Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the full power steering flush with a tube into a container wile the engine was running. I replaced the reservoir and even flushed the reservoir after the new genuine honda fluid cycled through.

The power steering works fine, but the pump is still screaming. Does the flush take time to work? Any other thoughts to fix the problem other than replacing the pump?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Not suppose to have the motor running higher chance of running the pump dry for to long and killing it. So you either killed it or you have air in the pump. Suppose to get the tires off the ground/motor off and do it that way. That way the movement in the rack flushes the fluid through

But... if you have air trapped..get the wheels off the ground and sit there and turn the wheels left and right at a quick pace to try and push the bubbles out. Could take a little while but if it doesn't get better you might be looking at a new pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine did that 2 years ago. I used an aftermarket additive from LUCAS. (White bottle with mostly blue lettering).
You can find it at most auto stores, I just happen to have been at advance auto.
No flushing just replacement and I have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did that flush a year ago, it screamed a little and the fluid was not clear (lots of air bubbles) just did a lock to lock with the steering wheel, held it in the lock for a few seconds then it quieted down.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Mine did that 2 years ago. I used an aftermarket additive from LUCAS. (White bottle with mostly blue lettering).
You can find it at most auto stores, I just happen to have been at advance auto.
Yeah, I would try patience & the lock-to-lock method to get the air out.... BUT, if you are looking at replacing the pump anyway, I'd go with Crazyx2's suggestion & dump some aftermarket conditioner in there to see if you get lucky. It wouldn't be the first time that a fix-in-a-bottle worked on something.
It can't hurt once you're at the point of tossing the pump anyway.

Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I've completely flushed the system and replaced the reservoir but the whine that sounds like a supercharger is still there.

Does it sound like the next step is to replace the o-ring as air may be leaking in?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've completely flushed the system and replaced the reservoir but the whine that sounds like a supercharger is still there.

Does it sound like the next step is to replace the o-ring as air may be leaking in?
Definitely do that (cheap part)... you should have done that when you changed out the reservoir. But I doubt seriously that is your problem.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
I think we need to establish that in fact, the PS pump is creating the whine. Are you absolutely, positively sure it's the PS pump?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we need to establish that in fact, the PS pump is creating the whine. Are you absolutely, positively sure it's the PS pump?
Had a mechanic take a quick look at it and he used the "stethoscope" to pinpoint where the noise was coming from so I am pretty sure it is the power steering.

With that said, my AC does not work so any chance he was wrong and it is the AC compressor? It sure sounds like it is coming from the PS pump to my untrained ear.

On another note, I changed the O-ring with no improvement in the whine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It the steering jerky at all, that would indicate air in the system? How about removing the accessory belt and spinning each components cog by hand? That may help single out which one is making the noise. Also with the belt off, start the truck and see if the noise is still there, that will help narrow down that the noise is coming from something driven by that belt. (No worries, the water pump is driven off the timing belt).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My p/s pump has been making noises since it was replaced after the new rack and pinion blew a seal after the original was replaced due to a leak. It's been quite irritating. I haven't tried lifting the front to do the lock-to-lock procedure. Sounds like something to do this weekend and maybe try some Lucas p/s stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you gotten the front tires off the ground and done lock to lock yet?
You mean to get all the old fluid out?

I pulled off the return line and ran the engine a few seconds to get the fluid out but I may not have done as good as I should going lock to lock during the flush. The new fluid in the reservoir looks fairly clear so not sure if it needs to be flushed again.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

I pulled off the return line and ran the engine a few seconds to get the fluid out but I may not have done as good as I should going lock to lock during the flush. The new fluid in the reservoir looks fairly clear so not sure if it needs to be flushed again.
He's telling you to put the front tires up off the ground, run the engine & turn the wheels lock-to-lock. This is not about getting fluid out... it's about getting any residual air out of the lines/system. 'Could be trapped in the rack portion of the system.
Try this & see if you notice anything change. Be sure to do this several times, just to exercise the fluid through the system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's telling you to put the front tires up off the ground, run the engine & turn the wheels lock-to-lock. This is not about getting fluid out... it's about getting any residual air out of the lines/system. 'Could be trapped in the rack portion of the system.
Try this & see if you notice anything change. Be sure to do this several times, just to exercise the fluid through the system.
Aaaaahh....got it. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
^^^THIS^^^ I just drained the reservoir and filled with the Lucas Power Steering Fluid. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Doing the way you did it, is very easy to run the pump dry and ruin it and get excessive air bubbles in the system. You more then likely have a ton of air in the pump.

You need to do lock to lock until it quiets down but make sure you keep an eye on the reservoir and make sure it doesn't start sucking air.

If you want to do it again the more efficient way.....

Front tires off ground. Return line disconnected and extended to a empty container and reservoir return line input/nipple blocked off.

Turn wheels right to left/lock to lock until reservoir is just empty.

Refill reservoir. Repeat until fluid comes out clear. Re install return line. Fill reservoir slightly above full line/ Start vehicle and turn wheels lock to lock until all if any air is out of system. Check reservoir. fill if need.

Doing it this way allows the rack to act as the pump with no weight on the tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just tried that without success. Added the Lucas and no immediate improvement. I believe I have tried everything. Any last thoughts? Replace the pump? Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone verify the color of the PS pump inlet and outlet high and low pressure O-rings? Low pressure red, high pressure black? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Negative on the o-rings as far as colors go but sizes are listed below.. Did you do the flush because it was screaming or did it start screaming afterwards? If you can have the truck down for a weekend I would try and rebuild the OEM. It is super easy.

high pressure o-ring outlet (O-RING (14.4X1.9))

O ring for the feed hose inlet to the pump O-RING (13.0X1.9

1 - 20 of 59 Posts