Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1981 - 1997 of 1997 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don’t think they make plasma tv’s anymore but I bought mine in March 2010 and the picture is still great. Back then, I paid a thousand bucks for it. LOL !

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've most certainly been following the technology and have seen them in person. Yes, they are stunning in general and are basically in a battle for TV technology supremacy right now. Each have their pros and cons, but they are light years ahead of typical LED-LCD technology of even 5 years ago. My 65" 2014 8-series 4K in my game room is still performing well for me, but the blacks and backlighting on it pale in comparison to newer sets. A QLED or OLED would blow it out of the water in nearly every category and can now be had for approximately the same price as what I paid for mine. Even plain old cable company high def looks quite good on one of these things. True streaming 4K signals are mind boggling. Of course, all of these new sets have absurdly overdone colors and contrast in the stores for the "wow factor", but a properly calibrated one is simply stunning.

My next purchase will be a 75" 4K with HDR likely a few years from now. I was really hoping Samsung was going to stick with OLED, but they've gone full-bore into their own QLED quantum dot technology. When I get serious about buying such a large, expensive TV, I'll do the necessary research into everything and if I stick with my love affair with Samsung products or I jump to the OLED craze with an LG or Sony. Time will tell.
I own a Sony X940E. It was 6k when it was released. Getting down to the last ones. Amazon has them for $1999 which is a frikkin steal for this panel. OLED like blacks and contrast ration without the burn in risk. Have a look and read the rtings review of the panel. I"m very impressed with mine,.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don’t think they make plasma tv’s anymore but I bought mine in March 2010 and the picture is still great. Back then, I paid a thousand bucks for it. LOL !
Forgot to mention this is a 50 inch TV.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
^^ My brother in law still has my old 50" Samsung 8-series plasma from 2008. He uses it for TV, gaming, movies, etc. as his main screen. It is still performing extremely well for being almost 12 years old now. Blacks are still better than many newer LCD displays, colors are about as vivid as you could imagine and there are no signs of it quitting any time soon. Part of me wishes I would have pulled the trigger on a 65" Panasonic plasma before they all disappeared, but I'm just going to wait until the newer tech (QLED/OLED), gets a bit more affordable in the 75" range. My 65" 2014 Samsung 8-series is still a fine display, but, as I said previously, pales in comparison to the newer QLED/OLED sets I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
I'm still enjoying my 65" Sony X900E I bought in February 2018. I'm satisfied with the blacks thanks to full array local dimming, but the remote requires very precise positioning to be received and the TV can be turned off with my TiVo remote, but not on. Weird.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I've got a 59" plasma Samsung from about ten years ago. It's mounted on a downstairs wall, and perfect picture in a room with few windows.

It's a Smart set, but the smart features are lacking, being over a decade old. We use a Smart Sony DVD player attached to it for those features.

The TV also doubles as a screen for a hi-po desktop computer with LAN. It's cool to zoom through Google Earth, including StreetView, with no lag.

Plasmas definitely have their place, but it seems their day in the market is gone.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
^^ It's been about 5 years now since the last known manufacturer of plasma displays (Panasonic) discontinued production. I still remember almost pulling the trigger on a 65" ST60-series Panasonic as it was on sale for $1499 in early 2014. I kick myself regularly for not doing it. Panasonic announced not long after that time that they would stop making plasmas altogether. Prices for the remaining new ST60's shot up to well over $3000 and there are even some still available from various sources with asking prices of over $5000. Who would pay that, I'm not sure, but it goes to show how much many people loved the technology.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an old plasma that I purchased way back ... probably 15+ years ago. It’s a Pioneer and, at that time, it was the hot ticket. It still works very well and is my football / golf TV in the basement get away bar room.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a Panasonic P65VT30 that is about 8 years old and still going strong. Great picture and no motion blur was the reason we bought this TV, along with it being at Crutchfield in their outlet center, se we got it for less than what a new one was going for at the time. When and if I upgrade, it will probably end up being something larger, like an 82 inch or so. Really like the plasma and hated to see it go away. Great picture!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
As much as I'd love to have a 75" screen, I just can't bring myself to pay an outrageous amount of money for one right now. My 2014 Samsung 8 series 4k in my game room still works perfectly fine. It does provide quite a nice picture - especially when streaming in real 4k. The black and dark details aren't quite as good as I'd want them to be, but it's still an edge-lit LED-LCD TV rather than the newer full array or OLED. I'm intrigued by the new 9-series QLED 8K sets from Samsung, but it seems pretty useless when normal TV broadcasts are still in 1080i. As streaming speeds increase and more content is filmed in 4k or 8k, I'm sure it will be more of a draw. I'm still keeping my eye on OLED technology as it is quite simply breathtaking to see. I'm still wary of the inherent issues that plagued early large OLED screens similar to what was present with early plasma screens back in the early to mid 2000s. Just as color fade, shorter life spans, high heat production and other plasma problems were addressed, so to will those found with OLED.

I did design and build cabinetry around my game room 65" last year, but positioned the in-wall speakers and spaced the cabinets to allow for a 75" to fit perfectly in the space. One of these days in the somewhat distant future when I'm not paying exorbitant monthly fees for daycare, I may just treat myself. Who knows what kind of crazy technology we'll be talking about then?!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
As much as I'd love to have a 75" screen, I just can't bring myself to pay an outrageous amount of money for one right now. My 2014 Samsung 8 series 4k in my game room still works perfectly fine. It does provide quite a nice picture - especially when streaming in real 4k. The black and dark details aren't quite as good as I'd want them to be, but it's still an edge-lit LED-LCD TV rather than the newer full array or OLED. I'm intrigued by the new 9-series QLED 8K sets from Samsung, but it seems pretty useless when normal TV broadcasts are still in 1080i. As streaming speeds increase and more content is filmed in 4k or 8k, I'm sure it will be more of a draw. I'm still keeping my eye on OLED technology as it is quite simply breathtaking to see. I'm still wary of the inherent issues that plagued early large OLED screens similar to what was present with early plasma screens back in the early to mid 2000s. Just as color fade, shorter life spans, high heat production and other plasma problems were addressed, so to will those found with OLED.

I did design and build cabinetry around my game room 65" last year, but positioned the in-wall speakers and spaced the cabinets to allow for a 75" to fit perfectly in the space. One of these days in the somewhat distant future when I'm not paying exorbitant monthly fees for daycare, I may just treat myself. Who knows what kind of crazy technology we'll be talking about then?!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Sony has made and still does make one of the finest sets there are with their XBR line. I've just simply been a faithful Samsung buyer for over a decade now. They've never let me down and I don't see myself straying from them. It would be like buying a Ford pickup rather than a Chevy. Even then, I will always keep my options open if I become submersed in the market for that 75" display.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had one plasma, a Panasonic, and some control module died after a year and a half. About $200 to repair and 18 months later the same thing. Fool me once.... LED since then. That said, the LED I replaced it with died this week. Shopping for a 65" that won't kill me. I've been spending too much on my new to me Ridgeline!!

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
A friend of mine replaced his early Sony 55" LCD with a new Samsung 82" Q6 yesterday. I connected and configured it for him. What a disappointment! The picture had an overall blue tint, the reds were exaggerated, people looked like plastic, and the contrast ratio and reflections were terrible. I turned off all the "enhancers" and adjusted everything I could, but nothing helped.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
A friend of mine replaced his early Sony 55" LCD with a new Samsung 82" Q6 yesterday. I connected and configured it for him. What a disappointment! The picture had an overall blue tint, the reds were exaggerated, people looked like plastic, and the contrast ratio and reflections were terrible. I turned off all the "enhancers" and adjusted everything I could, but nothing helped.
Roger, I've found that newer Samsungs out of the box are exactly this way. Everything this exaggerated so it "wows" the 90% of people who have no idea what true-to-life color and picture is supposed to look like. I turn off most of the picture enhancing nannies and still use the Disney WOW bluray disc to get a decent calibration on the picture. I've found that the Warm1 setting is the best one to begin the calibration. Normal/Standard is too blue and Warm2 is too yellow. Other than that, I'm not familiar with the internal settings of the newer Q line, but it is certainly the one that I would be targeting as a replacement to my current 65". If I had to buy one today, it would be the 75" Q7 series.

1981 - 1997 of 1997 Posts
About this Discussion
2K Replies
152 Participants
IanRTL
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing