Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
how did he disable the VCM before your test drive ??

Just wanted to post a follow-up.

The service manager was able to replicate my issue after I took him for a drive. He went back out with the diag laptop, captured data, and sent it to Honda's tech line. Tech line insists that what we're feeling is VCM engagement and there is no trans slippage. They're insisting that the vehicle is operating as expected. Manager was skeptical so he took an Odyssey out and validated that it does the same thing once warm, so he also disabled VCM on my Ridgeline and took it for another drive. The behavior disappeared. Whoever at Honda decided that a five-second rumble and tach bounce on the highway constituted an acceptable VCM experience needs to have their head examined, every other manufacturer I've used with variable cylinder tech has done it in a far more transparent manner (even Dodge, and they're awful).

Solid service experience with Honda of Grand Blanc MI, and I am very pleased with the effort and constant communication demonstrated by the service staff. This one is wholly a corporate problem, nothing wrong with the dealership at all.

Time to invest in a muzzler, I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 RTS 2WD. Have started noticing at lower RPMs 1000 - 1500, in lower gears, that I will feel the truck fluctuate in terms of power. Its consistent / like you are tapping your foot on the accelerator in a quick, repetitive manner. When it occurs the tach needle literally bounces; not wildely, but enough that it is easy to see. Also, you can feel the rhythmic pulse of power gain and loss. It will only stop when you speed up /raise the RPMs (usually over 1500).

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have a mechanic that I trust, but am wondering if I should take it to Honda.

Many thanks for any insight.

Steven
Hi - after multiple trips to dear - it was determined that the transmission fluid was bad (and needed an update). We thought fuel injectors and so on - but ended up being bad transmission fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - after multiple trips to dear - it was determined that the transmission fluid was bad (and needed an update). We thought fuel injectors and so on - but ended up being bad transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 RTS 2WD. Have started noticing at lower RPMs 1000 - 1500, in lower gears, that I will feel the truck fluctuate in terms of power. Its consistent / like you are tapping your foot on the accelerator in a quick, repetitive manner. When it occurs the tach needle literally bounces; not wildely, but enough that it is easy to see. Also, you can feel the rhythmic pulse of power gain and loss. It will only stop when you speed up /raise the RPMs (usually over 1500).

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have a mechanic that I trust, but am wondering if I should take it to Honda.

Steven

Steven

Steven
I have a 2017 2WD RTS and I am experiencing the same issue at low RPM. The issue just started recently. The vehicle is behaving exactly like you have described.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Steven
Steven this is exactly what is happening to my truck what did they say was wrong with your truck? I have a 2017 RTL-T AWD I am about to take my truck in to get looked at.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Steven this is exactly what is happening to my truck what did they say was wrong with your truck? I have a 2017 RTL-T AWD I am about to take my truck in to get looked at.
It is burnt (i.e. bad) transmission fluid. At some point, you must have driven at speeds that kept your torque converter from locking up for an extended period causing the fluid to overheat. The technical service bulletin on this talks about replacing your transmission fluid and if that alone does not fix the problem, reprogramming the transmission is the next step.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have this issue no codes can’t catch it on the laptop told me it’s gray logic and that it’s trying to anticipate what gear to use, but they had no answer as to why it took 3 years to start doing that or who would design a transmission to judder like that. Just had my fluid changed a few months back so the fluid is a none issue but I still don’t think they know, also told me I need a new battery and that might fix the issue, don’t know how a battery can affect the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience with a 2018 BE is similar. I'll be driving in a 55-70mph zone (top gear, in other words, say 1500-2300rpm). Cruise control and eco mode on. Periodically, I get a noticeable rumble through the vehicle, the green lights deactivate, and the tach visibly bounces up and down by maybe 200rpm. After 3-5 seconds, the truck "kicks" me forward in the seat very gently and the green lights come back up. It seems to mostly occur when I have gone over a hill, the cruise control backs off, and then comes back on at the bottom of the hill - that moment when it comes back on almost invariably causes the bounce and rumble. It feels very much like a torque converter lockup problem.

Separately, I used to have the 55mph rattle that others have complained about, which seems to have been tied in to the VCM TSB... this problem self-resolved at some point. It's possible that when I did my 10,000mi oil change it was addressed without my knowledge by the dealership, but I don't remember exactly when it stopped.

I'm planning on taking it to the dealership Thanksgiving week due to both this issue and a terrible hood flutter. I'll follow up based on that interaction.

Did this problem ever come back? I had this virtually exact same problem at about 33k miles. Took to the dealer maybe 4 times over a 3 month span. Originally it was unbearable because there was a loose piece of cover plastic that would vibrate and sound like I was going over a rumble strip. They secured the plastic (which they said they would have never unclipped or become unclipped on its own) said nothing was wrong with my vehicle each time and its how my VCM and it was acting correctly (eventhough it definitely started 1 day in June, which is supported by this plastic that by their logic was never clipped in ever violently vibrating before) ... they said if my check engine light isn't on there is nothing they can do for me, they can just take $130 an hour to check things I think it might be (like my engine mount). They definitively said it was not my transmission when I suggested that. They said otherwise come back if I get a dash light or more symptoms. In 2 months ago I started getting I started notice non linear acceleration and the bouncing tach, especially under light resistance between 40-50mph. It has gotten much worse recently, I called back, and they said there is nothing they can do for me if "my dash isn't lighting up like a Christmas tree". Taking it to a new dealer and will suggest this trans fluid flush and reprogramming. It looks like in this thread there was a tech bulletin on this, which is very frustrating if that is the case and I was blown off and now my vehicle is out of warranty at about 40k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did this problem ever come back? I had this virtually exact same problem at about 33k miles. Took to the dealer maybe 4 times over a 3 month span. Originally it was unbearable because there was a loose piece of cover plastic that would vibrate and sound like I was going over a rumble strip. They secured the plastic (which they said they would have never unclipped or become unclipped on its own) said nothing was wrong with my vehicle each time and its how my VCM and it was acting correctly (eventhough it definitely started 1 day in June, which is supported by this plastic that by their logic was never clipped in ever violently vibrating before) ... they said if my check engine light isn't on there is nothing they can do for me, they can just take $130 an hour to check things I think it might be (like my engine mount). They definitively said it was not my transmission when I suggested that. They said otherwise come back if I get a dash light or more symptoms. In 2 months ago I started getting I started notice non linear acceleration and the bouncing tach, especially under light resistance between 40-50mph. It has gotten much worse recently, I called back, and they said there is nothing they can do for me if "my dash isn't lighting up like a Christmas tree". Taking it to a new dealer and will suggest this trans fluid flush and reprogramming. It looks like in this thread there was a tech bulletin on this, which is very frustrating if that is the case and I was blown off and now my vehicle is out of warranty at about 40k.
They flushed my transmission fluid 3 times and it fixed the problem it was a known problem and they did it for free it came under their service bulletin basically they had to reprogram I think the tranny because it was leaving the torque converter open and frying the tranny fluid causing it to slip

·
Registered
3 Posts
They flushed my transmission fluid 3 times and it fixed the problem it was a known problem and they did it for free it came under their service bulletin basically they had to reprogram I think the tranny because it was leaving the torque converter open and frying the tranny fluid causing it to slip
Thank you so much for the follow up! I called the new dealership ahead of my visit and mentioned the service bulletin. They knew what I was talking about immediately before I finished my sentence, they said it is a common issue and will be handled under warranty... When I dropped it off they said they recently did about 20 of these... The issue is covered under the ECM and/or Transmission 8/80k warranty ... so I will be covered even though I am at 40k now. It's just crazy a dealer would give up and say there is nothing they can do without even checking the relevant technical service bulletins... or look at your car several times without checking them... or say that there can't possibly be something wrong with your car if its not throwing a code... or refuse to look at your car again even though you say it is accelerating erratically... I even specifically mentioned the ECM and Transmission at my first appointment, but was told if it was one of those, it would throw a code.... it was the VCM and everything was normal. Conicelli Honda in PA if you want to know where not to take your truck.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts