Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
My 2019 Ridgeline ALWAYS has 50% airflow out the windshield vents when set to FloorOnly. ALWAYS. No matter the outdoor temperature . I think that this is the root of most everyone's issue with poor heat to the floor.
Next step is to devise a method for removable blockage for the windshield vents.
I take your comment as true, but that would make the design error even worse. Even in moderately cold temps (single digits/teens) our truck will not clear the windshield on start up/ running without full defrost being utilized every few minutes. Auto doesn't cut it at all. In cold temps (0 to many below), the defrost has to be used even more, negating heat to the floor.

Without a doubt, the G2 truck is the poorest performing heating system I've had in a vehicle for over 30 years. Maybe more. On the flip side our G1 truck heater was more than adequate. MUCH faster warm up and distribution of air. The AC in the new truck works well.

There is no excuse for this today in any vehicle. As you suggest, I'm sure there must be a way to block the windshield vents, but the whole idea of having to modify a modern vehicle's heating system to just make it adequate is mind boggling to me and disappointing that Honda put this system on the street with so little testing

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've taken my Ridgeline to Dealer twice on malfunctioning heater. Two Problems:
1. No difference in airflow for Windshield+Floor mode and FloorOnly Mode
2. Intermittently the airflow for Dash+Floor goes to Dash+Windshield

I have clear evidence of Malfunction in this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/mkBSnj0iUkQ

Even thought the Service manager viewed video and agreed it didn't look right, the out was that the Dealer claimed that "heater is working as designed".

Great Truck ... Heater Sucks
While my 19 RTL-E was at the dealer having the recall addressed I asked the service advisor to look at this for me. It has been very cold (for us) here in the mornings with temps in the mid to high 30's. He agreed that heat to the drivers side feet is weak but compared my truck to three other 2019 Ridgelines on the lot (two RTL-E's and one BE) and they all behave the same way. The response was, you guessed it... "heater is working as designed". I'm frankly a bit shocked. I can remote start my truck, drive for 30 minutes and be nice and warm EXCEPT for my feet. I've never, ever owned a vehicle that didn't blow borderline scalding hot air on your feet once the engine is warm and full heater is selected.

I'm not being funny, but I feel for your owners who live where it is really, really cold. This is just a HORRIBLE design by Honda and I wish I knew a way I could make a point of letting Honda know it's horsecrap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While my 19 RTL-E was at the dealer having the recall addressed I asked the service advisor to look at this for me. It has been very cold (for us) here in the mornings with temps in the mid to high 30's. He agreed that heat to the drivers side feet is weak but compared my truck to three other 2019 Ridgelines on the lot (two RTL-E's and one BE) and they all behave the same way. The response was, you guessed it... "heater is working as designed". I'm frankly a bit shocked. I can remote start my truck, drive for 30 minutes and be nice and warm EXCEPT for my feet. I've never, ever owned a vehicle that didn't blow borderline scalding hot air on your feet once the engine is warm and full heater is selected.

I'm not being funny, but I feel for your owners who live where it is really, really cold. This is just a HORRIBLE design by Honda and I wish I knew a way I could make a point of letting Honda know it's horsecrap.
I know exactly what you mean about cold feet. :(

A great way to get noticed is to post to Social Media ... Way more visibility than this forum. Check out
https://www.facebook.com/pg/hondaridgeline/posts/?ref=page_internal ,
a Facebook Ridgeline "Fan" page. I got an immediate response from Honda for more information.
And yes, I am beginning to believe that Dealer is being truthful about "heater is working as designed." But .. a malfunctioning design is still a malfunction. The service advisor and service tech checked out a Ridgeline and Pilot. They all work the same ... ridiculously bad. With lots of air blowing out the windshield vents.
I plan to do another YouTube video this weekend, including my hand towel vent blocking fix.
I lodged a formal complaint to Honda. http://owners.honda.com/help/customer-relations
I filled out the Honda new car survey and rated the Automatic Climate Control a "-10" on a scale of 1 to 10.
I have made sure that the Dealer's Service Manager and Customer Relations rep know how disappointed I am in my new Ridgeline.
Still looking for more places to post and raise awareness

·
Registered
18 Posts
Horsecrap is right, no decent engineer in his right mind would ever "design" a HVAC to work as this one does, no floor heat is a result of a failure at the design stage and no follow up to correct in real world testing. The 2016 and later Pilot's have exactly the same problem. Comparing the output with other vehicles on the lot proves nothing other than they ALL have unacceptable hot air flow. When you have the climate control in AUTO, and demanding heat put your hand at the rear end of the centre console and feel the heat output to the rear seat areas, both left and right - why can't the same be provided to the front seat customers. You can manually select rear seat heat off, there is a very slight improvement in flow to the front. I have decided that leaving rear seat heat ON does get more total warm air flow to the cabin, but unfortunately it's to the wrong area. Very bad engineering work HONDA !!, fess up to it and get working on a fix - or make it mandatory that all customers are made aware of the poor system performance prior to purchase. Totally unacceptable performance and after sales service. I campaigned a number of dealers to see if anyone had found a fix, one dealer agreed that they have had a large number of complaints but their hands are tied, Honda won't pay for warranty repairs and they have been instructed to tell the customers "Checked and confirmed NORMAL operation."

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^^^As more owners confirm this HVAC design failure to be true, it's amazing that it hasn't garnered more attention in the auto press. I can see Honda giving RL owners the brush off, but there have to be thousands of dissatisfied Pilot owners as well. I suspect there is no easy way to fix this problem. Perhaps Honda should buy everyone a lifetime supply of chemical feet warming pads (snark).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I take your comment as true, but that would make the design error even worse. Even in moderately cold temps (single digits/teens) our truck will not clear the windshield on start up/ running without full defrost being utilized every few minutes. Auto doesn't cut it at all. In cold temps (0 to many below), the defrost has to be used even more, negating heat to the floor.

Without a doubt, the G2 truck is the poorest performing heating system I've had in a vehicle for over 30 years. Maybe more. On the flip side our G1 truck heater was more than adequate. MUCH faster warm up and distribution of air. The AC in the new truck works well.

There is no excuse for this today in any vehicle. As you suggest, I'm sure there must be a way to block the windshield vents, but the whole idea of having to modify a modern vehicle's heating system to just make it adequate is mind boggling to me and disappointing that Honda put this system on the street with so little testing
FYI, the Ridgeline has 2 blowers for the HVAC system. One in the dash and one near the glove box. Don't go plugging up things you don't understand.

Horsecrap is right, no decent engineer in his right mind would ever "design" a HVAC to work as this one does, no floor heat is a result of a failure at the design stage and no follow up to correct in real world testing. The 2016 and later Pilot's have exactly the same problem. Comparing the output with other vehicles on the lot proves nothing other than they ALL have unacceptable hot air flow. When you have the climate control in AUTO, and demanding heat put your hand at the rear end of the centre console and feel the heat output to the rear seat areas, both left and right - why can't the same be provided to the front seat customers. You can manually select rear seat heat off, there is a very slight improvement in flow to the front. I have decided that leaving rear seat heat ON does get more total warm air flow to the cabin, but unfortunately it's to the wrong area. Very bad engineering work HONDA !!, fess up to it and get working on a fix - or make it mandatory that all customers are made aware of the poor system performance prior to purchase. Totally unacceptable performance and after sales service. I campaigned a number of dealers to see if anyone had found a fix, one dealer agreed that they have had a large number of complaints but their hands are tied, Honda won't pay for warranty repairs and they have been instructed to tell the customers "Checked and confirmed NORMAL operation."
I'm in upstate NY and my feet have never been cold in my 17 RTL-E. I've put over 27K on this truck in 14 months. It's often in the low teens here and I'm in the truck before 0500 most mornings and often driving home well past 20:00 most nights.

·
Registered
475 Posts
FYI, the Ridgeline has 2 blowers for the HVAC system. One in the dash and one near the glove box. Don't go plugging up things you don't understand.
No worries. You're picking on the wrong guy. I was only answering a post. I'm not the one who wanted to try and divert anything. Given it has 2 blowers only makes it worse performing than I thought. Low teens is not cold where we live...just a normal winter day. -30/40F is cold. Never getting above 0F for days/weeks is cold. It was -18F yesterday morning. Our G1 RL handled these extremes nicely.

This is a very poorly designed system from a quality company. Our G1 was MUCH better. Both on faster warm up, hotter air, and MUCH better disbursement. The new one may be a tad better in the AC department.

·
Registered
250 Posts
No worries. You're picking on the wrong guy. I was only answering a post. I'm not the one who wanted to try and divert anything. Given it has 2 blowers only makes it worse performing than I thought. Low teens is not cold where we live...just a normal winter day. -30/40F is cold. Never getting above 0F for days/weeks is cold. It was -18F yesterday morning. Our G1 RL handled these extremes nicely.

This is a very poorly designed system from a quality company. Our G1 was MUCH better. Both on faster warm up, hotter air, and MUCH better disbursement. The new one may be a tad better in the AC department.
Sorry, not picking on anyone. Just don't see the issue as some do I guess.

I cannot say that this Honda, my first new one, is a quality vehicle. Mine has been in the shop at least a dozen times so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This Heating issue is the exact reason I joined here. Same issue, run the heater on Def/Floor and no heat to the floor while driving, I also have a fan output issue where it will suddenly jump like it's been hit with a nitrous boost! I was able to catch that one on video and passed it onto the service manager at my dealership who incidentally says he's never heard of this issue in the 2019's. I haven't read all 11 pages yet but from the short bit I have read I'm not holding out much hope in having this issue resolved. Too bad because I really like my Ridgeline, it's the second one I've owned now!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My issues are mild compared to others who have posted. My thermostat doesn't really work gradually. I have to turn it way up to get heat, and way down to get cold. There seems to be no in-between. Also, the temperature coming from my vents during hot summer months can fluctuate up to 7° with the cycling of the compressor. I've posted this before. I have remedied it some by keeping my a/c on recirculate, but the varying temperature is still noticeable. As hot as it gets down here in Southeast Louisiana, the compressor seems to be cycling too much. I'm sure it has something to do with the type of refrigerant Honda is using these days. I've read that R-134a can be put in as a substitute, but it may or may not be perfectly legal. If I ever have a major failure in the a/c system, I know what I will be replacing the refrigerant with. Right now the 1234YF is $100/lb. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/refrigerant-3695/chemicals---fluids-16461/air-conditioning-chemicals-16497/yf-refrigerant-19048/e590df7442c1/refrigerant-160-ounce-refrigerant/1234yf/4321745

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks. I have posted to this FB page. Will let you know if I hear anything back.
So extremely disappointed to share that it's been about three weeks and absolutely no response on FB. Thankfully it's warmed up nicely here in S. CA but I still think the HVAC design in this truck that I otherwise really loves leaves a lot to be desired and frankly would cause me to seriously reconsider purchasing if I lived someplace where it actually gets cold.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
30 Posts
We may not hear back directly from Honda anytime soon, but I'm guessing they are hearing us loud and clear and that's what's important. There's no such thing as a perfect vehicle, but for my money, this is one of the best and most technologically advanced out there. I bought mine this past December, but it wasn't until mid-January that I actually noticed my feet not getting as warm as usual- and the rest of the cab has always warmed up very nicely- so even had I known about it before I bought, it would still have been pretty freaking far from a deal breaker. Would I like Honda to address it? Absolutely. But, at least for me here in Ohio (soon to be in New Mexico) for the few weeks of the year that we get really cold weather, it's no big deal. And there is at least some heat coming out of the dang thing. Hell, maybe there'll be software update to the climate control system that will fix it. :act010: Should be good for me in the summer, I hate cold feet from my a/c! :hol010::eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone on this forum received satisfactory service from Honda regarding the floor heat & other heat issues or been told that Honda is taking this issue seriously and working to rectify the problem?

·
Registered
30 Posts
2019 heat issues FIXED! First off I have to tell you that I have the most amazing Dealership owner Satnam Rai & his Service Manager, Dean Brown at Yukon Honda. They fixed the issue with the lack of airflow to my feet over Christmas. I can’t tell you exactly how they did this, but they did!

However, what I can tell you is how the heating system works and it is going to challenge every ounce of your logical thinking. Set your temperature on 23 on both sides turn your fan down to one bar, yes down. If you turn the fan up and it gets cold. It is -36 C here today which for my American friends is -33 F. With my heat set like this it was 154 F in my truck! Leave the rear heat & fan set to high as it has it’s own heater core.

Honda should be rewarding this dealership for all the time that they have taken to keep me in this truck. I really like the truck but I kept putting the heat on high and the fan on high and it ends up being 60 F in my truck and you can image how that feels when you are driving around at -40.

I really hope this helps others!

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
30 Posts
OMG can you please find out what your service team did to resolve the airflow to the feet?!?! Thanks for posting this, it gives me hope for a fix. No fun driving around in winter with cold feet, and I can't imagine what it's like at those temps where you are! Brrrrrrr!

·
Registered
30 Posts
OMG can you please find out what your service team did to resolve the airflow to the feet?!?! Thanks for posting this, it gives me hope for a fix. No fun driving around in winter with cold feet, and I can't imagine what it's like at those temps where you are! Brrrrrrr!
It was pretty cold. There really is a fix!! You just need to have smart people with an amazing work ethic who don’t mind a challenge and can think outside of the box.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
30 Posts
It was pretty cold. There really is a fix!! You just need to have smart people with an amazing work ethic who don’t mind a challenge and can think outside of the box.
OK, that might be asking a bit much for most dealerships... :oops: But, at least I will give it a shot and give them the Yukon Dealership/service manager info as a reference!

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK, that might be asking a bit much for most dealerships... :oops: But, at least I will give it a shot and give them the Yukon Dealership/service manager info as a reference!
Honda would be doing everyone a favour by contacting the dealership, figuring it out and implementing a fix and also updating the manual so that all the owners & dealerships can “learn” the art of this unique heating system. I have been driving for over 35 years and it is the first time I have ever encountered a situation like this. I have owned this vehicle since February of 2019 and it has taken this long to figure out the heating system.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts