Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should one wait until they wax their new Ridgeline the first time? I know that there are various schools of thought...but can you wax a new car right off the lot or should you wait?

P.S. The running boards are going to come in handy for waxing the roof!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think this is one of those things like oil changes that no one will agree on. I did lots of surfing on the subject, and in the end decided to wait a month before doing anything.

I did try a product called Armorall Car Wash Wipes on the front-end of our RTL, which had gotten bugged-up from our evening celebration dinner ride. Did a nice job. Our truck hasn't experienced water yet...

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Here in Florida we get those ladybugs really bad at certain times during the year. I will have to try those ArmourAll wipes. They sound easy and quick to use.

As far as the first wax. I agree that if you ask 5 different people, you will get 5 different answers. I tend to wait a month or so. There is no science to this, it is an arbitrary decision on my part.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah I think the "science" would be in the likelihood that the paint of a brand-spanking-new vehicle ought to be given some time to cure.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
laserfan said:
Yeah I think the "science" would be in the likelihood that the paint of a brand-spanking-new vehicle ought to be given some time to cure.
I know in the old days you were supposed to wait a month or so. However, I'm sticking my head in the sand and hope technology has improved and their heat lamps will cure it faster. So then, I've already waxed mine 3 times. I like to give it a good healthy amount of layers before I burn out and only start waxing it once or twice a year :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 04 f-150 and frequent some of those forums and that question has come up before. A guy that worked in one of the ford plants said that when they paint the truck it will be 30 days before you would get the truck. so waxing shouldn't be a problem. I guess to know for sure you need to talk to somebody from one of the honda plants.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've always heard to wait 3 months. That was from a bodyshop guy that I trust. He said that it takes that long for all the layers to cure and waxing it would slow down the curing. No Ridge yet for me :( .

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
if you don't want to wax it with a buffer or hand waxing the car. You can use either the spray on wax like Eagle1 spray on wax. Wash car thoroughly and spray Eagle1 wax and dry with a microfiber towel, soft cotton towel, or a chomoise/syntetic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
zero said:
Here in Florida we get those ladybugs really bad at certain times during the year. I will have to try those ArmourAll wipes. They sound easy and quick to use.

As far as the first wax. I agree that if you ask 5 different people, you will get 5 different answers. I tend to wait a month or so. There is no science to this, it is an arbitrary decision on my part.

Zero, The best thing I have found for love bug removal is to take a soft cotton bath towel and saturate it (I mean sopping wet) with water. Run the towel over the lovebugs slowly and they come off pretty easy. I've tried bug and tar remover, cloths dryer sheets, etc, but a wet towel is the easiest way to get the lil SOB's off your truck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Called my dealer about waxing. He reccommended waiting 30 days before waxing. I have been dealing with a Hendricks Motors dealership, and they really seem to be on the ball.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks for the tip, bamaridge.

Another product I like that gets the bugs off is Dri-Wash N' Guard. I apply some to a microfiber towel and gently blot/rub until the little sucker comes off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What wax are you guys using? I'm looking to see what people use that is realtive easy to use and lasts. I can't go with the multi step waxes. Dont have that time. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Amen Zero about the Dry-Wash and Guard. I have a good friend that is a (sorry to say) Ford dealer and he sells Dry-Wash and guard on the side. I use it all the time on my cars and especially on my Harley. Nothing sticks to it and it is so easy to apply. Unlike other wax products, if you overspray dry-Wash and guard onto moldings it does not turn white and look terrible for the following two years. Also, if you do not get all of the product out of the cracks and seams, it does not leave the white crap behind. It works great on eyeglasses, windows, mirrors, plastic, and anything with clear coat on it like steel painted wheels. Not good for tires though. Keep it off of the windshield.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The best answer I ever got to this question is from the Saleman at Nissan. He told me they use a special paint that you never need to wax and waxing it will hurt this sealer. Paint is paint and it needs to be maintained.

As far as new cars you can wax them immediately. Parts have been painted long before you picked up, special process they use and don't forget if they can put on the plastic covers to transport then you can wax. Those stop the paint from breathing.

Now if you get it repainted for any reason give it a at least 30 days. Local paint shops don't have the controls like a manufactor. When's the last time you saw a paint shop booth that cost in the millions to build locally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I waxed mine last Saturday. Purchased 4/15. The big thing for me was not to use a cleaner/wax. I used wax only. The paint on my RL is immaculate. I used Maguires, liquid gold or glass. (Not sure of correct spelling) It was easey to apply and remove. I also used the finest cloth possible to remove the wax. I also get bugs on mirriors and front of truck. They wash off easier when surface has been waxed. RRPRTS

L

·
0 Posts
I'll bet that red shines!!!! Would love to see a picture of it after you wax it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
While waiiting for the dealer to process whatever, I read in the accessories brochure that you don't need to wash your Ridgeline, just rinse it once in awhile.

So that is what I did after 2 weeks, and it worked better than I expected. I had some bird droppings, a 1000 miles worth of dead bugs, and a bit of mud that all rinsed off except for some of the more stubborn bugs. I dried it with a chamois, and it looked great.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I did my first wax yesterday. I used Mother's Carnuba wax. seemed to work well but a lot of work. I did notice fine lines in the black paint or clear coat when I looked in the sun. Is that normal for black that you can see that? I could see why with black being so reflective.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the joy of black paint...so beautiful, yet so fracking hard to keep pristine. Soon Grasshopper, you will be learning about products such as 3M's Perfect-It Swirl Remover and will be shopping for orbital buffers. There are two great days in a black painted car owner's life. The day they pick the vehicle up from the dealer and...the day they sell it. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My neighbor as been in the body shop business for over 30 years. He recommends not using wax because it attracts durt and dust.
His recommendation is to us a glaze which can be purchased at your local body shop supply store. Got mine but haven't used it yet. To much rain...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts