Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about a Flashing D light. What is it? mentions possible Tranny problems. Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
156 Posts
For the most part your fine but google search it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This is a well documented (common) problem. Basically your tranny needs
A: a new pressure switch (cheap/easy to DIY).
B: Alternatively, some have claimed their tranny fluid was low and that resolved the problem.

Google it some more.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Could just be a piece of trash in the pressure switch. I had that once on my Pilot. I shut down and restarted and haven't seen it since.

But if it persists, you likely need to change one of the P switches.

As you can see, there may be a number of reasons for a flashing D light:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
JR,

We are assuming all maintenance(Transmission Fluid Changes) have been completed and there are no signs of SMOD with your transmission. SMOD Links

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had flashing D light while driving and then vehicle would not drive and felt like it was in neutral even though it was still in drive also had a smell tranny fluid; had to have towed to my mechanic; any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
If you don't see any fluid leaking on the floor, and the level is normal, the fluid may be contaminated with coolant from a failed heat exchanger in the radiator.

Low or contaminated fluid are the most common reasons it will overheat.
Otherwise, something failed internally in the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
7,376 Posts
Had flashing D light while driving and then vehicle would not drive and felt like it was in neutral even though it was still in drive also had a smell tranny fluid; had to have towed to my mechanic; any thoughts?
I've read some threads on issues with the Torque Converter issues, and I agree with Rollin.
If you don't see any fluid leaking on the floor, and the level is normal, the fluid may be contaminated with coolant from a failed heat exchanger in the radiator.

Low or contaminated fluid are the most common reasons it will overheat.
Otherwise, something failed internally in the transmission.
Also read the SMOD issues which I referenced above.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for help. Added some tranny fluid light still on. Sending it to mechanic. While there having radiator done, Flush tranny, and Spark plugs. Any other recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
7,376 Posts
Thanks for help. Added some tranny fluid light still on. Sending it to mechanic. While there having radiator done, Flush tranny, and Spark plugs. Any other recommendations?
I'd have the mechanic check the system with a "Code Reader". There are some threads where the A/F Sensors (Upper O2 Sensors) have failed and caused catalytic converter failure, but there are some very specific codes when this happens.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
The Owners Manual is not much help defining the issue either:

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,069 Posts
You are never supposed to power flush a Honda transmission. Drain and fills only. Or, you can use the truck's internal pump to pump out old fluid and suck in new fluid.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You are never supposed to power flush a Honda transmission. Drain and fills only. Or, you can use the truck's internal pump to pump out old fluid and suck in new fluid.
I had my transmission fluid changed while on a road trip in Ohio. It was done at an actual Honda Dealership. They were recommending a Flush. I told them no because...my regular "Honda guy" told me not to ever do that.

Thanks for confirming this info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah misspoke meant drain tranny. But added a little tranny fluid due to it being low and the light stopped blinking. it would do it intermittingly for a day or so but now doesn't seem to blink anymore. will still have mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,069 Posts
yeah misspoke meant drain tranny. But added a little tranny fluid due to it being low and the light stopped blinking. it would do it intermittingly for a day or so but now doesn't seem to blink anymore. will still have mechanic check it out.
Glad it all worked out. Whatever was gumming up one of those pressure solenoids must have been cleaned out by the new fluid. These trucks can be a bit persnickety sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts