Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how others peoples trucks are:

When on the floor and defrost I get no heat on the floor/airflow.

On the floor setting, there is no heat / airflow either.

How about your trucks... any airflow on the floor settingt

·
Registered
42 Posts
so I had a problem where I got face vents or demist only and then eventually just blew into the dash - nothing for the foot wells. Then the whole lot gave up.
They had to remove the dash and replace the heater box, blender motor and the flap that controls where the air goes.
Now I think it all works again, but on auto does swap between the demist and the face vents all by itself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On mine heat does come out the floor vent but it's pretty weak and really needs to be on "floor only" and fan speed 3 and higher to be felt. One problem is it doesn't blow on my feet, rather it blows way forward behind the pedals at the firewall.
I just drove it for three hours with the temp ranging from 25 and dropping down to 8. With it set to floor only, fan speed varied between 3 or 4, temp set between 67-69. My feet were warm the whole time but as the outside temp dropped my torso started to chill and I had to bump up to 68 then 69 and then up the fan to 4.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Damdog, sounds like they need to pull the dash and replace the heat system. That much difference between front and back is not normal. You have a bad heater core, a cold air leak or your blend doors are not working properly. Take it back to the dealer, this time with your IR temp measuring device.

·
Registered
154 Posts
On mine even when just set to floor there is much more air coming out the defrost. I have not found a setting other then off that stops the defrost. There seems to be plenty of air on the floor in the back though. The fan sounds like there should be more air coming out then there is too. I am not sure where it is going but it does not seem to be coming out the floor in the front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K ANDERSON.

I have a similar effect as you. Put it on the floor and it seems to come out more on the front window (Defrost).

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I am having the same problem, had it in 2 weeks ago, was told it is to spec. I put a temp gun on it, 13.6 degrees C at the drivers feet, 44.8 degrees C at the rear vents. It is completely unacceptable and seems to be not just my truck but many many others. Honda needs to fix this, if they won't, I want them to buy mine back. I had to drive a 2014 Silverado this week because my feet keep freezing.
As a prospective G2 RL owner living in an area with sub-zero winters, this concerns me. Knowing that the Pilot dash and front cabin are essentially identical to the RL, I briefly searched the Piloteers Forum and found a fair number of complaints about weak front floor heat in G3 Pilots. I did not find much evidence that these complaints were resolved to the satisfaction of the owners, which is troubling to say the least.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was into the dealership today with the heater issues as well, they showed me the tiny heating vent and it was directed to hit above the gas pedal, after they finally showed me where it was, I had to agree that there was actually heat coming out of it. So again this is a design issue and there is nothing that the dealership can do for me. I am almost tempted to take a saw to the vent and open it up to increase the air flow.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When I need some extra oomph from the floor vent (up front) when it's been 15 degrees out, I'll turn off the rear seat vent. (since no one's back there) Seems to help, but haven't done any scientific investigations to this though...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I test drove a RTL-T a couple days ago when it was about -5F. Good opportunity to evaluate the heater as the problems I'm reading about are making me think twice about a RL here in North Dakota. Luckily it was parked outside and stone cold. I let it idle a few minutes while I played with the infotainment, which I found to be my least favorite of all the vehicles I've test drove, just like what I've read. Once I got on the highway it warmed up just like any other vehicle, I didn't notice any issues, the fan was running pretty high though. However, once I returned to the dealership I sat in it idling while I felt for airflow on all vents, front and rear and defroster. I played with fan speeds and all settings. I did find a significant difference between the drivers side and passenger floor vents, the drivers side had a lot less airflow, especially with defrost/floor setting. The rear seat vents were warmer than any vent in the front. Defrost airflow was less than I'm used to (2004 Silverado) even on high fan but not terrible. As I sat there playing with it I noticed all heat output weakening, to the point of just slightly warm. I looked at temp gauge and saw that it dropped off from what it was while driving. Makes me wonder how well it would warm up once remote started below zero. I guess from the whole evaluation my biggest worry besides cold drivers feet would be a defrost that wouldn't get hot enough to clear my window in the conditions we have here. I don't know what to think of buying one now, as I love the truck except for the heat concern. The infotainment feels and operates outdated and feels like the processor running it is just too slow, but I guess I'd put up with it. The heat is the show stopper for now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Please let us know how it works out, at least they’re giving it some attention. I’m really hoping for a mid-cycle refresh before the 2019s to improve a few things, this being #1.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
^^^Me too, but I'm not at all confident that we'll see any changes until a mid-model refresh in 2020. The RL is just not a priority for Honda. Our best hope is that they are getting enough similar heating complaints from Pilot owners to compel a faster fix for this shared system.

But witness Honda's weak response to the frozen capless filler necks on RLs (also reported on Pilots), which really should be a simple fix. Funny how quickly they modified the filler door with a cap shroud on new CRVs and Accords, their sales leaders. RL gets no respect, even from Honda.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I wonder how many of these "heat" issues can be traced to too much casting sand left behind in the heater core?

If amount of heat blown on drivers side was the ONLY issue, I would consider installing my own piece of HVAC plumbing under the dash, with a 102mm 12v computer fan wired in to assist with air flow. Yeah, it's a lot of work that shouldn't have to be done to a $40k vehicle, but it still beats the pants off of the competition, as a whole.

I also wonder if some of these engines aren't getting TOO efficient at idle, to where they dont produce enough auxiliary heat. Common complaint among VW diesel owners.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts