Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTS and the odometer screen has started flashing while driving and fading in and out. Has anyone experienced this?

Maybee just a loose wire?...

Thanks!

-Tim.

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
Search for "flashing odometer" in the Google Custom Search box at the top of this page. You'll find page after page of information on this issue.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I vaguely recall someone else having this problem. You might try unplugging/re-plugging the gauge cluster in case it was a loose connection. But I seem to recall the solution was to replace the cluster since the display inside it was the culprit.

If you do this, go through your dealer. The cluster is what stores the odometer value and you will need a certificate of altered mileage reading from the state, since the new cluster will start at 0 miles (unless the dealer is somehow able to transfer the mileage over to a replacement -- which I'm doubtful as that would open up a lot of potential fraud by unscrupulous car lots)

Chip H.

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
If you do this, go through your dealer. The cluster is what stores the odometer value and you will need a certificate of altered mileage reading from the state, since the new cluster will start at 0 miles (unless the dealer is somehow able to transfer the mileage over to a replacement -- which I'm doubtful as that would open up a lot of potential fraud by unscrupulous car lots)

Chip H.
Most vehicles store odometer data in both the PCM and instrument cluster. For the Ridgeline (and Hondas in general), the HDS is used to write odometer (and Maintenance Minder) data to a replacement cluster.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I vaguely recall someone else having this problem. You might try unplugging/re-plugging the gauge cluster in case it was a loose connection. But I seem to recall the solution was to replace the cluster since the display inside it was the culprit.

Chip H.
I had a cluster replaced on a Honda Element that we had several years ago and the mileage was reset on the new cluster. The service department wrote down the mileage and the new cluster started at that mileage. They had to send it to California (I think) to get it done, but that is what they did in 2005. There must be some way of keeping folks legal for this procedure, but I am not sure what it is.
Rob

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere explaining what to do, I just did it a couple months ago. It involves re soldering the circuit board, havent had an issue since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts