Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Ridge back from the first Service. The results were a little dissapointing. The dealer claims free loaner cars and the vehicle serviced will be washed and vaccumed before you get it back.

Items to be Fixed:

1) Water Leak Passenger side
2) Rubber tray above glove box Loose
3) Rear window weather strip bent
4) This is not an ashtray rubbing

Additional Items:

1) Install Trailer Hitch
2) First Oil change

They gave me a loaner car which was a beat up, banged up civic that was so dirty it was not even funny. They ended up keeping my truck for two days and when I got it back this is what I found:

1) Engine Oil life was not reset, I had to ask to get it reset so I don't know if they really changed the oil.

2) Rubber tray not replaced had to be ordered

3) Rear window weather strip not replaced, had to be ordered

4) Not an ashtray not replaced, had to be ordered

5) Glove box now slams open like something got disconnected

6) Greasy finger prints and spots on the dashboard

7) Truck was returned dirty, with no attempt made to clean it

To say I'm dissapointed is an understatement. I would like to continue to take the vehicle to this dealer for service beacuse it is close to home so don't want to go postal on them but this is unacceptable. What to do......

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow, I am sorry that you had such a disappointing experience. Did they know ahead of time that replacement parts would be needed? Have you talked with the Service Manager of the dealership? I can't imagine that a quality organization would find your experience acceptable. They would probably welcome the feedback, they might not know that their operation is doing so poorly. If that wasn't satisfactory have you gone up the chain to the General Manager, Owner, etc.? You can always call Daddy Honda and / or your local BBB. I had one bad service experience with my dealership and after one conversation with the service manager everything was made right and I have never had any problems since.

I would have refused the dirty Civic and told them that they either had to clean it up or get me a new car. If they wouldn't do that I would ask for a Manager right then and there. Dealerships are just like every other type of business, good, bad and ugly ones. You may have to find another dealer and that would be a shame; their loss another dealerships gain.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Print your own post and take it back to the dealer "mad as hell". They should get the point.

·
Registered
205 Posts
DEFINITELY!!

steveberger said:
Print your own post and take it back to the dealer "mad as hell". They should get the point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
6) Greasy finger prints and spots on the dashboard
GRRRRRRR. :mad: Nothing says sloppy service like paw prints. It makes me doubt the quality of any other work that was supposed to be done.

I hope you get things worked out at that dealer.

I had reservations when I called the service department about a leaking headlight. The goober on the phone asked, "Why is that a problem?"

They were much nicer when I arrived for my appointment. They gave me a ride home, no loaner, but it took two days to fix it since the part wasn't in stock.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Whos ad is running now on TV dealing w/ service? (bad ad if I cannot remember who they are or what they are trying to sell me...) - but it sounds like this dealership doesn't want your business.

I had my first service this AM and came out seething. I will be calling the service manager on Monday.

My beef: having to wait 20 minutes to be told my truck was done, when I watched the tech drive it to the curb for me to pick it up. Service writer was too busy to tell me about what was going on. IMO, they need to have a second writer, or someone who is also "qualified" to tell me my truck is done and what the cost ended up being and that a part was ordered.

They did manage to re-set the service reminder, left the truck clean (outside only, they don't do the interior clean - another local dealership does - I may try them next).

7000 miles on the truck - >10% on the oil.

Still love driving the truck!

- ridgeln

·
Registered
218 Posts
My dealer has at least four service writers and a supervisor on duty all week. There are three on Saturday and Sunday. In the fifteen years I have dealt with them they have never been anything but first class. I paid a little more than some have told about here ($1000 above invoice) but I think I get it back many times over. I deal with Elk Grove Honda (was South City Honda before the move). Maggie Tadlock runs a first class operation. Purchase price is only part of a good deal.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't think that I will ever understand why there is such a disconnect between sales and service at so many dealerships today. If the owner of the dealership is so far removed from the day-to-day operations of his dealership that his employees are treating his customers as poorly as these examples, he does not deserve your service or future purchase business. Why is it so hard for them to understand that over the period of time that the customer owns the vehicle the service department not only will make more money for them than the sales transaction did but can either make or break the chance of the customer becoming a repeat buyer of new vehicles. The service customer can also be his best friend as a source of referrals - or his worst enemy. The choice is his.

Sadly, we as consumers may be contributing to the breakdown of dealerships being motivated to provide more than the bare minimum service to us. I am not saying that we should put up with substandard or sloppy service, not at all. When we buy vehicles as a commodity from any dealer that offers just the lowest price, we can not reasonably expect other dealers to go above and beyond the bare minimum for us when we need service. When we purchase as commodity we can only expect service to be provided as a commodity. Again, I am not saying that substandard service is acceptable. Having greasy handprints on the interior, the oil life monitor not reset and the glove box not reinstalled correctly is far from acceptable. I agree completely with SmokyMtnRidger.

If you are fortunate enough to find a quality traditional dealership, as opposed to dealerships with absentee owners and sell on price alone, I suggest that the kind of problems in the service department as posted here will be a very rare exception. While a quality traditional dealership may be hard to find, they are out there. They also are more likely to be there tomorrow for you when you are in a jamb and need them to go above and beyond the minimums for you. I do not believe that their prices will be significantly higher than other dealers but I also do not expect a quality traditional dealer to be lower. If you establish an ongoing relationship with a quality traditional dealer, while your initial purchase price may be slightly higher, the rewards for you are many. They may be able to afford to have a second service writer on duty. They may be able to stock a greater quantity of parts. They may be able to have additional clean-up and detail employees on the payroll so that you vehicle is returned to you cleaner than you left it. Personally, I find it very important to be able to depend on a dealer for my ongoing service needs. They earn my confidence for future new purchases and referrals by providing good service.

All of the above is contingent being able to find a quality traditional dealer within a reasonable distance. I recognize that I am very fortunate to have an exceptional dealer in my home town. If they were not acceptable I would either have to travel a reasonable distance to find one or choose another brand. For those that do not need to depend on their selling dealer for service then letting price determine who gets your business is also valid. I suggest that it is even more difficult to find a dealer that sells vehicles on price alone that also provides exceptional service. While the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive, as a practical matter, they are.

Spiritgeezer, it sounds like you and I agree 100%. My local dealer is Dix Honda located in State College, Pennsylvania. The owners are Dave (founder and father) and Jason Dix. My salesperson is Bill Elder. I have purchased 4 vehicles from them in the past 5 years. I have referred countless customers to them. I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Dix Honda other than as any other very satisfied customer does. And yes,
Purchase price is only part of a good deal.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Well said, U-H.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
When I bought my Ridgeline it was from a dealer about 25 miles from where I live. Another dealer is about 1/4 mile from where I work. I only went to the first one because they had the color I wanted in stock. So, on finding this out during the sale process, the selling dealer only half-heartedly tried to tell me about all their great service features - express lube etc etc, and eventually said "you're not likely to be coming to service with us are you?", to which I had to be honest and say that it was unlikely.

Question - should I expect any different service from the dealer whom I will be going to for service when they know I bought the truck at a competititor down the road? Other than a test drive, I haven't had any real contact with this dealer, so it's not like a screwed them on a deal but now want their service, but I too will be going in with a list of "things to do" - creaking steering wheel, windscreen whistle etc etc - the usual stuff.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Oil Change

I know there is a thread for this, but when I do a search it does not allow OIL..too short. Please feel free to combine or remove.

My dealer gave me a price of $29 for the A1 Service...seems fair to me, and I can bring up all of the other little problems like the "not an ashtray" sticking.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I moved it for you. I think this would be a good place for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts