Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I just bought an 08 RTL. Love it. Took it for the test ride...great ride. That was until I reached 55mph and above when I was driving home. I could feel an unbalanced vibration through seat and steering wheel. The truck itself was not shaking. I was thinking that there were flat spots on the tire(s). When I was in the dealership last night, the mechanic said that the tires probably had a flat spot but the the tire is a harder compound and that it would work itself out. He said that they would balance them. When I got home I checked the air pressure and it was different in all 4 tires! I do not think they did much. So, will it go away like he said or should I start pushing for replacements? The mechanic did say that it sat on a holding lot for a while before it came to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
That's good news. If I didn't get satisfaction, I would request the tires be replaced.

Stock Ridgeline tires last a long time and provide a smooth ride along the way. I've got over 60,000 on my stock tires and I am amazed how well they are holding up. I think mine will need to be replaced around 75,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
They are either flat spotted from sitting on the lot for an extended time or from the the truck being strapped down on the transporter or train car.

If the vibration doesn't work itself out within 150 miles of having at least 32 psi in the tires, have the wheels balanced. If the vibration doesn't go away after the balance, push for new tires.

Flat spotting is very prevalent in vehicles that don't move for extended periods of time that have inadequate tire pressure in the tires. I wouldn't worry too much until you have taken the steps I have suggested.

Let us know how it comes out. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just at the dealer again. I had a discussion with the head service manager about my tire issues. He wanted me to bring the truck back in. I discussed my issues as well as a pulsing in the brakes. He said that it sounds as if it is a case of "lot rot." He said a vehicle sits and the that the rotors develop some rust on them. Then the brakes are applied and then the vehicle sits. He said there could be some rusting that stuck to the pads???? Anyway, he said that the rotors will have to come off and smoothed out. The tires are going to be "road balanced" where it is some kind of high speed balancing. Then, the tire may need to be moved around the rim a bit. It all sounds good as long as it works. They did give me an 08 Accord loaner. Glad I never bought that car. It is a nice car for my mom or wife. I will write back on what the outcome is.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
jasspants,

Exactly the same issues I had with my 08. Yes the brakes do build up some rust and yes it can get imbedded into the pads. They way it was explained to me the area under the pads is less exposed to weather and stays fairly clear and the disc area that is exposed rusts, this is called "lot rot". It will normally clear up after a few miles, and in fact mine had gotten much better in the 3 days between getting the Ridge and getting to the dealer. As a good will gesture though, my dealer took the disks and cleaned them out and cleaned the pads. That stopped the vibration with the brakes and it has been smooth ever since. Mine also had flat spots on the tire from being in the lot for 3 months and that smoothed out too. Now it's nice and smooth!

After they smooth your pads, enjoy!:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dealer made good on the flat spotted tires and brakes. They made the adjustments on both....smooth sailing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts