Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this pretty loud creak/squeek from the rear roof area everytime I turned and had some sort of bump or incline in the turn such as pulling out or into my driveway or pulling off a road into a parking lot, probably anytime the body was flexed a little.

Tried to hunt it down for weeks pushing and pulling everything I could inside. Finally by accident, while cleaning the rear window on the outside, my hand hit the plastic trim around the rear window and that was it, the trim rubbing against the rubber underneith. A quick spray of silicone directed under the trim fixed it all up.

Now I'm down to just one more creak to solve, my arm rest creaks continuously anytime I rest my arm on it.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Great detective work, vertrkr.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
vertrkr said:
Now I'm down to just one more creak to solve, my arm rest creaks continuously anytime I rest my arm on it.
Lucky find on the rear window. Are you talking about the console armrest in the middle creaking? Ours does if pressure is put on it, but not just from puttin an arm on it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truckin' said:
Lucky find on the rear window. Are you talking about the console armrest in the middle creaking? Ours does if pressure is put on it, but not just from puttin an arm on it.
Ya, center console armrest. Opposite problem for me, pressure stops the squeek but normal arm resting sounds like hungry mice in there. I've tried to shim a few places but no luck so far, think I might try cheese next.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
vertrkr said:
Ya, center console armrest. Opposite problem for me, pressure stops the squeek but normal arm resting sounds like hungry mice in there. I've tried to shim a few places but no luck so far, think I might try cheese next.
When I get in the driver seat, I lean on the center armrest for support while I adjust my butt into the seat. When ever I do this, I hear a loud crack like plastic breaking. But everything works fine after. One of this days I'm going to take it apart to see what's going on.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
When I get in the driver seat, I lean on the center armrest for support while I adjust my butt into the seat. When ever I do this, I hear a loud crack like plastic breaking. But everything works fine after. One of this days I'm going to take it apart to see what's going on.
I do this exact same thing in our Civic and hear probably the exact same cracking noise. I have done it for over two years now and it hasn't broken yet (knock on wood, or maybe plastic). I have wondered what I am damaging or what is designed to repeatedly sound like it is breaking. Maybe when I reach the 5 year mark and the car is paid off, I will be willing to mess with the console and see what is going on, or maybe it will break before then.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Hubby gets in the same way and it sounds dreadful. He's getting better at sliding it BACK before he puts all his weight on it. I hope he doesn't break it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after a month my little quick and dirty silcon spray wore off and the creak sound is back. For those who followed my trials and tribulations from the start know my dealings trying to get an AM radio crackle fixed. The dealer replaced every single radio related part, one of which was the antenna on the rear roof. Reading my service manual I found the clips and grommets for that roof trim piece are a one time use. I know my tech did not replace those, now thinking about it as they would not have them on hand and would have to order them which would have taken a few days, they turned it around to me in 1 day. So then, I ordered the grommets and clips and replaced them myself recently. I also applied a little silcon gel 'silglide' on any part that made contact with another. Been almost a month now and after repeated washings and rain storms I think this is the final fix, all is silent now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts