Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1941 - 1960 of 1997 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Interesting. Coincidentally, that site recommends the UN65KS8000 as a 65" model that fits within my budget which was the same model that my research kept pointing to recently.
That caught my attention as well. btw, had not seen this site before but they appear very professional and like the fact that they include much more independent technical data than just about any other I'm familiar with, including pre- and post-calibration data.

Kia and Hyundai have a great warranty and some nice looking vehicles, too. :) The image of Vizio being a price-leader brand at Walmart is still too fresh on my mind. :(
Given the diminished supply of specialty retailers, I think that it's pretty understandable for manufacturers such as Vizio to sell the more mass-market portion of their product line through mass-market retailers. Heck, you can even find their M-Series on the floor at Costco, alongside Samsung & LG. btw, Walmart also carries LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic so, using your logic above, they should also be out of consideration. N'est pas?

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
Given the diminished supply of specialty retailers, I think that it's pretty understandable for manufacturers such as Vizio to sell the more mass-market portion of their product line through mass-market retailers. Heck, you can even find their M-Series on the floor at Costco, alongside Samsung & LG. btw, Walmart also carries LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic so, using your logic above, they should also be out of consideration. N'est pas?
I understand what you're saying. Neither Sony nor Panasonic started out life as entry-level, price-leader brands at wholesale clubs unlike Vizio. At only 14 years old, Vizio is just a baby compared to other brands that have been around for the better part of a century. How much that actually means is open to discussion. I just can't wipe off the cheap perception I have of Vizio the same way I can't wipe it off of Kia. Unfortunately, I'm also the type of consumer who pays $50 for Levi jeans when $15 Rustler jeans from Walmart are just as durable. However, you'll never see me spending $400 on a pair of True Religion jeans!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I understand what you're saying. Neither Sony nor Panasonic started out life as entry-level, price-leader brands at wholesale clubs unlike Vizio. At only 14 years old, Vizio is just a baby compared to other brands that have been around for the better part of a century. How much that actually means is open to discussion. I just can't wipe off the cheap perception I have of Vizio the same way I can't wipe it off of Kia. Unfortunately, I'm also the type of consumer who pays $50 for Levi jeans when $15 Rustler jeans from Walmart are just as durable. However, you'll never see me spending $400 on a pair of True Religion jeans!
You're too young to recall the much more humble beginnings of Sony, when the Tushinsky brothers (of Superscope and, later, Marantz fame) were importing cheap Sony transistor radios and tape players (and, initially, delivering them to dealers out of the trunk of their car). The first Sony televisions were 9" B&W portable sets and their first "stereos" were what later came to be known as tabletop systems with a record changer and AM/FM tuner/amplifier in a single chassis and two chintzy separate speakers (which usually got connected with 22ga bell wire).

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I'm in the same mindset, but you really can't downplay Vizio anymore, just as you can't deny some of the quality products that Hyundai and Kia are putting out. It's all due to the reputation they got years ago for being entry-level and "throw away" vehicles. Vizio makes some excellent products now and I actually purchased my first one recently. I have been a Samsung junkie for a very long time. I rarely look for any other brand. When we wanted to get a smart-capable TV for our bedroom, we settled on a 32". I began my research. The Samsung 6300 series was the best one in that size according to nearly every review website and source, but the Vizio E-series, at almost half the price, was by far the best value. The picture quality is great, the interface is intuitive and it's remarkably thin. The only complaints I have is the black levels are a little off and the sound quality isn't wonderful.

As far as a 65" 4K goes, I went against my normal methods and was an early adopter. I bought a 65" Samsung HU8550 4K in November of 2014 the weekend before Thanksgiving. It had an MSRP of $3500 and I bought it for $2200. I did not want the curved screen because I feel like it's a gimmick. It doesn't really do anything for picture quality or improving viewing angle. The only downside to this TV is that even though it's edge backlit with local dimming, the black levels are not quite as black as I would want them to be. I can't fault the TV too much because, being that I had a great Samsung plasma for many years, I expect blacks to be on that level. I have noticed a bit of "back light bleeding" or "clouding" on very dark scenes while in a pitch black room. That being said, the TV is otherwise spectacular. True 4K content is STUNNING. I have calibrated the TV using a Disney WOW disc and am pretty satisfied with the results. The audio of the TV speakers is actually quite acceptable for normal viewing. It has a built-in mini subwoofer that does an admirable job of producing lower frequencies. There is a slight vibration of the back plastic panel that I haven't quite pinned down yet, but I rarely have the volume of the TV high enough for this to occur (use full surround system for movies and sports).

If it were me, I would be looking at the newer K8000 model for its value. It's currently right at $1899 at Best Buy and tests even better than my TV in most areas. If money weren't an object, you'd better believe there'd be an OLED in my game room. $5000 is a lot to pay for a piece of technology that will be $2000 in just a few years, though. If you can hold off for another two months, the TV deals you get around Thanksgiving are crazy. I have no doubt you'd be under $1500 for a top of the line Samsung.

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
I'm sure I can and will hold off a few months. My main 55" Sony is kicking along just fine.

One of the things that really bugs me is the lack of user interface quality that is often found in "cheaper" brands. Example:

Sony
Video Enhancer ON/OFF
Turning this feature on increases contrast, brightness, and color saturation while reducing noise.
In this example, the parameter name and its description are clear and properly worded.

vs.

Samsung
Superpicture On/OFF
Turning on to improving vision quality of moving picture.
In this example, the parameter name doesn't mean much without a description. Unfortunately, the description is obviously a poor translation and does little to describe what the feature actually does.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Samsung has settings like "Dynamic Contrast" and "SmartLED" which control individual sections of the TV depending on the screen image to enhance certain aspects of the image. Usually, these settings are minimized or even turned off during a proper calibration due to the fact that they can overcompensate for certain images and not enough for others. The control factor simply isn't there. Even then, the differences between these settings are quite subtle and cannot be differentiated by the vast majority of viewers. The rtings.com settings offer certain guidelines, but only a calibration of your particular unit will yield the best results.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
We are such video nerds! All of my industry friends are in Dallas right now for the CEDIA Expo (trade show for custom installers), so I'm hopeful there'll be some interesting news about further OLED offerings and, hopefully, some lower pricing on my/our favorite display technology. There's been a rumor that Samsung and Panasonic will be making OLED announcements soon and, of course, Sony could also decide to re-enter the fray.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
We are such video nerds! All of my industry friends are in Dallas right now for the CEDIA Expo (trade show for custom installers), so I'm hopeful there'll be some interesting news about further OLED offerings and, hopefully, some lower pricing on my/our favorite display technology. There's been a rumor that Samsung and Panasonic will be making OLED announcements soon and, of course, Sony could also decide to re-enter the fray.
There is absolutely no question that my next display will be an OLED. However, I'm not spending that amount of money on one right now. I've seen 4K content on an OLED display and, quite honestly, I've never seen anything like it. It's like the best qualities of plasma and LCD put into one unit and magnified by 1000. I think $2500 is about my upper limit on a TV. If Samsung jumps into the game and makes a 65" or 70" that I can get for $2500, I'd be posting my 65" for sale.

Good to see you back around here, Moose.

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
I should probably sit down, shut up, and hold out for OLED prices to come down. I've had lots of LCDs in various price ranges. My complaints have always been low contrast and poor viewing angles. If I buy a 65" LCD now, the 55" LCD will replace the 46" LCD in my bedroom, which is already a bit too big/bright for that purpose and the 46" will go to a guest room which has a 32" that will replace a 22" in the exercise room. The 22" will go in the closet or get re-purposed for something else. Then, if I purchased an OLED in the next couple of years they'll all shift down again and that'll mean a 65" in the bedroom which would be unreasonably large.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Think there is no question that all discerning videophiles will eventually be doing their primary viewing on OLED displays, it's only a matter of when. Couldn't agree more about them having the absolute best images I've ever seen on any display at any price! Like Ian I have seen the future and it's name is OLED.

Hopefully OLED prices will come down before my next major display purchase sometime next year for the new media room in NC. Recall when I had to wait like this before purchasing a plasma display a few years ago and it's not fun, but the outcome is worth it.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Think there is no question that all discerning videophiles will eventually be doing their primary viewing on OLED displays, it's only a matter of when. Couldn't agree more about them having the absolute best images I've ever seen on any display at any price! Like Ian I have seen the future and it's name is OLED.

Hopefully OLED prices will come down before my next major display purchase sometime next year for the new media room in NC. Recall when I had to wait like this before purchasing a plasma display a few years ago and it's not fun, but the outcome is worth it.
I was selling for major retailers when the first plasma and the first OLED hit the consumer market. In 2002, I worked for a Sony outlet and still remember seeing the 30" plasma on display for the first time. In a time where rear-projection was king of the big screens and giant 300lb tubes were still the norm, the plasma was breathtaking. Fast forward to 2008 when I was working part time for Best Buy. Sony was the first to market with an 11" OLED set that cost something absurd like $7000. I never saw it in person, but I can't imagine many people actually bought it. The next time I heard anything of the technology was a few years ago at the Pittsburgh Home Show where LG had a full booth showing their brand new displays. It was, once again, a breathtaking experience to see. As the technology becomes better and more affordable, I can only imagine what will come up next.

No matter what, TV providers are going to have to up their game. A typical 1080i HD signal is going to look fuzzy and terrible as these screens become more and more advanced. The days of the coaxial cable are not long for this world. I foresee wireless streaming services becoming the norm. Tiny HDMI devices like Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick will be the "cable box" of the future. No coax cable feeding it - just a direct link to a central hub or your internet router. I do have a Fire Stick and it's great to have for areas where coax isn't available. It is a little jumpy from time to time, but it works well. After seeing 4K via streaming services and Blu Ray, I've been completely spoiled.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If I recall correctly MSRP on that first 11" OLED from Sony was actually $10K and the first plasma displays that I recall seeing were the 37" SD units from Pioneer at $20K. Florida specialty retailer Sound Advice ran them on the cover of their annual pre-Christmas flyer the year they came out (2000?) and sold 22 of them on Thanksgiving weekend! The first time that I saw a really good demo of Pioneer Kuro plasma I thought that I might never see another flat panel to equal it - until I saw OLED! I'm not certain how anyone in the future is going to improve on that technology but it's gonna be exciting to watch. One thing that could happen, since OLED is potentially flexible enough to be rolled up, is a large OLED display that weighs only a couple of pounds you could attach to some sort of folding frame and take with you on the road for presentations or move from room to room as easily as moving a poster.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Is this the same tech in Samsung samoled phone displays?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Is this the same tech in Samsung samoled phone displays?
Essentially yes. I'm not clear on the specific differences between the various OLED flavors but think they all have far more in common than they do things that are different. From what I know all of them are to some degree inherently flexible.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Essentially yes. I'm not clear on the specific differences between the various OLED flavors but think they all have far more in common than they do things that are different. From what I know all of them are to some degree inherently flexible.
Good to see you back on here. Now if my 5' Panasonic Plasma ever wears out (that you recommended) I'll stay tuned for more sage advice.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Good to see you back on here. Now if my 5' Panasonic Plasma ever wears out (that you recommended) I'll stay tuned for more sage advice.
Glad to have been of assistance. Hopefully I'll be buying my first OLED within the next year so I'm going to do my best to stay up to date on what's happening with that technology. btw, I'm pretty much always available and will generally respond within a day or so whenever someone posts something on this thread.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
If I recall correctly MSRP on that first 11" OLED from Sony was actually $10K and the first plasma displays that I recall seeing were the 37" SD units from Pioneer at $20K. Florida specialty retailer Sound Advice ran them on the cover of their annual pre-Christmas flyer the year they came out (2000?) and sold 22 of them on Thanksgiving weekend! The first time that I saw a really good demo of Pioneer Kuro plasma I thought that I might never see another flat panel to equal it - until I saw OLED! I'm not certain how anyone in the future is going to improve on that technology but it's gonna be exciting to watch. One thing that could happen, since OLED is potentially flexible enough to be rolled up, is a large OLED display that weighs only a couple of pounds you could attach to some sort of folding frame and take with you on the road for presentations or move from room to room as easily as moving a poster.
It probably was that much. I do remember seeing it in BB's inventory computer and almost crapping my pants at the price. I'm sure Pioneer was first to market with the plasma technology. My experience was just the first time I'd seen one in person. It was a big deal at that Sony store when they arrived, so I assumed it was the "next best thing". OLED is simply stunning. I have no idea why Samsung, Sony and the other large manufacturers (other than LG) haven't pushed the technology. I'll continue to enjoy my 65" 4K LED-LCD until OLED is affordable and has a Samsung label on it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 60" LG Plasma TV. Can you guys recommend a good wall mount that tilts and swivels? Also, how can I best mount my comcast and DVD player? Does the comcast box need to be visible for the remote to work? I do like being able to see the time display on the comcast box. Looking forward to your replies. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
It sure is interesting to see how the types, sizes, features and (most of all) prices have changed is the past 10 years since this thread was started!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a 60" LG Plasma TV. Can you guys recommend a good wall mount that tilts and swivels? Also, how can I best mount my comcast and DVD player? Does the comcast box need to be visible for the remote to work? I do like being able to see the time display on the comcast box. Looking forward to your replies. Thanks.
I'll have to find the mfr of mine. I've got a hoss one in the living room. You mount your cable box and player on the back of the mount, behind the tv. All remotes work.

1941 - 1960 of 1997 Posts
About this Discussion
2K Replies
152 Participants
IanRTL
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing