Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E Modern Steel with Gray interior
203 Posts
‘I believe that the oil life indicator come on way later than 40-50%. It better as the indicator Would drive me crazy.
Correct, my wording was confusing -the warning indicator doesn't come on for the first time until you hit 15%. I was saying my truck has 4500 miles on it and the oil life still reads 50% left (hopefully that makes sense:)), so OPs still showing 30% at 7600 is not out of the norm.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep, I'm sitting at 4500 and of memory serves me the oil life indicator is at 50% or 40%.
Well, I am sitting at 60% life and coming up to 1 year next month.
I will change it soon, but not sure if I should reset the oil's maintenance minder or not.
Some people said it only resets the oil life reminder while other people said doing it before the 15% will screw (resets to zero?) up the maintenance for everything else.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,520 Posts
Don't touch it until it reaches 15% You can even wait until 0% if it hasn't been a year or you don't exceed 8000 miles after your first change. You might just make it to 0% by the time you need your next oil change.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’m at 5000 50% and 10 months in.
Did the oil/ filter change left reminder at 50%. Will do another change at 100%
Same plan here - currently at 4500 miles and 50% and changing the oil/filter, then again at 0-5% left. I will then follow the maintenance schedule as it comes up - just about killed me coming from the old school (oil changes every 3000 miles way back when and 5000 later on). Finally decided to follow the schedule when we purchased a 2014 Acura RDX, except for I still have to do one at 5000. Anyway RDX has run like a champ going on 9 years and 120K miles following Acura/Honda's schedule via the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same plan here - currently at 4500 miles and 50% and changing the oil/filter, then again at 0-5% left. I will then follow the maintenance schedule as it comes up - just about killed me coming from the old school (oil changes every 3000 miles way back when and 5000 later on). Finally decided to follow the schedule when we purchased a 2014 Acura RDX, except for I still have to do one at 5000. Anyway RDX has run like a champ going on 9 years and 120K miles following Acura/Honda's schedule via the maintenance minder.
1. 3000 mile oil changes were invented by Jiffy Lube as a revenue generator.

2. Also, newer synthetic motor oils are much better than traditional motor oils

3. Newer cars with oil life measurements likely track crank shaft revolutions to calculate oil life.

·
Registered
203 Posts
1. 3000 mile oil changes were invented by Jiffy Lube as a revenue generator.

2. Also, newer synthetic motor oils are much better than traditional motor oils

3. Newer cars with oil life measurements likely track crank shaft revolutions to calculate oil life.
Heck I'm way older than when Jiffy Lube started to advertise:).

·
Registered
146 Posts
3000 mile oil changes were invented by Jiffy Lube as a revenue generator.
Heck I'm way older than when Jiffy Lube started to advertise:).
Yes, some people still think they need to change the oil in their modern car like their great-great- grandfather did with their 1910 Ford Model T (1,000 miles).

Some people are a little more up-to-date and change the oil in their modern car like their grandfather did with their 1968 Ford Torino (6,000 miles).

Then there are a few people who service their modern car like a modern car :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, some people still think they need to change the oil in their modern car like their great-great- grandfather did with their 1910 Ford Model T (1,000 miles).

Some people are a little more up-to-date and change the oil in their modern car like their grandfather did with their 1968 Ford Torino (6,000 miles).

Then there are a few people who service their modern car like a modern car :)
Yep, I finally decided to move into the 21st century when we bought our 2014 RDX (up until then it was always easy to keep every 5000 miles in my mind:), even though I knew with modern oils/engines I could go longer - plus I liked working on my vehicles and being younger not hard on the old body). It is nice not to be crawling around on my back underneath a vehicle so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts