Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very first time towing anything, and had no issues for over 400 miles. I was able to save over $400 by not renting a U-Haul truck, and the trailer was only $50 a day with insurance, unlimited miles. In terms of fuel economy, 16.x mpg full, and 17.x empty, based off the on-board computer.

Had to purchase the hitch, 2inch ball, and 7-4 connector pin for the trailer lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good for you!

I’ve seen various posts on the forum about 7-pin to4-pin adapters. Does Honda’s factory hitch no longer include the 4-pin connector outlet alongside the 7-pin outlet?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Good for you!

I’ve seen various posts on the forum about 7-pin to4-pin adapters. Does Honda’s factory hitch no longer include the 4-pin connector outlet alongside the 7-pin outlet?
That would be correct. As of '09, the 4-pin was dropped.

Though that trailer is stupid heavy when dry, the surge brakes do it some great justice. Tow a trailer of at least 3500lbs with no brakes whatsoever and let me know how the G2 likes it. When I used to tow my 3500lb trailer for many years, they were very demanding on the brakes. When I towed the 6x12 U-Haul, it felt smooth and steady.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those trailers are the best value for UHaul rental if you don't have a lot of big items. And even then you can take couple trips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good for you!

Actually, my Ridgeline came with the 4-7 adaptor. It was in the console with some documentation. Perhaps your truck didn't come with towing pkg???

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Agree, the 7-4pin adapter must have been a dealer extra. There was a trailer brake wiring harness in the trunk of my 2018 RTL-E.

I cut a hole in the foam tray where the receiver plug would normally reside so I could store my 7-4/5 pin adapter. If I remove the wiring adapter I can still store the receiver plug in it's original spot. It's a no-cost, win-win mod. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That would be correct. As of '09, the 4-pin was dropped.

Though that trailer is stupid heavy when dry, the surge brakes do it some great justice. Tow a trailer of at least 3500lbs with no brakes whatsoever and let me know how the G2 likes it. When I used to tow my 3500lb trailer for many years, they were very demanding on the brakes. When I towed the 6x12 U-Haul, it felt smooth and steady.
I'm not sure about all states but most require trailer brakes for a trailer of over 3,000 lbs

·
Registered
652 Posts
So not to add another thread, we recently towed our 1300 pound folding trailer, (no trailer brakes), for the first time with our 2019 Ridgeline. Going down the highway it did wonderfully, it was hard to tell that the trailer was even there. But when we returned home we came back over a twisty/turny/ steep/ sometimes single lane mountain road, and it was here we ran into a minor, though concerning, issue where the transmission does not downshift into first gear coming down those hills and we were forced to ride the brakes, a lot! Actually, they were getting warm enough where we could smell them. Like I said, a minor complaint during a very explicit circumstance but something to keep in mind.

Bill

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Had a great experience with that 6 x 12 Uhaul trailer about a month ago behind my 08 RTL. It plugged right in to my OEM hitch and 4 pin electrical. It was full with all the heavy stuff in the front. Towed it all the way from Boise to Mount Vernon, WA. Everything turned out great, it was just hard to put the CC on 55mph and leave it there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts