Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooked up the trailer and went over to Moundsville WV to grab a Kubota B1700. With attachments and loaded tires it weighed in around 2000 lbs plus another 600 for the trailer. Empty on the way there I averaged 21, on the way home 16 hit the RL did a great job especially up in the hills and handling the load coming down 250 in to the valley. Kept her in L and let the engine do the taking. I really did not have to ride the brakes. When I needed to use them they worked great. If I go to a larger trailer it will have electronic brakes for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Nice setup. I've lusted after a Kubota my whole adult life, even now when I have no use for one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice setup. I've lusted after a Kubota my whole adult life, even now when I have no use for one.
They are nice. This one is over 25yrs old and 8000 hrs. Runs like new. Was garages its whole life and had complete fluid/ filter changes annually. I have a B3200 I use for field work, brush hogging and moving material with the bucket. Got it used as well but only 170hrs on that one. The 1700 will be used for finish mowing. 60” deck will make short work of that task.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks great, enjoy the mowing!!

Reactions: JJkroch

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wow, it looks nearly brand new, for being 25 years old. Amazing! I got one heck of a deal on a used John Deere 2305 w/front end loader last spring. Only 500 hours on it. It's not even broken in yet. ;) Got it for a sweet $5k. That was my one and only attempt at towing so far. I still had my 2006 RL then. Handled it just fine.

Reactions: JJkroch

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was well cared for. Just had new wheels and tires put on in April as well. Sometimes you just come across things that are too good to just pass up.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts
2500lbs should not be a huge task. Once you hit the 3500lbs and more, then you see the difference. Also having a trailer that is taller than the roofline of the G2 makes a difference.
That is a nice looking trailer.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Those are nice tractors, and the B is a step up from the BX that seems so common now.

In many ways, those older tractors are nicer than the new ones. The new ones have more finite engineering built into them, which is a nice way of saying that they are probably a little less robust.

I think some of the best small tractors were built during the 60s, except transmission options were fairly limited then. Most of the tractors you find from that era have manual transmissions, and everybody seems to want hydro nowadays. Hydro is great for lots of back & forth, like mowing around obstacles or using a loader, but it's hard to beat a manual for durability and simplicity.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For working the woods, trail maintenance and brush hogging, the 3200 can take it all day long with power to spare. We'll see how much more the 1700 can do than mow. It does have a rear PTO and 3 point hitch. Not sure I want to wrestle the mower off to use it though.

The trailer was from Sam's Club. The overall weight rating, US manufacturer and durability along with the cost got me to bite on it. It tucks in nicely behind the RL. I just wish I could take off or lower that rear ramp more so it is less of a sail. Size on it is 6' x 10'. One nice feature for loading/unloading is that all the sides swing down giving you clear access to the deck. I have some plywood panels that I can set on the front and sides for hauling bulk products (mulch, rock). Tow it home with the RL, Drop the trailer and use the loader to move the material.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
We have a B2320DT at work with the three-cylinder (Perkins?) diesel. It runs out of traction before it runs out of power. It is too light, but works for what we need it for.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Ref you're trailer ramp... it would be nice if one had the option for a larger, heavier mesh that would let more air through.

Depending on what you use it for, you could maybe remove it and use ramps for loading & unloading when needed. If the back of the trailer is no more than seven inches off the ground, rhino ramps might be an option. I've also had good luck with the folding aluminum ramps - they are very lightweight and compact, but only hold about 1500lbs.

Can you put some kind of quick-disconnect hinges on it? Or have a trailer dealer/builder do something like that? We have a couple trailer mfrs in our area, so if i ever go that route, I will see about having one custom-built... just don't have room to store one right now.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We have a B2320DT at work with the three-cylinder (Perkins?) diesel. It runs out of traction before it runs out of power. It is too light, but works for what we need it for.
That's a SUPER common problem with smaller tractors (actually, with most all wheel tractors and rubber-track track-layers) for quite a long time now. It's as though the manufacturers have forgotten how to make useful tractors. Maybe they fired or retired everyone who ever knew.
(-:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ref you're trailer ramp... it would be nice if one had the option for a larger, heavier mesh that would let more air through.

Depending on what you use it for, you could maybe remove it and use ramps for loading & unloading when needed. If the back of the trailer is no more than seven inches off the ground, rhino ramps might be an option. I've also had good luck with the folding aluminum ramps - they are very lightweight and compact, but only hold about 1500lbs.

Can you put some kind of quick-disconnect hinges on it? Or have a trailer dealer/builder do something like that? We have a couple trailer mfrs in our area, so if i ever go that route, I will see about having one custom-built... just don't have room to store one right now.
I looked a bit when I got it a few years ago but other tasks come up and I don’t think about it till I have to use it. My thought is to cut the ramp at the height of the side bars preserving the locking mechanism and then use a steel or aluminum ramp for loading wheeled vehicles. I was impressed that neither the ramp nor the mesh deformed under the weight of the 1700.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a SUPER common problem with smaller tractors (actually, with most all wheel tractors and rubber-track track-layers) for quite a long time now. It's as though the manufacturers have forgotten how to make useful tractors. Maybe they fired or retired everyone who ever knew.
(-:
My dealer kept wanting to push me smaller and I’m glad every time I run it that I stayed up at 32hp. We brought my brother in law’s JD over to help clear the build area and struggled with its low 20’s hp. Bought my B3200 used with 79hrs on it and never regretted not going with a newer unit

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
(-:
That's because they want you to buy the overpriced front weights, wheel weights and rock box, oh, and loader. :rolleyes: :unsure:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts