Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Did anyone ever get resolution on this? It has been cold (for us in S. CA) this week with morning temp's in the high 40's. I've got a ton of fan noise but even after a more than 20 minutes of driving, I've got almost no air in the driver side footwell and my feet were freezing this morning. This can't be right.
40 degrees? Perhaps you can call in sick tomorrow.:wink:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ive just got back from a week at work in -40 celsius.

Our work trucks run pretty much 24/7 (they idle when not being used to keep some heat) and needed fuelled every couple of days

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ok so with 58°F outside temp, it took 8min for the RL to get hot enough the start blowing heat. I feel a slight breeze from the lower vents. Unfortunately it's cold compared to the defrost vents. I tried dialing up the temp to max, no change. Next I tried cycling the mode manually. Front/lower, Front, Defog/lower, lower. I could not get it to just blow from the lower vents. Sigh, I guess it's time to schedule an appointment with the service center. Thanks OP & others who brought this to I my attention. I'll keep you guys posted. Earliest update will be Tue. Hopefully they won't have to tear out the entire dash.

Update: drive home in the 70s. I took off my shoe this time since traffic was heavier. Raised temp to max. I can now feel hot air right above brake pedals. air is also not blowing from defrost vents. Also works when lowering temp to the 80s. I also tried manually cycling modes & lower vents seems to work now. IDK what's going on. Will test again in the morning.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^^^This is troubling and also bizarre that some owners say they have plenty of heat. Living in the north country, I need a vehicle that can keep feet warm and windshields clear of ice. It's just unimaginable that Honda built an HVAC for the RL and Pilot that cannot reliably perform those simple tasks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why didn't I think of this.

Seriously, I'm half Hawaiian and I think anything under 60 is too cold for reasonable human beings to live in. But when you live at the beach, your house isn't built with the insulation for these temp's and you don't have the clothes for it... it feels freaking brutal. I know, I'm a wimp. I own that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went skiing yesterday and which was the first time I had done so with the Ridgeline

Before my last run of the day I remote started it and it ran for the full 10 minutes and stopped

When I got close enough I remote started it again (probably around 10 minutes after it stopped from the first remote start) and it ran for around 5 minutes until I got back to it and switched over to a regular start and turned on the heated seats and steering wheel.

It took around 5 - 10 more minutes to get changed and put the gear away, by this time the vehicle was pretty toasty. It was actually pretty warm after the ~15 minutes of remote start. When I switched over to the regular start I noticed the ambient temperature in the cabin was pretty decent and the heated steering wheel was already on (not sure about the seats)

I was pleasantly surprised when we got going as to how warm it all was however I would say that the heating to the feet area is weak compared to the rest of the system. I rarely use the vents (don't really like warm air blowing at my face as I feel dried out quite quickly) so its mostly directed up to the front window and down to my feet. I actually switched over to feet only and my feet did get warm. I`d say it is sufficient but not impressive.

I did read on here somewhere that some owners had opened out a vent or vents which had improved airflow, this is something I might look into.

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Alright so here is my observation for the past three days. It was a lot of sacrifice for this spoiled southwesterner. Each morning in temps from 50-60°F, it took 7-9min before heat starts flowing. After some poking with my bare foot, I've located the driver floor vent. It is right above the brake pedal. What comes out is quite toasty. I've also notice each morning (and evening below 60°F) that the defrost vents are always on & manual selecting lower vents has not effect.

Here is the kicker, during the day in the 70s, defrost does turn off & you get a stronger flow of hot air! WTF, right? To me it is very unpleasant to have the upper cabin hot while the lower half almost freezing.

I'll try to go to the dealer to complain Mon/Tue & see if they will double check that mode pin mentioned another post.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Based on my last year's experience in temps half as cold, my guess would be that the G2 RL heater would be almost totally ineffective at highway speeds in the -40F weather we're having now...with chill factors in the -60 or lower range.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^^^Time to block off some of the airflow to the radiator by stuffing a piece of cardboard in the grille? Crude solution, I know, but it was effective for me in an older car with weak heater during sub-zero temps. I actually cut the cardboard carefully for a custom fit and then spray painted it black for durability and better looks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
^^^Time to block off some of the airflow to the radiator by stuffing a piece of cardboard in the grille? Crude solution, I know, but it was effective for me in an older car with weak heater during sub-zero temps. I actually cut the cardboard carefully for a custom fit and then spray painted it black for durability and better looks.

I'm aware of the old cardboard trick. The last vehicle I did that to was a 71 Dodge van with a slant 6.

I think it totally unacceptable that any vehicle today not have an adequate heater / defroster for any temperature. Even in the zero degree temps we had in December of last year, our G2 truck had some defrosting issues in 'auto' and total warm up was marginal. I had to full bore it to the windshield to keep it clean. I would say our G1 2009 RL was almost twice as good at fast warm up and total heat. The AC in the new truck works very well.

Fortunately this isn't a battle I have to deal with these days.
We leave in early January for the SW. It will be 73-74 here today.

Given the temps at home are colder than they've been in a while, I'm sure I would be inputting more here if I were there. Our truck saw -26F last year on the way out here and performed very poorly at highway speeds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
After two days of sub-zero temps, I'm in agreement that there is an issue with the amount of floor heat.

I do get heat quickly, but not in the right places. It's almost like there's a blockage in the system - wonder if the dual zone control has anything to do with it... I may try setting the driver side temp higher and the passenger side lower to see if the imbalance helps with the air distribution.

I'm not going to freeze to death, but surely am not going to get cooked - like I can when I drive my wife's CRV.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
30 Posts
I just purchased my 2019 RTL-E a month ago, and have been overall pretty satisfied with the heat up to now, with the exception of airflow to the drivers feet, as many before have mentioned. However, this morning and yesterday morning provided some subzero temps with which to see how well the remote start would warm things up. This morning, at -5F, 10 minutes of warmup barely put a dent in the cabin temps, and only warmed a couple of round patches of about 6" diameter on the lightly frosted windshield. Got warmer air after about 5 min of driving through the vents, but checked the driver's side foot well and could not feel any flow at all, with system set to floor heat only. I'll check it more closely when I get home this evening to see where exactly the duct is, but I felt all around down there with the fan running pretty strongly after getting to work, and could not feel any airflow. All other vents seem to be working well, though.

Also, is anyone aware of a hack to extend the remote start warmup time? Apologies in advance, going to do a forum search next.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^^^Definitely not something I want to read about in a 2019 RL when I'm looking at -20 this week in my neck of the woods. Anyone following the Piloteers to see if they're getting any resolution on this issue? Also wonder if Honda will address it with the anticipated 2020 refresh.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
30 Posts
I just purchased my 2019 RTL-E a month ago, and have been overall pretty satisfied with the heat up to now, with the exception of airflow to the drivers feet, as many before have mentioned. However, this morning and yesterday morning provided some subzero temps with which to see how well the remote start would warm things up. This morning, at -5F, 10 minutes of warmup barely put a dent in the cabin temps, and only warmed a couple of round patches of about 6" diameter on the lightly frosted windshield. Got warmer air after about 5 min of driving through the vents, but checked the driver's side foot well and could not feel any flow at all, with system set to floor heat only. I'll check it more closely when I get home this evening to see where exactly the duct is, but I felt all around down there with the fan running pretty strongly after getting to work, and could not feel any airflow. All other vents seem to be working well, though.

Also, is anyone aware of a hack to extend the remote start warmup time? Apologies in advance, going to do a forum search next.
OK, so the other day I got down under the wheel and finally found the floor duct and it did have warm airflow coming from it with the system set to floor heat only, albeit a fairly weak flow. Manually setting the fan speed to high did help increase airflow alot, but also made it pretty noisy in the cabin, so I guess that's a workaround. I am now wondering if there is actual cold air intrusion happening down there somewhere that is mitigating the little bit of heat there is?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've taken my Ridgeline to Dealer twice on malfunctioning heater. Two Problems:
1. No difference in airflow for Windshield+Floor mode and FloorOnly Mode
2. Intermittently the airflow for Dash+Floor goes to Dash+Windshield

I have clear evidence of Malfunction in this YouTube video:

Even thought the Service manager viewed video and agreed it didn't look right, the out was that the Dealer claimed that "heater is working as designed".

Great Truck ... Heater Sucks

Easy DIY project . Coupla Strips of trail marking tape and Carton sealing tape, and you can always visualize what the airflow mix is really doing. We need more folks documenting malfunctions. Note it is only 42 degrees out. Not cold enough for heating system thinking it needs to deice the windshield.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nice video documenting the abnormal behavior in cold weather. The kicker is when it's warmer out, setting the mode to floor only will behave correctly (no defrost). Undocumented "feature"?

I've taken my Ridgeline to Dealer twice on malfunctioning heater. Two Problems:
1. No difference in airflow for Windshield+Floor mode and FloorOnly Mode
2. Intermittently the airflow for Dash+Floor goes to Dash+Windshield

I have clear evidence of Malfunction in this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/mkBSnj0iUkQ

Even thought the Service manager viewed video and agreed it didn't look right, the out was that the Dealer claimed that "heater is working as designed".

Great Truck ... Heater Sucks

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 Ridgeline ALWAYS has 50% airflow out the windshield vents when set to FloorOnly. ALWAYS. No matter the outdoor temperature . I think that this is the root of most everyone's issue with poor heat to the floor.
Next step is to devise a method for removable blockage for the windshield vents.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^^^Makes you wonder how and where the Pilot/RL HVAC system was developed. Sure seems like a fail for those of us in cold climates. A modern vehicle should be able to deliver adequate heating and defrosting when temperatures drop below zero.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts