my oil cap down the engine compartment...it went down like a pachinko ball....and took my 20 min to locate and then fish it back up... I was sweating balls by that time...lol First time is always a learning experience... should go better next time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I tried the red oil deflector thingy on my recent oil change and had pretty decent success with it...

This is doing it all from the wheel well with the tire all the way to the right.
So it magnetically sticks to whatever part is directly under the oil filter....I turn the filter a bit with the pliers to loosen it and then hand turn it to start it draining slowly....most deflects off the deflector and down into the catch pan but the one side of the deflector could be a bit higher...I got a bit of the suspension arm or whatever it is...

I loosened it more so whatever drained from it on its own did so, and then carefully undid it the whole way....didn’t even have the bag around it. It’s a bit tricky to hold it level taking it out from there. Then you can dump the rest into the oil catch pan or have a bag ready to put it in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whoever installed the fumoto valve, did you buy the adp-106 or adl-106. It says on the website that the adp-106 is the one for the valve you mention. The reason I ask is I find the valve alone points down and has me worried. So looking to get the adapter.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Whoever installed the fumoto valve, did you buy the adp-106 or adl-106. It says on the website that the adp-106 is the one for the valve you mention. The reason I ask is I find the valve alone points down and has me worried. So looking to get the adapter.
I have the F106SX valve along with the ADL-106 adapter on my 2019. I've got a picture somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the response. This is on the website. Confusing wording. First says to use the ADP-106, but then says can use either.

FIND YOUR MODEL

FOR HONDA 2017 RIDGELINE 3.5L V6
Your oil pan has a recessed drain port and may require ADP-106 to install the valve. F106SX can be installed without the adapter. However, if it can only be pointed down close to the ground, use ADP-106 or ADL-106 to change its orientation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
WTF?
15% oil life left?
Everybody knows that the 1st oil change is critical. Waiting until the oil life meter says 15% is just too long.
Knowledgeable mechanics consistently say 5000 miles is the right time. I have seen too many sludge filled engine top ends where owners waited to 8-10 thousand miles, thinking their oil protection lasted. Perhaps another thousand or two, maybe....
Thoughts?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The advise on here is going to be to the same as your dealer (per MM).

I'll be changing mine at approx. 3,000 miles though (because that's my expected mileage at the 12 month old mark)!

·
Registered
648 Posts
You got a choice: Do your own schedule and throw the Maintenance Minder schedule out the window and screw up your other schedules down the road, or follow the Maintenance Minder prompts and don't worry about it. The initial fill has more moly in it, and is recommended to change at your normal first change schedule at 15% on the Maintenance Minder.

That said, Maintenance Minder first oil change is not the same for everyone. Some people with mainly city driving may get to 4500 miles before the message pops up, others mainly highway may get to 8-9k miles.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
496 Posts
5k oil/filter (tire rotation) and 30k transmission for me. Has always kept my previous Hondas running smooth...
I’m not depending on the MM to remind me of service. Just keep good records if you plan on doing your own service.
To each his own... 😁

·
Administrator
15,153 Posts
Everybody knows that the 1st oil change is critical.
That's exactly why you shouldn't change the oil until prompted by the Maintenance Minder. :)

If you want the engine to break in properly and timely and last hundreds of thousands of miles, follow the Maintnence Minder which was programmed by the engineers who designed the engine - not by owners, mechanics, or companies that sell engine oil.

261 - 280 of 296 Posts