Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
143 Posts
600 miles on our new '19 RL. My wifes first driving complaint, "My feet are cold." :cautious:
I was fine with, & would prefer a more manual heater control. Stop thinking for me, manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
2019 heat issues FIXED! First off I have to tell you that I have the most amazing Dealership owner Satnam Rai & his Service Manager, Dean Brown at Yukon Honda. They fixed the issue with the lack of airflow to my feet over Christmas. I can’t tell you exactly how they did this, but they did...I really hope this helps others!
Hmmm...not really much to go on here. Setting temp to 23C is same as 73F. Other posters have also noted that lowering the fan speed gives you warmer air, so no new magic there. In fact, folks are saying low fan speeds don't keep the windshield clear. Unless your dealership is willing to elucidate on the remedy they've devised, I don't think a solution for cold feet is at hand for those who need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2019 Black Edition does not heat my feet either! I took it into the dealer with 3,200 miles and they said it check out per their specs. Wen they showed me it worked, they had the heat set to floor and fan on high. I did feel airflow with these settings, but I leave the system set at 68F in Auto Climate Control. This is not acceptable. Why did I pay for an Auto Climate system and it does not work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2017 and always thought the foot well heat seating was broken.
At least I know I am not alone withe the inadequate foot well heat.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you are not getting good air flow to your feet from the heater check the heating duct down by the driver's feet. I found mine had a plastic blockage (or flash) in the end of the duct . I broke it off using a pair of pliers. Air flow was much improved and I have not had a concern since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wondering how others peoples trucks are:

When on the floor and defrost I get no heat on the floor/airflow.

On the floor setting, there is no heat / airflow either.

How about your trucks... any airflow on the floor settingt
I found three problems causing lack of heat on our feet in late model Honda Pilots. Same as a Ridgeline. This is based upon my 2017 Pilot LX.
First -- Honda apparently designed the "feet only" setting to also split air to the windshield. This is just like the setting that splits it between the window defrost and floor heat. Exactly like it on my 2017. If you adjust the setting from "defrost and floor" to just "floor", the air flow does not change AT ALL going to the windshield. Honda Master Tech verified this at a Honda dealership, but would not declare it a problem since all the other Hondas checked did it to some degree also.
Second -- under the dash and above the gas pedal is the terribly designed "splitter elbow vent" for distributing the floor air. It is WAY too restrictive. I removed this "splitter elbow vent" and modified it by machining the openings MUCH larger. See attached pictures.
Third -- the "splitter elbow vent" snaps into a flimsy plastic manifold up under the dash. When I first removed it, it was not snapped in place. So a large percentage of the heated air was leaking out into the dash.

We can fix the second and third problems -- it is not comfortable to get to that "splitter elbow vent" -- but once it is opened up and properly snapped into the manifold up under the dash, then the amount of air blowing on my feet increased two to three times! Much better situation for winter in the Midwest! Note that I don't like to run my heater fan above "3" indicators as the really high fan settings like 4+ are quite loud. But if the fan speed is cranked up my feet get hot. And my eyes dry out from all the split air coming off the windshield defroster vents...

Hope this helps some people!

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I found three problems causing lack of heat on our feet in late model Honda Pilots. Same as a Ridgeline. This is based upon my 2017 Pilot LX.
First -- Honda apparently designed the "feet only" setting to also split air to the windshield. This is just like the setting that splits it between the window defrost and floor heat. Exactly like it on my 2017. If you adjust the setting from "defrost and floor" to just "floor", the air flow does not change AT ALL going to the windshield. Honda Master Tech verified this at a Honda dealership, but would not declare it a problem since all the other Hondas checked did it to some degree also.
Second -- under the dash and above the gas pedal is the terribly designed "splitter elbow vent" for distributing the floor air. It is WAY too restrictive. I removed this "splitter elbow vent" and modified it by machining the openings MUCH larger. See attached pictures.
Third -- the "splitter elbow vent" snaps into a flimsy plastic manifold up under the dash. When I first removed it, it was not snapped in place. So a large percentage of the heated air was leaking out into the dash.

We can fix the second and third problems -- it is not comfortable to get to that "splitter elbow vent" -- but once it is opened up and properly snapped into the manifold up under the dash, then the amount of air blowing on my feet increased two to three times! Much better situation for winter in the Midwest! Note that I don't like to run my heater fan above "3" indicators as the really high fan settings like 4+ are quite loud. But if the fan speed is cranked up my feet get hot. And my eyes dry out from all the split air coming off the windshield defroster vents...

Hope this helps some people!
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I mentioned this possible "fix" before but never got any feedback. For those who mostly drive alone, would it help to stuff a piece of foam in the passenger side floor vent to force more heated air to the driver's side floor vent during the winter?? The trick would be to remember to pull out the foam when you have a front seat passenger.

I know, it's absurd to have to do this on a new $40K vehicle! If this hack is effective, though, maybe someone with MacGyver skills can figure out a way to rig up a sliding or clip on "door" to partially or fully close off the passenger side floor vent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you! Some of your guys are very helpful!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
We can fix the second and third problems -- it is not comfortable to get to that "splitter elbow vent" -- but once it is opened up and properly snapped into the manifold up under the dash, then the amount of air blowing on my feet increased two to three times!
Excellent troubleshooting, thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
52 Posts
I performed the Fixed It! mod yesterday. Wifey will do a field test soon.;)
My only fix was the winter boots, but would like further instructions to removing ductwork as not to get into issues of reconnecting.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
143 Posts
My only fix was the winter boots, but would like further instructions to removing ductwork as not to get into issues of reconnecting.
Get under there with a light, just above where the throttle foot goes. You'll see a small duct opening, it needs to be enlarged. Jiggle it a bit & you'll see where it's held. I cut out the first step, next to the hole, to make one bigger hole. Get it in your hand & it becomes obvious. A short exam of the offending duct & you'll see where to cut it. Getting it back on, aligning things was a bit harder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get under there with a light, just above where the throttle foot goes. You'll see a small duct opening, it needs to be enlarged. Jiggle it a bit & you'll see where it's held. I cut out the first step, next to the hole, to make one bigger hole. Get it in your hand & it becomes obvious. A short exam of the offending duct & you'll see where to cut it. Getting it back on, aligning things was a bit harder.
Thanks and could be a good Covid19 at home project.
I also need to connect my brake controller while in position

121 - 138 of 138 Posts