Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had unscrewed the shifter knob to clean and this broke the wires to the D3 switch at the end.

After inspection it seems the wires to the switch are not "pre-wound" so as to withstand unscrewing.

The whole assembly is not really designed to be disassembled.

I just fixed mine. Here is what I did:

<<< Do not remove D3 switch cap nor the silver trim >>>

1. Buy replacement knob. It is not expensive and comes with wires.

2. Use long thin small flat screw driver to push tab holding switch in the knob. Access is through the hole in the bottom where the wires come out.

3. Once the switch and D3 cap are pushed out, pull back the black tubing and cut the two white wires ~ 3" from the switch.

4. Disconnect the wires and connectors from the switch by lifting the retaining tabs with a small flat jewelers screw driver then pulling the steel connector out with a dental tool or similar.

5. Place 1/2" of small heat shrink on the wires and push up to the connectors.

6. Strip the wire ends ~ 1/8" and also the strip the two wires coming out of the shifter rod (old knob is removed).

7. Solder the wires together and slide the heat shrink over them.

8. twist the wires together in the direction of unscrewing.

9. install the new knob w/out the switch.

10. gently pull the connectorized wires out ~ 1" from the knob and connect these to the switch with the D3 knob. << DO NOT install the switch in the knob yet>>>

11. Take the truck for a drive and press the dangling D3 button to make sure it works: A yellow "D3" should appear beside the "D" in the gauge cluster.

12. Look in the end of the shifter knob and note the slot that is keyed to the switch. Look at the switch to see how it mates. Now turn the knob so that the keyed slot lines up to where you want it. i.e. the D3 text on the button end should be somewhat vertical and not upside down.

13. Carefully seat the switch and enjoy.

I have extra knob and switch with wires if anyone need it. PM me.

Shift Knob ~ $20 here: Honda Automotive Parts

Dark Grey Knob: 54130-SJC-A82ZB
Light Grey Knob: 54130-SJC-A82ZA

Less expensive fix using original knob:

0. Push switch assembly out of knob. (See step 2 above)
1. Obtain two pieces of 24 gauge non-stranded hookup wire ~ 3" long.
2. Remove connectors from old switch (See step 4 above)
3. Connect connectors to the 3" wires. (You may be able to re-crimp or solder)
4. Follow steps 5 to 13 above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had unscrewed the shifter knob to clean and this broke the wires to the D3 switch at the end.

After inspection it seems the wires to the switch are not "pre-wound" so as to withstand unscrewing.

The whole assembly is not really designed to be disassembled.

I just fixed mine. Here is what I did:

<<< Do not remove D3 switch cap nor the silver trim >>>

1. Buy replacement knob. It is not expensive and comes with wires.

2. Use long thin small flat screw driver to push tab holding switch in the knob. Access is through the hole in the bottom where the wires come out.

3. Once the switch and D3 cap are pushed out, pull back the black tubing and cut the two white wires ~ 3" from the switch.

4. Disconnect the wires and connectors from the switch by lifting the retaining tabs with a small flat jewelers screw driver then pulling the steel connector out with a dental tool or similar.

5. Place 1/2" of small heat shrink on the wires and push up to the connectors.

6. Strip the wire ends ~ 1/8" and also the strip the two wires coming out of the shifter rod (old knob is removed).

7. Solder the wires together and slide the heat shrink over them.

8. twist the wires together in the direction of unscrewing.

9. install the new knob w/out the switch.

10. gently pull the connectorized wires out ~ 1" from the knob and connect these to the switch with the D3 knob. << DO NOT install the switch in the knob yet>>>

11. Take the truck for a drive and press the dangling D3 button to make sure it works: A yellow "D3" should appear beside the "D" in the gauge cluster.

12. Look in the end of the shifter knob and note the slot that is keyed to the switch. Look at the switch to see how it mates. Now turn the knob so that the keyed slot lines up to where you want it. i.e. the D3 text on the button end should be somewhat vertical and not upside down.

13. Carefully seat the switch and enjoy.

I have extra knob and switch with wires if anyone need it. PM me.

Shift Knob ~ $20 here: Honda Automotive Parts

Dark Grey Knob: 54130-SJC-A82ZB
Light Grey Knob: 54130-SJC-A82ZA

Less expensive fix using original knob:

0. Push switch assembly out of knob. (See step 2 above)
1. Obtain two pieces of 24 gauge non-stranded hookup wire ~ 3" long.
2. Remove connectors from old switch (See step 4 above)
3. Connect connectors to the 3" wires. (You may be able to re-crimp or solder)
4. Follow steps 5 to 13 above.
Thank you so much for posting these directions. Just puchased an 08 and the silver piece on the end of the knob was cracked. Unscrewed to see if I could replace and broke the wires inside. Purchased a new knob and followed your directions. All good now! Thanks a million !:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts