Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my tail light lenses do not seem to fit the same way on both sides. Left tail light lens hangs past the body panel in back significantly more than right side, which seems to fit fine. Anyone else notice this misfit? I am going to try and loosen the lense holding screws and refit the left lens, but it still should not have passed muster off the assembly line like this.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My rear lenses look fine. No mis-alignment here.:D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to put a picture out this weekend, anyone out there able to give a quick tutorial on posting digital images on reply?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
BillB said:
I need to put a picture out this weekend, anyone out there able to give a quick tutorial on posting digital images on reply?
1. Take picture.
2. Transfer to PC, to My Picture Folder.
3. Open that picture with Paint or other software that can resize the picture.
4. Resize the picture to 640 x 480 and save with a different name (or add digit 2).
5. Go back to the thread you want to post your picture to.
6. Push the button for either "Reply" or "Quote"
7. When you are finished typing your comments, scroll down to the next block that is titled Manage Attachments. Click on that. Follow the instructions on screen. You can upload three files at one time. Make sure you go back up to the previous block and click on Submit.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I noticed the same thing ironically today--I showed my close friend that works for American Honda and he thought it could be adjustered. So I unscrewed the two retaining bolts and pulled it off--To my dismay, it is not adjustable--it is, as they say, the way it is--the top portion is in too much and the botton extends a bit to the right, beyond the bumper corner below it--

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LawyerBoy, I did the adjustment and it fixed the problem about 90%, but it will never be fixed perfectly as I think it is a design flaw or just sloppy assembly line work. Here is how you "fix" it almost. Unbolt the tail light. You will see 2 pointy tabs on the inside of the tail light that push into the side body into permanent receptor holes inside the taillight housing. Our problem is that these receptor holes are not in the right spots to align the taillight properly (I assume those whose lights fit have the bottom hole a bit more to the left so the bottom of tail light actually aligns when bolted back). Next, put the tail light in place so it is almost aligned with the body the way it should be (you cannot push the tabs in all the way, just push the top one in and the bottom one almost all the way in. Keep the bolt for the top of the tail light in your right hand and push the bottom of the tail light lens into an almost alignment position (you need to force some pressure on the lens, but do not push too hard or you could crack the tab or lens if you go crazy). Screw in the top bolt hand tight while applying correcting pressure on bottom of lens and then finish off tight on top bolt with the rachet. The bottom bolt can now be put in and the lens will be better aligned. It took me a couple of tries to determine how much I could manipulate the lens placement and how to tighten the bolts to achieve a better fit. You need to feel the right lens to see how much plastic is raised above the body panel to get them close. The entire project took me about a half hour messing around. I may try putting a shim under the bottom bolt to force the lens even a bit more to the left and maybe this will actually look almost right. Either way, it is better than before, but I am completely dissatisfied with the quality of this design element and feel cheated.:(

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tex's for attachment tip. I will take pictures if anyone else is interested in the problem. I know at least one other member sees what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Yes, I'd like to see the photos.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
BillB said:
BillB - supplement to Tex's response . . . see below for options on tool to use. Some of us (me for instance) need the whole walk thru - if you don't then please ignore. The below is from a previous post from Tux that helped me out (if you want to read more, search on "upload size" to find previous thread). This turned something I didn't understand into a real breeze:

From Tux:
For anyone who uses XP and would like a quick and easy way to resize images, you can download and install the XP PowerToy Image Resizer. After install, find your file, right click and select 'Resize Pictures'. Either select a generic S/M/L size or click advanced for custom sizes.

I'd try selecting small and then trying to repost to the site.

Direct Download link
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

Parent page
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

·
Banned
44 Posts
This stuff happens when Honda brings there design team to the US. Give them a few years and you can start comparing them to a Chevy. I like my Hondas don’t get me wrong but over the last few years things have been going down hill. You can only survive on your reputation for so long

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's more of an engineering team issue than a design team issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A totally new model takes a while for all the bugs to be worked out. Its not just new for Honda, but there supplier as well. I work for one of their suppliers, and i used to work for a injection molding service company, and been to many of there other suppliers as well. Honda is in these plants all the time enforcing there quality control. Its insane on the parts they fail. For example, the one supplier I've been to makes the symbols and other chrome garnishes for Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus and Ford. They scrap 3x more honda parts then Toyota, and 5x more then Ford. And there are only symbols, and tailgate garnishes. When you buy a honda that is where the extra money goes, in to quality control.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Our rear taillight lenses look perfect. Can't see any mis-alignment on either side.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Still waiting for the pics to see exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
But you knew that when you bought it, right?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry about pictures delay. I promise to get them in this weekend coming up. I knew coming into this vehicle that there could be bugs and from reading the forum before purchasing my eyes were wide open for the big ticket items some early members were reporting. After a couple of months of those items not appearing in my RTS, I guess the fine details of fit and finish started catching my eyes and unfortunately, and obviously, this truck is not finely tuned when it comes to final assembly. I'll take the good (handling, reliability and enhanced passenger safety) :) and the bad (finish details and some wacky engineering ideas in the heating system):( , what choice do I have anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Bill B.--I will try and adjust it best I can. I was disappointed too and showed my buddy who works for American Honda. I will suck it up as long as I have no water intrusion issues like others in the club

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It took awhile to get to the picture taking and I hope they come out OK, so here goes. First couple of pictures are the left tail light lens which is quite a bit off where it meets the body next to tail gate. The 3rd picture is the right lens, which fits fine. When I go in for first oil change, I will see if they can make it fit any better.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
My taillights look a bit like your left one, but on both sides. Since they match it doesn't bother me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts