Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought westin/wade platinum series bug shield the other day and decided to modify it a bit before installing it. I sanded it down with 320 grit, then painted it with flat black exterior paint.

Then I installed small bolts/nuts every 8" across the top to give it a more custom look. I have never seen this done before and I figured it was a $60 experiment. I haven't seen it in daylight yet, but I have to say I am happy with the result. I feel like I need to paint the grillecraft flat to match it now - and the bull bar when I get around to picking one out.

I really like it, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Looks sharp. Watch it over time, my first bug shield was a Westin and after time it started to bow in middle. Wouldn't want those screws to start touching paint.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That looks awesome!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Me Gusta!! nice!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I like it too. Give us a report on future rock chips!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks sweet. If you wanted something other than flat, you can order the clear shield, get color matched Dupli-color paint from Advance or Autozone, or paint the backside of the shield. Quite a few others have done this and it makes a perfect match, doesn't get chipped. Only issue is that since the front side of shield is clear/glossy, you can't go flat.

·
Registered
869 Posts
those pics look good, but the problem with most flat black paint is it looks kinda grey. if your not happy with how it looks in the sunlight I'd suggest getting a satin black paint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does look kind of grey, but it is darker than the paint which gives it just enough separation to look good. I put a rubber stopper on the back of the center screw, so I should be ok if it droops over time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That looks slick, I like it. I may look at doing the same, I have a sliver RL and plasti dip grille/wheels so the flat look may go well. Thanks for the share

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Checking this thread out again I think I like it even more than I did originally. I think it looks pretty bad a$$, kudos for taking the time to do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How's it holding up?
Its been a few months and I've had a few runs out in the desert and it is perfect. I also no longer have any concerns about it sagging in the middle, there is no way the screws will hit the paint. I would strongly suggest doing it if you have one, I love it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts