Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1997 Posts

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shopping for a flat screen HD t.v. to put in my family room. I am curious what others think the pros, and cons of an LCD t.v vs a plasma t.v. are. I have been researching them for about a month or so, so i am looking for real world application issues, or advantages.

Currently I am leaning towards a LCD model, 32" or maybe a little bigger if I can talk the wife into it. I am going to have it mounted on the wall, but on a mount that can allow the t.v. to be brought away from the wall if needed.

The prices I am seeing are around $900 for the t.v. (L.G., Sharp, Panasonic), and $200-$300 for installation that will hide all the wires, etc.

I am looking to buy after the Super Bowl hoping that the retailers might drop the prices a little after the demand to get one purchased, and installed before the game. I just want it before the MLB baseball season starts.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: Flat Panel T.V's LCD or Plasma?

Personally I am not a fan of Plasma TVs. I have four LCDs and they are all great; I have a 32" Samsung and 3 Olevia's (26", 32", and 37"). You can find some decent deals in the weirdest places. I have heard that the amount of light in the room as well as application may make the difference for you.

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

Video Gaming was my determining factor with going LCD...

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

VT, thanks for the input, I have read about the issue in regarding a room with alot of natural light. For me the application will be watching sports, and movies.

Right now I am looking at the regular spots (Best But, Circuit City, etc)., because I need the installation done as I am not the handy man type. I have never bought anythig at Circuit City, we are more of a Best Buy Family.. But whoever can get me the best price, and install it will get my business.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Jim,

4 months ago i bought a 50" Plasma TV (HP) HDTV. One drawback on Plasma is it is very heavy compared to LCD. But the refresh rate is much better on the Plasma and no matter what anyone says the picture is better on the plasma. All you have to do is look at them side by side and you will see. Video gaming? The plasma is great!!! The HP's (hewlitt packard) has a "white wash" in case you get a "burn in". I haven't had to use it yet because it has a "burn in protection" feature. The price at best buy for the exact same tv i purchased is 1899.00 right now. Make sure whatever TV you buy has HDMI connections. HDMI will provide you the best picture and sound quality. HDMI = high definition multimedia interface. It does digital picture and sound both ways. My tv is a Hewlitt Packard model PL5060N. Check it out!! If you do decide on a HP model there is one thing you need to know. If you are going to program it for a universal remote you will have to use the "philips" tv code. (philips makes the TV's for HP)

Hope this helps.

I think the 42" HP is 1499.00

PS. Lighting is not even a factor for this TV

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Big Red,

thanks for the info on Plasma.

The weight issue was one reason the LCD has my interest, but I am going to look at them side by side, and the HDMI is a definite requirement.

The price is a big sticking point, I dont want to spend over $1000 for the t.v. max, because I will have to fork over an additional $300-$400 to get it installed.. I was lucky to get the wife to agree to spending that much. So that I believe limits me to a 32", or 37" max size. Which will be an improvement over the 27" Sony I watch now.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

How about putting the mounting fees into the price of the TV and doing the install yourself? It's simple to do.

Yes the Plasmas are heavy but the stud mounts on the mouting bracket to a great job. Just something to think about.

I didn't want to hide the wires in the wall in the event the wife wants to rearrange the living room. I just bought a component cabinet to hold my cable box and surround sound system and put that right under the tv and it hides the wires.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

Jim,

I'd have to concur that plasma is going to give you the best overall picture; however, the smallest plasma sets available today are 42" so if you're really firm on having a 32" set you're going to be limited to LCD. My "man cave" presently has a 55" Mitsubishi CRT-based rear projector which is soon to be replaced with a 60-65" rear projector. The only thing keeping me from switching to plasma in there is the cost but I'm determined to have at least a 60" screen. In our bedroom we have a 32" Runco LCD and it's a great set. I'd have put a plasma there but we were space limited and only had room for a 32" unit.

You might want to take a look at some of the new "tabletop" DLP or LCoS rear projectors as an option since they're generally less expensive for the same size image. JVC just announced two new "slimline" HD-ILA (their version of LCoS) 1080p units that are much, much thinner than previous models - a 58" (HD-58S998, now shipping) at $3,300 that's just 10.7" deep and a 65" (HD-65S998, ships in March) at $4,4400 that's only 11.6" deep - both are wall-mountable!

Whatever you decide to purchse you'll definitely want HDMI input(s) and since you live in the Chicago area you might also want to check out Tweeter and Abt as alternatives to Best Buy. The new Tweeter store in Oak Brook is pretty fabulous and they have a really well-trained staff and do excellent installations.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions either here or via PM.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Big Red,

I am not that handy in regards to projects involving things like that. I dont really touch anything that has to do with electricity, or water.

So the install is important, and was one of the promises I made to the wife, in order to get her to sign off on it. The t.v. had to be installed right, and she didnt want to see any wires. Luckily there is only one wall in the room I am going to put it in that would be a logical place for the t.v. so it wont move once it goes up.

Sometimes I wish I was more handy in regards to things like that, but I am good at other things that others may struggle with like gardening/outdoor projects, and cooking.

I am trying to get in touch with my local handyman I have used for some things in the past seeing if I can get a better rate for the install. I live in a small town where the cost of living & sevices is alot less than closer in to Chicago so I may get lucky there.

Either way Saturday, I will go out, and narrow down the field, I have been researching on the internet up until now.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Plasma has the better picture but the plasma does generate a lot of heat and 1 thing that people may not know it the fact that plasma is a no no at certain altitudes,,,of here in colorado you don't want plasma as it takes oxygen to run. I do believe lcd lasts longer and the picture i get on my sony hd is amazing. they have 720p and 1080p with multiple hdmi connections. My 40 in lcd weighs about 40 lbs total and takes up very little space. There is still some burn in issues but they have improved a lot on the plasma's. My vote goes to lcd and if ya wait about a month the prices are going to drop as there are some manufactures out there that are going to come out with some very large ones which means the smaller ones are going down

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thanks for the input/tips, coloradorockin..

Like I mentioned I can wait a month or so, my goal is to have it in by Spring Training, and if I can save a few $$ thats even better.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

chisoxjim said:
I am currently shopping for a flat screen HD t.v. to put in my family room. I am curious what others think the pros, and cons of an LCD t.v vs a plasma t.v. are. I have been researching them for about a month or so, so i am looking for real world application issues, or advantages.

Currently I am leaning towards a LCD model, 32" or maybe a little bigger if I can talk the wife into it. I am going to have it mounted on the wall, but on a mount that can allow the t.v. to be brought away from the wall if needed.

The prices I am seeing are around $900 for the t.v. (L.G., Sharp, Panasonic), and $200-$300 for installation that will hide all the wires, etc.

I am looking to buy after the Super Bowl hoping that the retailers might drop the prices a little after the demand to get one purchased, and installed before the game. I just want it before the MLB baseball season starts.

Thanks for any input
Thanks for the thread. I am also looking at pros and cons as I am going to buy 46-50" range. One thing I have found for hiding wires is a stick on plastic paintable "track." All of your wires go in the track which then closes. You then just have one flat plastic track running from the tv mount to the baseboard. It can be painted so it looks great. If you are mounting in a corner, they make them for corner mounts too. Use this, make the argument it might need to be moved sometime and put the install cost on a bigger tv!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

Hi,

I friend of mine is just completed a similar evaluation and went with a Philips 42'' LCD and has been happy. I'm far from an expert in the field, but I do subscribe to a mag called Sound & Vision which has had a few good articles on the subject. Seems like for the ultimate best picture plasma is still the way to go especially for larger sets, but the differences may be negligable and plasma has some detractors like they run quite hot, use more energy, still have burn in problems and are on average a little or a lot more expensive going in and a lot more expensive to repair. They are also quite a bit heavier which may or may not be a factor.

If you are going from an analog TV to a digital and are going to be watching standard and HD broadcast you may notice a bothersome at first amount of pixelation on some standard broadcasts. It was just one of the differences my friend had to get used to with his new LCD TV.

Not too long ago dead pixels was one of the issues discussed with LCD displays, but they seem to improved in that area. LCD's also didnt react fast enough for some kinds viewing, but I think thats escentially a thing of the past. One thing for sure is that both technologies are moving forward and you do have to make your evaluation, put your money down and not look back. Thats the hardest part for me.

I have a 6 year old 53'' HD (1080i) capable rear projection that I'm hoping will last a few years longer until the industry settles out a bit more (probably never happen) Its still a 4:3 aspect ratio, but 75%?? of the stuff outthere aside from movies is still that way, so you still cant win. Either you have side bars somewhere or stretch images or something, but there isnt a perfect solution. With an external antenna and tuner I get outstanding free local HD programming from San Francisco which is about 60 miles away. Since most everything you buy now has an HD tuner, you might check out www.antennaweb.org to see what you might be able to get over the air in your area. And of course there is the audio side of things....my 2 cents anyway

·
Registered
10,401 Posts

The smallest consumer plasma TV is a 37" Panasonic, not a 42".

There are many considerations to your choice. $1000 is going to limit you to either a no-name brand 42" plasma on sale or a low to mid level 32" LCD. There will always be exceptions, people blowing out product. Be careful what you are buying. Manufacturers like Syntax-Brillian (Oleivia) will call a "monitor" a "TV". A TV has a built in tuner, a monitor does not. Monitors are significantly cheaper than TV's.

Plasma .vs LCD, each has their pros and cons.

The glass screen that is so attractive on plasmas can be a problem if your room has a lot of incidental light. I have installed them next to sliding glass doors successfully but the light angle has to be right. The one thing that plasma has over LCD is analog performance. Plasma is a phosphor-based technology like a CRT, and thus offers a fantastic compromise in video performance between analog and digital signals. Hopefully, by 2009, this will start to go away, but like everything else driven by the FCC and big $$$, it will take some time. In the meantime, a plasma will have excellent analog and digital performance. They are also fast, and will process images quickly. This is important to gamers. Most plasma TV's today are 720p, although Hitachi has a 1080i panel and the 1080p sets are starting to arrive. Burn-in is practically non-existant on the higher quality panels. Panasonic is on their 9th generation, Samsung on their 7th. They have conquered this problem.

LCD's are lighter and cheaper, and really look great with a digital signal. Analog performance varies significantly, so make sure you check it out before you buy. If you have DBS, then this is not an issue. LCD's have a plastic screen, so glare is less of a problem with them. Speed also varies significantly. Even some of the best LCD screens cannot keep up with the latest game consoles like the PS3, and smear the image.

Too bad you're in Illinios, I could offer you a nice installed deal.

·
Registered
580 Posts

My advice, based on previous threads of similar content, is to listen to MoosePond. He really knows his stuff. No offense to everyone else. I really didn't bother to read anyone's advice here this time. I've got a pretty high end system that MP trumps in spades. So, based on his wiping me off the planet, I bow to him as the video guru.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Having both a plasma and LCD I would have to disagree with the above that plasma is better. I have a better picture quality on the LCD. It is hard to compare in the stores because you are right on top of the unit. When standing right in front of the unit like you do in most stores the LCD's look like crap but if you can view both from further away you'll see LCD IMO has the better picture. MY LCD also gives me a better viewing picture when sitting off on an angle compared to the plasma.

32" seems small for a family room. Check with the dealer you plan on buying from to see what size TV is recommended for the distance from the TV to where you'll be sitting. IMO don't buy a TV on a budget, buy what you like best in the size you are looking for. If you can't afford it just hold off, those tax returns will be coming back soon. Don't just buy one of these units for the sake of having one.

If you are going to use the TV for gaming then don't go with anything less than 1080p. As they release new systems (PS3 for example) they are recommending 1080p. I am not positive but I think they are recommending 1080p for the blue-rays now. Either way check out a 1080p unit versus something less and you will see a huge difference. I was just pricing a unit that was 40 something inches for the bedroom and ran $2,800 by Samsung. I am guessing the 32" will be over a grand.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

32" to 37" hopefully will be enough for me, and I am seeing a HP 32" @ Best Buy for $799, I call it a family room, but it is really a den, so not a huge room. Once I finish the basement I plan on getting a larger set up.

I am not a technofile so I dont need a top of the line system, just something to watch the ball games, and movies on. As long as I get a brand that I have heard of I will be happy.

In regards to buying on a budget, thats how I have to operate, wish it wasnt the case., :) I am actually using part of my February mortage payment for the purchase, I get to skip the payment because I just refinanced my house yesterday.(got rid of that variable rate mortage...yeah...):)

Moosepond, thanks for the tip on ABT, and Tweeter, I will check them out as well.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Another rarely mentioned factor is energy consumption. A plasma display uses more than double the wattage of a LCD. A plasma in the 50" range uses over 500 watts!
Thats more than a sixties vintage tube-type color TV used and you could nearly heat a room with those things:D
That might not be important to your decision but you should be aware of it.
Unless you are a gamer who leaves a static image on the screen for long periods of time, burn-in is simply not a problem. Picture quality should be great on either type, enjoy!

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

dk,

thanks for the input, keeping the electric bill down is an important angle. Especially since the local utilities were able to raise residential electric rates after a 10 year freeze. My bill went up about $15 per month over last year.

I checked out Tweeter, and abt on line, and their prices were a bit higher than Best Buy or Circuit City,

I did see a 42" Sylvania Plasma HDTV for $999. @ Circuit City

·
Registered
524 Posts

Jim, Check out the install from Best Buy my Nieghbor had it done for the 42" Sanyo, the 500 dollars did not cover any wire or any parts but the wall bracket, they failed to tell her she needed an electrician to install a outlet in the wall at the bracket for power and all the other wires, it ended up costing a lot more after the electrician and new monster cables ETC.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

eagles,

thanks, I read what the install would cover @ Best Buy, and Circuit City, and it seemed to include running the wires in the wall, and to an electric outlet, and satellite outlet within 10 feet. I will make sure to cover all the bases, that would be a major disappointment to get the t.v. home and not be able to use it.

I have to get the dish guys out already to set up the room where I will put it since I dont have a t.v. currently in that room.

1 - 20 of 1997 Posts