Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impressions on the first week of ownership (a grand total of 78 miles on the odo):

• We had our first significant rain here on the Wasatch Front in, oh, the last several decades, and no leaks in the cab. My VIN is over 53000. Good news, 'cause I was a bit concerned about having a koi pond in my new $30,000 truck.

• We also got a couple of feet of snow up the canyons at Alta and Snowbird. I may have to meander up there after work and test the RL's prowess in the champagne powder, and its ability to get me up the canyons on epic powder days.

• This thing feels like it's carved out of a single block of steel (similar to our Civic Si). So rigid. In comparison, the other trucks feel as if their ladder frames are built with taffy.

• The automatic door unlock is annoying. But I'm sure that's been talked about to death. I actually got out of my car, and walked away from the car several yards before I realized my kids were still locked in the car.

• I also dislike the climate control, but in general I dislike automatic climate controls. I'd prefer a dial for temperature, and a dial for fan speed, and a dial for the mode. I'm a luddite that way.

• I'm still discovering all the little cubbies and storage bins in the cab.

• The back seat is already a mess, between the kids and the dog. Cheerios, dog hair, slobber marks, hard candy stuck between the cushions, and playdough on the seat belts. Don't ask me about the playdough, I have no idea how that got in there.

• I haven't bought any accessories yet (I think dealer installed options are way overpriced), but I'm looking at backup sensors and a rack. I think I'm going with Thule or Yakima for racks, and maybe rig a bed-mounted bike carrier, but does anyone have opinions on Honda backup sensors versus aftermarket?

• Has anyone tested the beer holding capacity of the trunk yet? Can it fit a 1/4 keg? I can't legally test that here in Utah, since kegs are illegal for personal purchase (remember, I live in Utah, home of the goofiest liquor laws). Gotta drive to Wyoming to do that, and hope there are no Utah cops around.

• As for driving the RL around town, it feels like I'm driving a large Accord, nothing exciting; but that's a very good thing for a truck. But that's why we have the Civic Si. Now THAT'S a fun car to drive, although I wish it had a few more horses. Maybe a turbo and new headers??

• I think the truck will be a great roadtrip vehicle for the family. I will test that when we go to Moab for a few days later this month.

• As far as I can tell, it looks like I'm the only one with a Ridgeline here in Salt Lake City. I have yet to see another one here. It may be due to the macho truck image here in the Intermountain West: any truck smaller than a full size F350 turbo diesel dualie is for girly men. Real men drive trucks that pull 11,000 lbs and carry two tons of steel girders, even if all they ever really carry is 2 bags of potting soil and three flats of tomato plants. But really, don't you want a truck that COULD do those things, even if it never will?

Sorry for the rambling. In summary, I have no regrets over getting the truck. I think it will be the perfect truck for our family, and it will serve us well.

L

·
0 Posts
Great review!! I love the kids corner of comments.
The Ridgeline performs to it's highest excellence in the snow.
I couldn't get stuck last March even when I tried. And I never used the VTM-Lock.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
:p

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of RL ownership.

I also dislike the climate control, but in general I dislike automatic climate controls. I'd prefer a dial for temperature, and a dial for fan speed, and a dial for the mode. I'm a luddite that way.
Just turn AUTO off and you have all of that at your fingertips.

·
Registered
333 Posts
hankim said:
  • As far as I can tell, it looks like I'm the only one with a Ridgeline here in Salt Lake City. I have yet to see another one here. It may be due to the macho truck image here in the Intermountain West: any truck smaller than a full size F350 turbo diesel dualie is for girly men.
Congrats on the purchase! I'm a newbie too, about 2 weeks and closing in on 1000 mi. Check out this thread, looks like at least a couple of your neighbors are registered here.
zipcode thread....

Not a real truck, huh? :p Thankfully so! I grew up farming and had my fill of bouncing around the fields in REAL trucks. Don't need that anymore; this RL is lookin' like exactly what I need for my lifestyle now!

(Most of those 'real' trucks go home to a paved driveway in suburbia, right?)

Hey, cool.. :cool: I made a link! Now howda you guys make those long signature lines?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Welcome to the club, you may want to check the unlock threads because it seems your vehicle perhaps should be able to support all unlock if you follow the instructions for that specific feature.

·
Registered
459 Posts
watch the kids and thier backpacks. My daughter put a scratch on my rear door just 14 hours after picking it up at the dealer. She slung her backpack and the zipper put a 5 inch scratch on the door. Only a fathers love could over look this. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Glad you chose the Ridgeline over the Taco! Actually both are very well built trucks. Welcome to the club. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts