Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacing the pushrod clips on BakFlip G2 (photos)

I was thinking today that this truck invites you to do things to it in a way that a family sedan just does not. :rolleyes:

The second thing I did was add a BakFlip G2 to cover my rear. (First was the iPod interface. I'm sure there's more coming.) Having read just about every experience thread here, I'd say my experience so far is much more positive. The BakFlip was packaged in custom foam, all parts were included, and it was the easy 30-minute one-person install that Bak promises. Everything lined up well, and the bed seems nice and dry.

But…there is one thing. The pushrods that hold the cover up in its full-open position rest in a plastic clip screwed to the side-rails. Bak chose a clip made of a material I consider inappropriate: a flexible, shiny plastic that keeps its shape but bends easily under load. The result is that one or the other of the pushrods slips out of its clip and lands on the floor.

What makes that a problem rather than a sloppy build is that the rods are affixed at a point that allows their ends to rest on the trunk lid. The rod is covered with a rubber tip, so this prevents one from opening the trunk. (I've been hauling dry concrete this past week, so the bed is not as clean as I'd like. Who says this truck is for wusses?!)

I thought it would be easy to find clips made of a stiffer material (such as nylon), but what I did find was even better. The clip I found in the "hard to find parts" drawer is called a "loom clamp," and it's made of steel with a rubber liner. They cost $0.68 each.

The hole looked like it might be a little larger than the one on the original part, so I also picked up a pack of 4 neoprene rubber washers. The pack cost $0.83.

Installation was a matter of unscrewing the self-tapping Phillips head screw, "sandwiching" the washers on the clamp, and screwing into place. I used a needle-nose pliers to bend the front nose of the clamp forward and down.

Here is the result:

The new clamp in place. The steel-and-black finish goes nicely with my RL's bed interior.

The pushrod parked in place.

An "end-on" view. The steel clip can be adjusted by hand. The bottom of the rubber washer actually catches the pushrod just a bit, but I consider that a bonus as it's less likely to come out accidentally—and still comes out on purpose without a problem.

Hope this helps spur some thought for another G2 owner. Be assured the whole repair took less than 10 minutes.

Some day soon I'll zoom out and post pictures of the rest of the truck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree and I like your fix although I think I would take it one step further and clip the end off rather than folding it back and down. Probably a bit of black RTV to finish off the end to eliminate sharp objects may be a nice touch as well.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree and I like your fix although I think I would take it one step further and clip the end off rather than folding it back and down. Probably a bit of black RTV to finish off the end to eliminate sharp objects may be a nice touch as well.
I like that idea! Do you mind expanding "RTV" for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weird. I've never had a problem with my rods falling out of the clips. When I installed the clips, they looked kinda flimsy to me, but no problems. I like your mod, though. If my clips ever break, I know where to look for the new part numbers! Nice job!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the email Duckogram—thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weird. I've never had a problem with my rods falling out of the clips. When I installed the clips, they looked kinda flimsy to me, but no problems. I like your mod, though. If my clips ever break, I know where to look for the new part numbers! Nice job!
Mine were falling out pretty much every time I moved the RL. I really think they're molded from an inappropriate plastic. But I doubt the original clips will break. They have too much "give" in them so they'll just bend, even straightening out if that's what is required for them to survive.

Thanks for the kudos!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice job on the clips. I have the same top, ordered a little over a year ago. The "clips" that came with mine were really just some plastic cable clamps, similar but not identical to what your "original equipment" clamps look like in your photo's. I really like my bakflip but the clamps are a pretty poor execution on what is otherwise an excellent product. Maybe somebody at bakflip will take notice.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job on the clips. I have the same top, ordered a little over a year ago. The "clips" that came with mine were really just some plastic cable clamps, similar but not identical to what your "original equipment" clamps look like in your photo's. I really like my bakflip but the clamps are a pretty poor execution on what is otherwise an excellent product. Maybe somebody at bakflip will take notice.
I'm thinking I'll give them a call and tell them. My earlier experience on the install (where I had a question about extra screws) was that a real person answered the phone and knew the product. It's worth burning a few "rollover" minutes for that!

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice job! I'm going to do it. My support rods are always down and a pain. I suspect Honda installed the "soft" clips because of potential damage when loads are slid along the rails. Everyone should be aware and careful about this.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job! I'm going to do it. My support rods are always down and a pain. I suspect Honda installed the "soft" clips because of potential damage when loads are slid along the rails. Everyone should be aware and careful about this.
Thanks, Jeff! (Should note that the clips that came with my BakFlip were not OEM, but rather supplied with the Bak product.)

Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts