Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Honda Pilot and I got a sharp object in one of my tires, my dealer plugged it from the outside in but come to find out isn't the best way to repair the tire. I am considering replacing that tire with a new one and getting the repaired tire repaired correctly and putting that on a full size spare. I know you are not supposed to change just one tire especially on 4wd vehicles but I only have 1,300 miles on my Pilot and the tread depth is about 9.5/32nds. The new tire tread depth is 10/32nds. Think I will be okay to replace it without causing any damage to the drive train? Does anyone know if Honda has any specs on changing out one tire?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Your plan sounds reasonable to me.

If it were me, I'd have the tire repaired properly (removed from the rim and patched on the inside, about $35-$40 in my neck of the woods) and just keep going on down the road. Keep the current spare in place.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I agree with CCC. A good tire shop can do a better repair and you'll most likely be fine for many miles down the road

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you guys a plug & patch would be the proper repair and last the life of the tire but I have been wanting to get a full size spare anyway. So I am thinking just doing it now but putting the new tire on the Pilot instead of the full size spare as long as it will not cause any damage to the drive train.

This is my main vehicle which I take on road trips with the kids so I am thinking a new tire would be best.

Any other thoughts on this matter? Will a new tire damage my drive train?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I agree with you guys a plug & patch would be the proper repair and last the life of the tire but I have been wanting to get a full size spare anyway. So I am thinking just doing it now but putting the new tire on the Pilot instead of the full size spare as long as it will not cause any damage to the drive train.

This is my main vehicle which I take on road trips with the kids so I am thinking a new tire would be best.

Any other thoughts on this matter? Will a new tire damage my drive train?
Opinion Alert. May not supported by scientific fact.

I do not believe the difference in tire size will make any appreciable difference to your drive train. The Pilot differential(s?) is set up to allow different rates. I doubt the VSA and anti-lock will notice the small difference. Many vehicles experience some minor differential tire wear due to poor or non-existent rotating.

I could be wrong but I don't think you will have any problems

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Of course, differentials compensate for different rotational speeds when cornering, not sure that would equate to the 'same thing' for different tire size when not cornering.

Personally, having gone through the hassle of replacing a pair of tires to make up for a tire that was not repairable, I err on the side of caution.
I say be happy it is a 'normal' flat... get a first rate repair and keep on truckin'!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
I agree that 1/64 difference in tread depth will not make a difference. I'd buy one tire myself in that scenario.

It would be much different if you had 5 or 6/32 remaining. At least it would to me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to stick to my plan.

I wish Honda would have something in the manual regarding changing out one tire and how much depth the other tires should have when doing so. A tech line for owners would be nice.

I called a local Honda dealers service dept yesterday and the adviser told me it was a myth regarding changing out one tire on 4wd vehicles that you can do it anytime and it won't effect anything. Hence I do not go to this dealer for anything.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
The dealer may be correct. Or not. There is no known documentation that provides any guidance in this area other than what the OM says. At least, none that I have found, specific to Honda and VTM-4.

That being said, there is too little wear difference at 1500 miles to be concerned about, imo.

1/64th diff? You can get much more circumference change than that with a tire pressure differential.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/1347216-post1.html

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The dealer may be correct. Or not. There is no known documentation that provides any guidance in this area other than what the OM says. At least, none that I have found, specific to Honda and VTM-4.

That being said, there is too little wear difference at 1500 miles to be concerned about, imo.

1/64th diff? You can get much more circumference change than that with a tire pressure differential.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/1347216-post1.html

I worked at a Subaru dealership in CO for a while. Subarus have viscous coupling differentials that are very sensitive to differences in traction by mismatched tires (at least according to them). The VTM system is much different, and I don't think that little difference in tread depth would matter. I can't believe a dealership would externally plug a tire these days. For one thing, an external plug voids every tire warranty that I know of. Second, when you shove a reamer through the hole on the outside of the tire, you can be certain you are following the puncture completely through the tire. Third, shoving that probe/reamer though the tire may cause belt separations down the line. As far as I'm aware, the only OEM approved repair is a plug/patch properly applied to the inside of the tire.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I would agree, that small I would not sweat it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool, thanks for the re-assurance guys. This will motivate me to get another wheel and get that full size spare together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts