Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never had this issue before until this winter. Im not going to fast, no warning lights come on, and my tire tread is adequate. However ive noticed when making turns (in snowy weather) my truck seems to almost always fishtail no matter what I do the back end loves to slide out. Anyone know what would cause this issue? Im quite confident its not due to driver error, I even fishtailed today when coming into my driveway. Thanks!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ive never had this issue before until this winter. Im not going to fast, no warning lights come on, and my tire tread is adequate. However ive noticed when making turns (in snowy weather) my truck seems to almost always fishtail no matter what I do the back end loves to slide out. Anyone know what would cause this issue? Im quite confident its not due to driver error, I even fishtailed today when coming into my driveway. Thanks!
Have you replaced the VTM4 fluid in your rear differential?

If you haven't, or don't know the history of the vehicle, the clutches may not be working.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mine does it slightly as did my 2010 RL which I like. Unless yours does it really badly, it may be somewhat normal.

J

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You don't have your VTM-4 lock button 'on' do you??? (press it once when in 1st gear at a stop... just to make sure the light is not burned out).

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Pretty sure the vtm resets to off when shut off.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
What is on the road surface? Is it snow, ice, slush, gravel, sand or some combination? In my area this winter, it seems like the snow is preceded by rain and it makes a slick mess on the road.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its pretty much been snow that turns into slush. For instance I drove around the block in about 6-7 inches of fluffy snow earlier this week so the plow guy could clear my driveway and im pretty sure I fishtailed each corner. Then pulling out of the parking lot of home depot and walmart (plowed compact snow) I fishtailed there as well. I havent rotated the tires in probably about 6 months, wonder if that would do anything.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It sounds like you have a problem with the vtm and are just staying in fwd mode.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Two things can happen with VTM-4 in a turn under power on a slippery surface:

1. If the VTM-4 system guesses on the high side as to how much torque is appropriate to send to the rear wheels under acceleration, you can get some understeer or fishtailing in the same manner as a conventional part-time 4WD system.

2. Due to the fact that there is no conventional left-right differential in the rear drive unit, the rear tire on the inside of the turn might rotate too quickly. If it's not counteracted by the stability control, you can get understeer or fishtailing.

However, these effects on the Ridgeline are usually LESS severe and briefer than in more conventional 4WD systems, as I have experienced them. The only time that VSA hasn't corrected them within less than a second, it's because I had let off the accelerator and managed to break traction on all four wheels or just was adrift enough that there was no power to redistribute. Even so, this was very brief. Either taking it slower (like in a conventional 4WD) or faster (letting VSA brake one side of the truck and allowing power to the other side) is the solution, IF your vehicle doesn't have a mechanical fault.

I recommend finding a slippery corner and experimenting (when there is no traffic) with different levels of engine power, and not balking on the pedal.

If it continues to badly fishtail regardless of power application, take it in for service. You might have a bad wheel speed sensor, or a faulty tire, or suspension.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
On a very slippery wet road or snow or sleet and VSA on I can make my Ridgeline fishtail or "drift" intentionally by steering sharply and using liberal amounts of throttle. However, it takes deliberate action on my part. With VSA off under similar conditions, it'll spin out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the 5-7 inches we got so far in CT I decided to test it in my driveway, I had trouble even getting out. I could feel and hear the back wheels just spinning. Ugh, pretty sure the all wheel drive system just isint working. Tire pressue is 31 for all except back passenger side which is 28.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If your back wheels are spinning, it sounds like AWD actually DOES work. Do your front wheels also drive? What make/model tire do you have?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yeah my fronts are gripping, When I do turn my fronts when stopped (left to right) I do feel an intense vibration from them through the steering wheel. Dont know if thats anything however. They are general grabbers HTS, Ive had my TPMS light on for sometime (the actual TPMS, not the low tire symbol) but would that have any effect? I check the pressure manually so I never really considered getting it fixed.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
There is definitely a connection between TPMS system & VSA... (something happens automatically with non-op TPMS), but I can't remember just what it is. Others comment???

BTW... any other dash lights on??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts