Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of monting a rod holder to the inside of the bed below the back window. I do a lot of offshore fishing and need something sturdy for heavy rods. Do you think I could drill right in to the bed?? I hate to do it though. I was thinking maybe one of those pressure bars with a rod holder as a removable mount...any ideas??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybearidge,

Can't you use the rear liner bolts to hold it :confused: Look at the Tonneau cover install instructions, it may give you some ideas. That would mount it high on the back wall below the window, but you mention drilling bed, if you mean the floor of the bed, then again, I would look at useing the existing bolts. The way I would look at is if I modify the rod holder, and mess it up I am out X dollars, if I modify the bed, and it goes wrong, who knows. Another thing to think about is if you do mess up a bed panel, can you get a new one... I would check on that first.

maybearidge said:
I was thinking of monting a rod holder to the inside of the bed below the back window. I do a lot of offshore fishing and need something sturdy for heavy rods. Do you think I could drill right in to the bed?? I hate to do it though. I was thinking maybe one of those pressure bars with a rod holder as a removable mount...any ideas??

·
Registered
130 Posts
maybearidge said:
How did you ever make out with your rod holder? I go to the Outter Banks & do some surf fishing there. It would be nice to have a way to transport the rods to & from the beach.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
fatboy said:
How did you ever make out with your rod holder? I go to the Outter Banks & do some surf fishing there. It would be nice to have a way to transport the rods to & from the beach.
Maybe if you PM'd webwader, he might post a picture of his rack. When I went to Cape Cod, I saw a lot of vehicles with their's mounted in front.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
How long are your rods, fatboy? I have a setup for my freshwater rods, but none of them are over seven feet long, so they don't overhang the tailgate much when it is down. If you are interested, I will post a picture.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry, I just PM'd you webwader. For surf fishing we're using poles that are 10' long. I'd love to see some pics if you have some.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys-

I have not done too much fishing this year due to our bad weather. What I made I used once and did not have a camera to take a picture installed. I got a 6 pole rack from Cabellas and hug it from a pressure bar. I had to make a few mods to get it to hang straight. I also bungee the bottom to the tiedowns to keep it from moving. Some day I'll take a picture of it...hopefully soon I'll be using it

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Here is the setup I have. I use an eight rod Cabela's rack (it's usually full) and the rest of it is just a drop-in piece made from a 2x2 with a couple of 2x4 spacers to move it as far back as possible. I then screwed two of the attachment posts to the 2x2 to attach the rack to. Easy in, easy out.
This probably wouldn't work as well with 10' rods due to the overhang. For those I would probably look at making something that would hang over the tailgate in the closed position and tilt the rack up. Any overhang on the outside would have to lined so as not to scratch the paint, but it wouldn't be too difficult. Another option would be adapting a pressure bar that would sit just in front of the tailgate. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Sorry for the overexposed photo. Took it in automatic mode and bright sunlight on a black background fooled it.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife and I are both fencers - we were (half) joking we should get a rear-window gunrack and put some foils in it. Has anyone seen those for the ridgeline yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do a lot of beach running/surf fishing along Montauk Point N.Y.Purchased a front mount rack from The Surfcaster.com It mounts behind the license plate
and comes in a two or four rod configuration.You have to remove the plate and drill into the steel beam behind the bumper.Works well but I also plan to beef it up by fabricating another bracket and attaching it to a bolt behind the grille and securing it to the rack. Check out the above site for the rack and the license plate bracket, sold seperately.Carry 10' to12' surfsticks,no problem.Tight lines and good fishing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Webwader,
Thanks for the picture of your rack. I am looking at rigging up something similar on top of my tonneau cover for short jaunts between holes on the river. I will have some overhang with 9' flyrods, but since it will be above the closed tailgate, it shouldn't be a problem. I will post pictures of my solution as soon as I can breathe life into the monster.:eek:

I have considered the vacuum or magnetic rod holders that attach to the hood and roof for short runs, but I really don't like the idea of the fishing rods being on the front of the vehicle enduring the wind forces and all of the road crap that "happens". I would prefer to protect them with the truck. One advantage of them is that you are not limited by rod length. That should intrigue you surfcasters with 10' and 12' rods.
Check out the link below for a picture. This one is also the best option becasuse it incorporates BOTH vacuum and mangnetic approaches in one unit. The other brands force you to choose one or the other.
http://www.sportube.com/pages/vac_rac.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts